nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/22/22 1:31 p.m.

Now that all the $2000 challenge stuff has been finalized, I wanted to talk about an Idea for this summer.  We’ve talked in a few threads about how cool the Parking-lot Challenge build is, and how awesome it would be to do a “Junkyard Wars” type event with GRM forum members.  I’ve honestly tried to figure out how to make it happen and I just can’t get there, Everything always fell apart at the insane logistics of providing working spaces and tools replicating your personal shops at one location for multiple teams.  Then it Hit me (Well hit the BDT as we’ve been talking about this for a few months). Why get together in 1 place with Dozens of people when we have Well equipped shops all throughout the country. Why not get together at SEVERAL shops around the country on the same Weekend and have a Build-off type event.  Establish some very SIMPLE ground rules just to make there be some kind of stakes but really just have a bunch of regional parties for people to get together and thrash on some things. Document the regional builds in a mega build thread where people who can’t be at the builds can watch from afar.

What you build is entirely up to you but in the spirit of competition at the end of 20 hrs you go on Sunday and run a local Autox with the car.  You can determine the scope of what you do, there are no rules or limits on the project. This doesn’t have to be a “make a Running car out of scrap in 20 hrs”.  You can literally do work you had planned on a project but just get forum members together and document it. The main idea is Dig a project out of the back of the shed, have some friends bring Food and parts and Hands, and throw something together.

What we would want to do is find a weekend that people are available and there are several autocrosses nationwide.  IDEALLY, we would use the same weekend as it’s just more fun if a bunch of people kicked off their builds at the same time.  I’d like to try to stick to that until it proves logistically difficult or impossible as that is part of the “Junkyard Wars” influence.

So with that idea I’ve came up with some “basic ground rules”.

20HR Garage-Wars

The Idea:  Combine the spirit of the $2000 Challenge Parking-Lot build with a Local team and local events, with a Bit of Junkyard Wars excitement.  Get people together in your local area and create something over 20 Hours of partying. The scope of what you want to do is up to you.  It can be as ambitious as attempting a 20 Hr MR conversion to a hot hatch, or as simple as doing brakes and a suspension swap on a Miata. Drag a forgotten project out of the shed and get some people together to smash it together in 1 weekend.  The point is Thrash, Document what you started with and ended with, and Drive it.

The Rules:  Your Team has 20 Clock Hours of build time to modify/resurect/build/prep a car to run at a Local Autox immediately at the end of the 20 hours of build.   

1. Vehicles must be a 4 wheeled contrivance based on a vehicle originally intended for street use in the United States (Includes Kit Cars).  
  2. Race car chassis may be utilized provided the body installed substantially resembles something that meets item 1.  
  3. Tech will be up to whatever event you run.  Make sure your build will be permitted to run at your local events Discretion.  Your build may be limited by what you can legally run.  This is your job to figure out. Example: AMod is not actually an anything goes catchall.  
  4. Your build must be documented on the GRM website.  
  5. Don’t be a Bob Costas.  We just want to have fun.  

There is no Budget component of this event.

This is entirely for Fun.  There is no entry fee and your adherence to the rules is entirely up to you.  

The competition:  Build a car and compete locally at any Autox.  The goal would be for all builds to occur on the same weekend with builds starting ~5PM Friday and completing in time to run an Autox on Sunday.  The 20Hr time limit exists to prevent you from trying to stay awake from 5PM Friday until the Autox on Sunday. An online “concourse” will be conducted by all competitors to determine whose work is the coolest.  

The Scoring: The Autox portion will be scored by comparing your Raw Time (RAW) to the Average PAX/RTP time for your event.  (Sum All Competitors PAX / # Competitors) / RAW. Yes making a faster overall car is better, Yes you will not directly compete against other Teams.  

Concourse Points will be awarded in a completely arbitrary manner by your team.  When you are done you will rank all builds. Results will be totaled for the rank of each competitor.  The competitor with the lowest total wins. Example: 5 teams, Team A gets 3 #1 votes and 2 #3, total 1+1+1+3+3 = 9, Team B gets 3 #2 votes, 2 #1 votes, Total 2+2+2+1+1 = 8, Team B wins the concourse.

Prizes:  NONE …. . . For now.

So what does everyone think?  Any other people interested? Check you calendars for summer events in your area and we can see if something can work.   

The Bad Decision Triangle is planning to do something for this either in Chicago, Indy, or Mahomet, Il and run at a CCSCC or Indy event at Grissom.  We haven’t settled on a Date. We just want to have a get together and this seems like a fun excuse.

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
2/22/22 1:42 p.m.

Imma watch this like crazy. Logistics are difficult for me, with only about 5 GRMers I know of within a days drive, maybe 4 depending on how you define 1 days drive. And I am not a central location so I can't volunteer anything but my time. 
Still though, seems like a great idea if it catches on. 

*edit. 
Nocones, I don't think this section gets anywhere near the traffic as the main section or even off-topic. Imma start a thread in the main section with a link to this thread. Logistics will be difficult, we need as many eyes as possible on this thread. 

nocones
2/22/22 3:22 p.m.

In reply to barefootcyborg5000 :

Thanks!  You mean most people don't just use the "Latest topics tab"?  To be fair I didn't event realize this was a forum section until I found it to post this thread.  Probably should of put it in Grassroots Motorsports but oh well.  

You could always fly somewhere to participate in some areas build.  Or better ati fly somewhere, buy a build, thrash to get it running and drive it home!

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
2/22/22 3:41 p.m.

I feel like certain contingents would have an unfair advantage. Atlanta, Ohio, and Florida come to mind. 

But I'm in Florida so.....

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/22/22 3:49 p.m.

In reply to nocones :

Why am I just now hearing of this? 

nocones
2/22/22 4:18 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

I am sorry.  I should of told you.  Mistakes were made.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
2/22/22 4:19 p.m.

The Pennsylvania team is going to be based out of York, I assume.  Sounds like fun to me!

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/22/22 4:22 p.m.
nocones said:

In reply to bobzilla :

I am sorry.  I should of told you.  Mistakes were made.

I mean I know I'm no mastermind or fabricator but dang man.... I can cut E36 M3 good. 

Somebeach (Forum Supporter)
Somebeach (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
2/22/22 4:57 p.m.

Seems like a cool idea. I have project cars and parts but not a lot of skills. 

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy PowerDork
2/22/22 6:09 p.m.

I like this idea.  I'm gonna go ahead and commit to participate. 

Gumby's one corner of the BDT, so I assume he'll do/host something.  If not, it'll just be the two of us Bob.  I'll shoot you a text.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/22/22 6:27 p.m.
nocones said:

This doesn’t have to be a “make a Running car out of scrap in 20 hrs”.  You can literally do work you had planned on a project but just get forum members together and document it. The main idea is Dig a project out of the back of the shed, have some friends bring Food and parts and Hands, and throw something together.

I've been quietly trying to convince a local member to do something like this for a while now.

Was gonna call the thread "One weekend a month" or "On a random weekend" or something similar.

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/22/22 8:16 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Trust me, I so want to do this. I've been dealing with some pretty serious pain but a nerve ablation has helped immensely and I'm back to moving much better. I'm currently getting small projects knocked out and upping my physical activity. I still need to do a lot of reorganizing in the shop to make a work space, but I am getting there. I've got a buddy coming by next week to help me shuffle around some heavy stuff. I've got 7 possible projects on site to chose from. FWD,RWD, 4/6/8. Take your pick.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/22/22 8:20 p.m.

In reply to hobiercr :

I know you've been dealing with a lot.  I'm patient.

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/22/22 8:46 p.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy & bobzilla :

bobzilla said:

Why am I just now hearing of this? 

Because there isn't a solid plan yet, I suppose. If I host, yous are definitely invited. If Robbie or Dan host, then we can hammer out travel plans.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy PowerDork
2/22/22 8:58 p.m.

In reply to gumby :

yes

nocones
2/22/22 9:08 p.m.

I thought we would figure out exact timing once we had a feel for the number of teams.  I'm willing to drive to Robbie's or Gumby's, or host both, whatever ensures more people play.  Glad to hear the idea is overall favorable.  

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/23/22 8:58 a.m.

In reply to gumby :

If you don't want e there and you host you better hope its a weekend I'm out of town because you won't keep me away. laughHell, the Rio can find your place without my input.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/24/22 10:36 a.m.

So, maybe 3-4 teams forming so far? I'm seeing a PA contingent, a FL contingent, BDT, and possibly a far west group? Ohio?

Honestly this feels like a great opportunity to get a languishing project moving. Anyone with a project car that needs a push? (Ok ok you can ALL put your hands down now)

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/13/22 8:38 p.m.

I just stumbled upon this thread. Very interested. I work a lot of weekends, so participation is a challenge, but I'm in a good location and have a project we're going to be back on soon. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
3/13/22 9:01 p.m.

What's the projected timeline for this?  I could even host if the timing is right. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4X1nLlxRA4qB9RHtPYHsSR9DyRKYBUMqqYVPhHAsmRFncHKGfuNiCK6SZgUqGif8