GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/18/16 11:49 a.m.

Every year the club that runs the offroad TSD series here hosts the "cruise," where competitors are invited to bring friends & family along for a some light offroading, sightseeing and BBQ. Most of the vehicles brought out are stock SUVs/crossovers and pickups. This year my Samurai's head gasket was blown so I was driving my dad's X-trail, which added a little challenge to the offroading, but did decently for a 3600lb extra-tall station wagon with wheels better suited to a rap video than offroad duty Here are some pics I snapped with my phone: Into a gully we go: The toughest muddy uphill was after this, a Daihatsu Terios didn't make it. I engaged center diff lock, kept the throttle pinned and worked the steering like a fiend to keep the behemoth on track. Top of the hill exits onto this road from the left: First stop: Still in one piece! Second stop in an estuary area. Apparently in the '90s there was something of a tourist attraction here where tour operators would bring the tourists here on foot and a guy would dress as an Amerindian and "attack" the tourists, and then the prank would be revealed and there was food and souvenirs to be had. But the guy was squatting on the land, and now only a piece of the foundation is left. X-trail's wheels are properly muddy for once The BBQ was held down here at a beach only accessible by driving offroad, just north of the earth station. Was cut a bit short by rain unfortunately. Driving uphill on wet grass on street all-seasons was tough but I only had real trouble on a small dip leading to a steep incline, got up on the 4th try.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/19/16 9:32 a.m.

Looks like fun. How far did you travel off-road?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/19/16 10:19 a.m.

I don't know the total off-road distance traveled, we spent about 2 hours driving with around 3/4 of the driving time being off-road, going from the middle of the island to the south-east.

In distance from the street, even the most remote off-road location here is easily under half an hour from a public road, assuming you don't get lost or stuck

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XOmYwREFx73y5eiN0b2VqUeN9MCG8bsCr6a0O0t0kfdASbFtuuWzBmJtANJTfO91