NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/11/22 2:54 p.m.

I don't know if this is a tech tip or what but I bought one of these and have used it and I think it is worth sharing.

I bought a new truck and it didn't have a trailer brake controller installed. I wasn't sure if I liked the truck and I was going to keep it so I was hesitant to spent good money on a trailer brake controller (again like I do on every single vehicle I seem to buy). Then I saw this unit from Curt.

I was skeptical and I worried about not being able to see it all the time. I used it last week for the first time and I can say it worked great. You can set it up and then forget about it or you can keep the app opened and use the manual brake button. You can also buy a separate button t activate the brakes manually if you don't want to have your phone out. The best parts for me is;

1- Zero wiring (if you have a 7 pin trailer wiring set up). I suspect you could run it on a 4 pin with an adapter and that would work fine too.

2- I can move it from vehicle to vehicle and I change vehicles regularly.

3- It saves 5 profiles so if you tow multiple trailers you can save them by name and not have to adjust settings whenever you switch trailers.

Curt Website

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/11/22 2:57 p.m.

This idea blew my mind. I just found out about this recently. Really cool. What's the delay like when you manually press the 'button'?

NY Nick
5/11/22 3:30 p.m.

In reply to iansane :

It is instant. No delay at all

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/26/22 10:28 a.m.

I've got one as well. Not a lot of use, but no issues. 

There's also a dedicated Bluetooth brake button you can use instead of having the app up on your phone. 

It is worth given some thought to positive retention of the device though-- it's a rather spendy unit to have dragging on the road should it come loose.  

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
9/10/22 7:26 p.m.

I was going to get one but the reviews say that if you have Pandora/Spotify  or a map running that you can't also have the curt app up. I'd want to be able to have it up all the time in case I needed to stop sway or panic stop. Have you tried that?

NY Nick
9/10/22 7:36 p.m.

In reply to chandler :

I use Google maps with it almost every time I use it and haven't had any issues. I can't speak to the other apps. 

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
9/11/22 3:50 p.m.

Thanks, going to order one as a backup 

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
9/11/22 4:45 p.m.

Cool. 

I've been a fan of Curt trailer stuff for a long time.

We have a Triflex controller in every tow vehicle.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8GeU9qUDz6UAL2OFN0HjVGeviuTuTIgQfxZ6dmAPAasw6xSM2pyeDFanbsDY0DCF