1 2
GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
5/24/18 2:20 p.m.

The FIERO club here is active and alive . follow along for the ride around the deals gap area(aka Dragon) every year we sponsor a "Run Through The Hills"  We Start  in N. Ga. and head to the mountains. Tenn. N. and S. Carolinas. We Hunt out the BEST roads to drive our cars so they are the best Curvey roads to drive, this year will be the 23rd . I have a few members that have Photos and videos of the just completed Scouting Run and lots of Past Pics. it will take a day or so to get them up as members are able but should be enjoyable and worth the wait. heck it's been ongoing for 23 years the Mag has been here for 20 so another Day should be Easy.  and Remember All are welcome when we run.

GeorgiaFieroClub
GeorgiaFieroClub New Reader
5/25/18 7:57 p.m.

The Georgia Fiero Club would like to invite sports car owners to join us on September 14, 15, and 16 for the 23rd Annual running of Run For The Hills.  We will be basing in Franklin, NC this year.  

I have laid out a course which takes us through 215 miles of North Carolina and Tennessee mountains, over popular roadways like The Cherohala Skyway and The Tail of The Dragon, as well as some obscure but equally exciting back roads. 

We arrange group hotel rates, lunch and dinner restaurants, so we will need to know if you plan to attend.  September is a busy month for hotels, so the earlier you commit, the better chance I have of blocking out enough rooms at 1 hotel or arranging a spill-over hotel.  There is no entry fee, but we do accept voluntary donations for our chosen charity.  This year it's The American Cancer Society.  

A brief outline of the event.  We arrive at our chosen hotel on Friday afternoon to kick tires and tell lies and do our final inspections of our vehicles and to get all fluids topped up and ready to go on Saturday morning.  Registration forms and route sheets are handed out as you arrive.  GPS address are included on the route sheet for those who don't have a navigator. 

We usually depart around 9AM Saturday morning for a very spirited day in the mountains, stopping at a pre-determined restaurant for lunch, then continuing for the remainder of the run.  

On Saturday evening, we enjoy a sit-down dinner with the whole group to reminisce and try to get the smiles off our faces before retiring to rest up for the drive back home on Sunday morning.  

We have had all makes of vehicles join us.  Mini's, Corvettes, Lotus, Lexus sedans, Mitsubishi Eclipse, Kia Sportage, Ferrari's, Toyota Solaras, and Cadillac DeVille sedans, to name a few.  We've done runs with the Solstice and Skye club, also.

Below is a small sampling of the event.  Videos used with permission of Georgia Fieros member CowsPatoot.

Video filmed from my 87 Pontiac Fiero. 

https://youtu.be/X6nYrLigDxg

To contact Georgia Fieros, email us at:

GeorgiaFieroClub@Gmail.Com

GeorgiaFieroClub
6/10/18 10:04 p.m.

Some of us will be doing a trial and documentation run on June 30.  Anyone is welcome to join us to see what Run For The Hills is about.  Come out and enjoy the day with us. 

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
6/13/18 1:17 p.m.

Uh-oh, now you have me checking Craigslist for Fieros. Maybe I can convince my wife it's a way to save gas if I have one to commute with...

FieroSarge
FieroSarge New Reader
6/16/18 9:19 a.m.

I have been on the (pre) - pre scouting run and it was a blast, unfortunately  I can't make the June 30th pre run.  But I promise I'll be there in September looking to meet old friends and make new ones as we enjoy the fantastic roads and tell stories over dinner. Plus I can feel great about supporting the American Cancer Society. 

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
6/17/18 7:54 a.m.
MadScientistMatt said:

Uh-oh, now you have me checking Craigslist for Fieros. Maybe I can convince my wife it's a way to save gas if I have one tocommute with...

look at gafiero .org . you can get one for 500.00 by in, Taking into account you won't leave it alone

GeorgiaFieroClub
6/17/18 8:02 p.m.

Georgia Fieros does have an 88 Formula V6 with upgraded bored and stroked engine and 5-speed Getrag transmission for sale.  Contact us through our email at georgiafieroclub@gmail.com   We also have a Formula with a 3800 NA Buick engine, but it's not ready for release, yet.

Official Event Tshirt Design.

It's coming up soon.  We will be starting and returning to Franklin, North Carolina.  Gathering at our hotel on Friday, September 14 to check over our cars and get everything topped off for the run on Saturday Morning, September 15.  Hotel accommodations aren't finalized, yet but the information will be posted here as soon as they are.  Working with MicroTel Inn for group rates.

We will be traveling the High Roads (more than 5000 ft. elevation) and the back roads of North Carolina and Tennessee.  Some of the best driving roads in this part of the country. 

We have scheduled a lunch stop along the way, as well as fuel and restroom stops.  At the end of the day, back in Franklin, we have scheduled a nice sit-down dinner for the group.  Each person will be responsible for their own meal. 

There is no entry fee and all sports cars are welcome or if your minivan handles like a sports car, bring the family along.  We will be accepting voluntary donations of raffle items and also donations to our 2018 charity, The American Cancer Society. 

Event Tshirts are available in the Club merchandise section at the left side of our website at www.gafiero.org   The shirts are preshrunk 100% cotton and are available in sizes from Adult Small thru Adult 3 XLarge.  The printing is done with a dye, so you can't feel the print and it doesn't have that big sweaty spot like some of the rubber inks have. 

Visit here often to keep up with updated details.  You are also welcome to join us on the scouting/documentation run on the 30th.  It's just a 1 day thing.  Meet Saturday morning, make the trip and be home in the evening.  Only lunch is involved that day. 

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
6/18/18 5:13 p.m.

Wow, for this 'Hood' 5000 ft. is up their,  Ball Ground is 1,101 feet, and this is gettin' hilly, so 3/4 mile higher makes for some super Views and actual climate changes, Sun on one side and rainy/fog on the other, COOL ya'll come on UP!!! 

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
6/18/18 5:19 p.m.

oh yea you should see the War Woman/Rattler T's from last year Awesome.

GeorgiaFieroClub
6/19/18 12:58 p.m.

RUN FOR THE HILLS HOTEL INFORMATION

Our Hotel for Run For The Hill #23 is the MicroTel Inn, 81 Allman Road, Franklin, NC.

Rates for single or double queen rooms is $90.20 per night or $180.40 for the two nights we will be there. September 14 and 15.  This includes all applicable taxes.

There is no cutoff date for reservations.  Because we do not know how many will attend, we did not block out rooms.  A credit card is needed for that, and any unbooked rooms must be paid for by Georgia Fieros. If you wait until the last minute to try to make reservations, there may not be rooms available.  Other hotels in the area are Hampton Inn and Comfort Inn, but their rates are a bit higher, especially during that time of the year.

To get the group rates, call 1-828-349-9000
Tell them you are with the Georgia Fiero Club group.  

GeorgiaFieroClub
6/23/18 7:53 a.m.

We will be doing a trial pre-run on Saturday, June 30.  Anyone is welcome to join us for a little preview of the main event.  This is just a one-day thing so no hotel reservations are needed.  Fuel and lunch should be your only expenses.

If you would like to join us, email our event coordinator at GeorgiaFieroClub@Gmail.Com  and we'll give you time and location to meet.  We also need to know how many so we can provide route sheets.  Route sheets can be emailed to you to allow you to enter GTP waypoints prior to arriving if you desire.  

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
6/26/18 6:18 p.m.

Hey,  The Club is doing a pre-run for Run through The Hills 23.

This weekend on the 30th ALL are Asked to Attend .. A  1 day run,  prelude to the 23rd RTTH

GeorgiaFieroClub
6/27/18 9:44 p.m.

GTXVette, want to ride along?  Navigator?  Copilot?  Flight Engineer? 

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
6/28/18 6:01 a.m.

I may Drive one of yours, but I do not Ride well.  something about not being in Control...

GeorgiaFieroClub
7/1/18 7:58 a.m.

This year, we guarantee that everyone who joins us will get high.  High on the excitement of driving with a group of car enthusiasts who enjoy the open road, away from the hustle and bustle of the metropolitan and suburban settings of home and high on the spectacular views from the elevations.

And we still have 1000 feet to go. 

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
7/1/18 11:40 a.m.

Well, Lets see 'em.

GeorgiaFieroClub
7/1/18 1:52 p.m.

The 5400 ft elevaton is marked by a sign on the side of the roadway.  No place to stop.  There are actually some places that reach 5600 feet, but they aren't along the roadway.  

We start the climb at exactly 2000 feet and it takes about 25 miles to get there.  Nothing but spectacular views and the winding road.  Well, sometimes a bear or two. 

GeorgiaFieroClub
7/13/18 4:43 p.m.

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
7/25/18 6:24 a.m.
GeorgiaFieroClub said:

Georgia Fieros does have an 88 Formula V6 with upgraded bored and stroked engine and 5-speed Getrag transmission for sale.  Contact us through our email at georgiafieroclub@gmail.com   We also have a Formula with a 3800 NA Buick engine, but it's not ready for release, yet.

Official Event Tshirt Design.

It's coming up soon.  We will be starting and returning to Franklin, North Carolina.  Gathering at our hotel on Friday, September 14 to check over our cars and get everything topped off for the run on Saturday Morning, September 15.  Hotel accommodations aren't finalized, yet but the information will be posted here as soon as they are.  Working with MicroTel Inn for group rates.

We will be traveling the High Roads (more than 5000 ft. elevation) and the back roads of North Carolina and Tennessee.  Some of the best driving roads in this part of the country. 

We have scheduled a lunch stop along the way, as well as fuel and restroom stops.  At the end of the day, back in Franklin, we have scheduled a nice sit-down dinner for the group.  Each person will be responsible for their own meal. 

There is no entry fee and all sports cars are welcome or if your minivan handles like a sports car, bring the family along.  We will be accepting voluntary donations of raffle items and also donations to our 2018 charity, The American Cancer Society. 

Event Tshirts are available in the Club merchandise section at the left side of our website at www.gafiero.org   The shirts are preshrunk 100% cotton and are available in sizes from Adult Small thru Adult 3 XLarge.  The printing is done with a dye, so you can't feel the print and it doesn't have that big sweaty spot like some of the rubber inks have. 

Visit here often to keep up with updated details.  You are also welcome to join us on the scouting/documentation run on the 30th.  It's just a 1 day thing.  Meet Saturday morning, make the trip and be home in the evening.  Only lunch is involved that day. 

FREE TO ALL, Ya'll  'cmon  Down

Still have rooms avail. but that time of year could get busy,  an over flow hotel is lined up.

GeorgiaFieroClub
8/5/18 7:41 a.m.

There's slightly more than a month to go.  Get your hotel reservations made while rooms are still available.  

GeorgiaFieroClub
8/16/18 12:17 p.m.

Just one month left.  Rooms are running short.  Make your reservations soon.  You really don't want to miss this event.

GeorgiaFieroClub
8/19/18 9:18 p.m.

Run For The Hills #23
You’ve heard the name, seen the pictures, and now have the chance to join the fun. This isn’t some gathering of moonshiners; it’s a well-planned route through roads calculated to garnish the most enjoyment from your sports car/  The RFTH route changes annually to give participants new challenges each year.

This isn’t some random venue in a convenient location; this is a purpose-chosen course that winds itself through turns designed to put your car through its paces. While not a race, we split into groups from sight-seers to maniacs, and each driver drives with the group with which they feel most comfortable.

While this may not be in your back yard, the location has changed over the years to cover much of the southeastern states. The cherry-picked route’s turns are some of the most challenging and scenic roads available, so come on down and give them a try.

While the event is the Run itself, the nooning and evening meals are nothing at which to scoff. This is the one you’ve been missing; this is the one they ask about, when the question is, “Were you there?” This isn’t about a show, or a parade, or about a meal. This is about the thrill of the drive, and the sports car people who were up for it. This is the ultimate challenge!

Will this be the year that you’ll be able to respond “Yes!  I was there!”? Perhaps you’ll even be the one asking the question.

GeorgiaFieroClub
8/30/18 3:28 p.m.

Just three weeks left.  Don't say you'll do it next year.  Once this one is gone, it's gone.  They're never the same from year to year and never in the same location.  Get your hotel reservations made and kennel reservations made for your kids.  Run For The Hills has been described as the most fun you can have in a small 2-seat sports car while keeping your whole body inside.  

GeorgiaFieroClub
9/17/18 10:57 a.m.

We had a small group for this year's run (some may have been scared by the weather and some had to work due to weather), but the weather where we were turned out to be just fine, and we had a good time.  There were 3 others that didn't connect with us but were present. 

On our first rest stop...

We parked beside a rushing river.

Our next rest stop was on the Cherohala Skyway.

A view of the mountains.

This years run of the Dragon was the "cleanest" I've been on, with no slow cars blocking us anywhere. After the Dragon, we stopped at Fontana Dam

Our cars on the Dragon (photos by US129Photos, and provided by Greg, aka CowsPatoot).

Our first scenic rest stop along Whiteoak Creek beside Wayah Road.

CowsPatoot at the Cow Pattie stand

Another rest stop at a scenic overlook on the Cherohala Skyway.  Elevation +4000 feet.

While we were on the Skyway, we passed an overlook where several people were waving frantically and one was filming us as we went by.  When we made our next quick stop, they pulled in with us but never made contact.  They later showed up at our lunch stop and were so excited to see so many Fieros together.  They came in just to chat and share their excitement but had to leave to attend a wedding.

This father and son team Formula Owner is talking with were very intrigued with the cars.  They had traveled some distance so the son could compile photos for a photography project.  Formula Owner is explaining that the air intake for the engine isn't in the nose, but in the side vent due to the mid engine placement.  

Giving them a rest and letting them cool down at Fontana Dam, NC

Notice the beautiful sky in the background.  Evidence of the quality of the weekend.

Photos provided by CowsPatoot, TopNotch and Fierofool.

GeorgiaFieroClub
10/9/18 8:32 a.m.

For all of you that missed the original event, Georgia Fieros is planning a Rerun of RFTH 23, possibly on the 27th of October.  Reruns are generally more leisurely as we don't have reservations and timelines set for lunches and evening meals.  It's just a one day event.

We gather at a pre-determined time and meeting place and during the run we have more opportunity to stop at scenic overlooks or to go back and try a section of roadway a second or third time.  

You're all invited to join us in the vehicle of your choice.  We promise to wait for you if you are too slow and to get out of your way if we are too slow.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lyBQDcJL7USBXqoTogBLowfnucxqFcmbTxGJUsd6k5mpOBRiw7bsAJL8oCb2ST9g