1 2 3 4 5
mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
8/21/15 8:31 a.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ wrote: Consider this the trailer.

Your excitement over the donkeys is more entertaining than the actual donkeys. You two look fun.

java230
java230 New Reader
8/21/15 11:47 a.m.

Fantastic read! Thanks for taking the time to write it.

And I think its a great idea of the car being passed around for epic trips.

NOHOME
NOHOME UberDork
8/21/15 2:43 p.m.

I was surprised you did not try and co-opt one of the burros as a travel companion.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter PowerDork
8/21/15 3:46 p.m.

Sorry KS sucked for you. If I'd known, I woulda taken you to the best BBQ you will ever have, at a gas station, no less.

physician
physician New Reader
8/21/15 5:39 p.m.

So inspiring! I almost took a plane ticket.. but i remember that i do not have a valid passport... vacation time.. nor money...

So.. Nice trip, great writing, i hope it get published in the mag.. a youtube channel? I found it better than roadkill... less clowning more roadtripping.. :) If you decide to go to canadas north east, stop by :)

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 HalfDork
8/21/15 5:41 p.m.

A trip like this is has been on my "bucket list." I enjoyed the write up and pics.

bastomatic
bastomatic SuperDork
8/21/15 7:09 p.m.

Great trip report. Excellent choice in cars. 5 stars.

andxx0r
andxx0r New Reader
8/21/15 10:37 p.m.

I registered and then waited 24 hours just so I could post in this thread, and tell you how awesome that trip was.

THAT TRIP WAS AWESOME, YO.

RedGT
RedGT New Reader
8/21/15 11:49 p.m.
NOHOME wrote: And what becomes of the car now? Project, flip and repeat or...?

I was (am?) considering buying it. Have a 75 with a 302 in it, mild drag car, sentimental value, been sitting for 6 years, starting to get enough rust I wonder if its worth saving and I need to either move it or sell it in a month or two. Always figured no one gives a damn about a 4 door maverick besides me, and here chris goes and drives a rust free one across the country to my backyard. So. Seems like fate to me. My wife thinks theres no way I'm parking TWO mavericks in the garage all winter for a driveline swap. And I keep buying more parts to take my Miata hillclimbing next season. I need to flip a coin and decide where to waste money cause I can't do all 3.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
8/22/15 6:00 a.m.

In reply to RedGT:

Put a cage in the Maverick and make THAT the hillclimb car.

Although in my second-hand experience with doing hillclimbs (a friend from the MINI club runs a RX7 with his brother), don't run a car you're overly attached to.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Dork
8/22/15 1:18 p.m.

With the exception of the first couple of car shots, none of the photos are visible. There isn't even a thingie telling me the photos aren't visible.

Gary
Gary Dork
8/22/15 3:44 p.m.
Jerry From LA wrote: With the exception of the first couple of car shots, none of the photos are visible. There isn't even a thingie telling me the photos aren't visible.

I'm able to see all of the photos.

Jayisacarguy
Jayisacarguy New Reader
8/22/15 7:27 p.m.

Thank you for taking the time to write this! After reading it I feel almost as if I was there, which means alot because I've wanted to do the same thing for years now. Awesome story and awesome write up. I even had my wife read it when I was done! Like Gary's wife, mine would be up for the trip but it would have to be in something with AC and reliable, so really not the same caliber of an adventure haha. Where in PA are you, by the sound of it im probably not far from you, I'm outside Scranton. Been through the Lehigh tunnel too many times to count.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ HalfDork
8/23/15 6:04 a.m.

In reply to Jayisacarguy:

I'm in Quakertown, so not very far at all. If you have to take something more reliable, I think older is still better for this sort of trip- or, at the very least, something you really enjoy driving. We saw a guy who appeared to be doing the same trip in a C7 Corvette, I'm sure he was having fun.

Jeff
Jeff SuperDork
8/23/15 2:06 p.m.

Great story. I spent some time last night on Kijji looking at BC cars. Renault 5 across the Trans Can anyone?

Jayisacarguy
Jayisacarguy New Reader
8/23/15 6:47 p.m.

In reply to ¯_(ツ)_/¯:

I'll bet he was! And I couldn't agree more, I think an older car would fit the vibe of 66. I generally prefer them anyway. My version of the adventure would be very much the way you did it, buy something cool, old, and of questionable reliability, bring tools and head off. If I get to execute a trip on 66 it'll likely involve her CRV and much shorter distances between stops.....but I'd take it anyway! Again, I really enjoyed your story. Thanks!

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq Reader
8/23/15 7:56 p.m.

what a cool trip. thanks for taking the time to write it up as its just one of those things people want to do. I'm a sucker for a two lane road and even though I have covered a great deal of the southwestern US, I haven't done but maybe 50 miles of route 66. one day I will. here is my restored but already high mileage 280z (also a 77 ) in southern AZ. obviously I had to stop for this pic.

I fully agree on doing a trip like this in a classic car. there is something lost when the windows go up and the AC is on while blasting your Ipod thru 8 speakers. . . I like to hear the drone of the inline 6, and smell every acre with a heavy drivers arm sunburn. to do it in a brand new car would seem a little generic to me.

party on fellas.

stan
stan GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/24/15 8:35 a.m.

Thank you!

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
8/24/15 11:08 a.m.

Late to this, but what an excellent story! A perfect tale of the freedom of the open road in America.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ HalfDork
8/24/15 11:17 a.m.

In reply to 2K4Kcsq:

Oh MAN that Datsun is cool! I love the '77 on "77" thing that photo has going on. Datsuns were some of the only foreign cars we were considering for the trip, but in the end that "drive it to New York" line sealed the deal and I had to stop drooling over Z cars and mini trucks.

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/24/15 12:49 p.m.

Just searched "drive it to new york" on LA CL. I might make a habit of that.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/cto/5179335716.html

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/24/15 6:57 p.m.

When I returned to Vermont from 3 years in Atlanta I had the option of driving my 2.0 8v Scirocco or my 75 Stingray. Easy choice, the Stingray. My trip took 3 hours. Get up, drive 3 hours, have breakfast, drive 3 hours, have lunch, drive three hours have a snack, drive 3 hours, get dinner and look for hotel/motel. Lost a heater hose in NC. Coasted off the exit to a convenience store that wasn't very. Local drove me to parts store for coolant and hose repair kit. Stopped in Choconut(sp?), PA to visit with my ex's family and spend the night. Then off to Vermont in one blast through NY. Was an awesome trip. May have to do another long distance once the LT-1 is done and installed. You, sirs, have rekindled my spirit. Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to see the video.

physician
physician New Reader
8/24/15 7:19 p.m.
Jeff wrote: Great story. I spent some time last night on Kijji looking at BC cars. Renault 5 across the Trans Can anyone?

I'll follow you in the 5 speed volvo 245 i just found near vancouver... lol I'would take it to the cabot trail and back to Montreal...

Got to make that dream happen !

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq Reader
8/24/15 9:20 p.m.

In reply to ¯_(ツ)_/¯: yeah it would be very hard for me to put reliability and parts availability over cool car factor for sure. . . but if you ever decide to give it another go I would highly recommend a datsun. most trouble free miles I have ever traveled have been in that one (over both the European and domestic in the stable) and since they were so popular in the us, parts stores have most anything to keep you running. then again I also happen to love mavericks. . .

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq Reader
8/24/15 9:22 p.m.

In reply to vwcorvette:

that would be a very tough decision for me. . . if my wife and I had to make the decision together it just might end in divorce!

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pxuNzHAnEylay2OWIzQlY29kYc5dW7TSxFXtlNljEZubdRQeVAw3NjROYqFyocn3