1 2
Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
1/10/19 7:21 p.m.

So,  i leave tomorrow afternoon to head to Richmond Virginia. I'll stay overnight at my grandmother in laws house, and get up at balls thirty to head to Newport news.

There, i will rent my first u haul tow dolly. 

I will then go across town to nates place to get a broken 1998 neon rt. 

First neon rt for me.

I will pull it behind the parking lot build Silverado to my home in Albemarle nc. First time really towing a tow dolly, or towing with this truck. Also the longest trip since i brought it home and rebuilt it.

After we drop tbe rt, we go to Goldsboro ns to pick up a broken 1997 neon acr, as well as another truck load of parts. 

It should be snowing by ghat point on Saturday. 

But this is gonna be FUN. 

Ill post pictures and rambling diatribe as i go.....

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/10/19 7:58 p.m.

Cool! Neons are suddenly on my radar. I await the tomfoolery you perpetrate on/with this one.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/11/19 3:11 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

After we drop tbe rt, we go to Goldsboro ns to pick up a broken 1997 neon acr, as well as another truck load of parts. 

It should be snowing by ghat point on Saturday. 

Yeah, I'd Nova Scotia already has some snow at this point.  wink 

but, seriously... good luck!  I look forward to following along on the adventure, and learning about tow dollies.

Dusterbd13-michael
1/11/19 5:11 a.m.

Whoops. Goldsboro north Carolina. 

Im hoping to not have much to say about the tow dollies. Supposed to be simple and easy way to pull a dead car.

TJL
TJL Reader
1/11/19 5:27 a.m.

Just make sure its functioning right before accepting. They get beat, misused badly and not checked out all that well between rentals. 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/11/19 5:31 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

I don’t know about the laws over there, but in IL/IN any car being towed on a dolly must be currently registered. I had a friend find that out the hard way. 

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
1/11/19 5:55 a.m.

i'ts been awhile but some Toll roads want all 4 on the ground, I had one up on a boom, thank God it still had 4 tires on it

Dusterbd13-michael
1/11/19 6:32 a.m.

In reply to TJL :

Thanks! Wouldn't have thought of that until too late.

Dusterbd13-michael
1/11/19 6:33 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

The rt is still registered and insured. Acr is not. Hopefully it will not be an issue .

Gtx: no toll roads thankfully. I hate toll roads ......

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/11/19 6:45 a.m.

If I am reading correct you are doing a one-way Uhaul rental of a dolly.  This may be some 11th hour advice but...

It can often be cheaper to do a 2 day "local" rental than it is to do a one-way.  If this is the case, drive the empty up with you and come back full.  Though, empty tow dollys suck.  They are loud and wander a bit.  If you do the one-way version then do it with the full Uhaul trailer.  An empty Uhaul trailer goes down the road smoothly.  

Loading:

Did you say that you will be dollying home a non-runner?  How do you plan to load the car up?  Alone, you will not be able to push the car up the ramps.  I however have had good luck with a a come-a-long.  Also have a set of wheel chocks (or working parking brake) in case you have to adjust the come-a-long attachment point before fully loaded.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/11/19 6:49 a.m.

I have used both with great results

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/11/19 6:55 a.m.

Don't even try to back up the tow dolly (empty or full.)  If it must be backed to get into position for the car then just un-hook the dolly and manually walk it into position.  

Dusterbd13-michael
1/11/19 6:56 a.m.

I decided on the dolly based on my slammed ride height.  I think the full trailer would give too much tongue weight for a stable ride. 

Good call on the come along. Ill have nate helping me the whole time, but im not 25 anymore. On the bright side, both cars are on pavement. So they should roll easier. 

Should i stuff a lot of air pressure in the towed car tires to make less rolling resistance?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/11/19 7:05 a.m.

Given your low bumper/hitch height you might want to consider adding some ball mount rise.  

The Uhaul trailers favor a higher mount. 

2" ball works fine

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/11/19 7:12 a.m.

Take plate off rt when you dump it at home and bolt it on the acr and nobody will bother you.  You won’t be driving on fictitious plates, and if LEO’s automatic SCMODS camera runs it the thing will come back as a neon anyway 

Dusterbd13-michael
1/11/19 7:58 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

I actually have the hitch set for rise from the girl scout trailer.  With a 2 inch ball!

Patrick  exactly what i have in mind. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/11/19 8:20 a.m.

I think you'll be fine.

Happy adventures and keep us updated! 

Dusterbd13-michael
1/11/19 1:07 p.m.

Lets get this party started!

Dusterbd13-michael
1/11/19 1:28 p.m.

Beginning mileage. Interestedto see what kind of mpg i get on this run. And how many miles i go.....

Dusterbd13-michael
1/11/19 3:59 p.m.

150 miles later, im at a waffle house. Time for dinner. 

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/11/19 4:06 p.m.

they seem to be getting a lot of traffic on the site this year.  enjoy!

Dusterbd13-michael
1/11/19 4:13 p.m.

I love waffle house.  Im actually in the one where i decided that my wife was the one.

Dusterbd13-michael
1/11/19 4:33 p.m.

20.5 mpg!!!

Loafing at 70mph/2k rpm.very suprised. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/11/19 4:41 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

I love waffle house.  Im actually in the one where i decided that my wife was the one.

Was she scattered, smothered and covered? 

Dusterbd13-michael
1/11/19 5:29 p.m.
John Welsh said:
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Was she scattered, smothered and covered? 

That was later. And before.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ub7LDDhmKYceYW4PE5Z7nrx3gdN0HqiRKF1a2cnRP2nJT1wpknNu6IePxVeUQTJS