Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/30/21 2:42 p.m.

Nine months ago I moved from North Vancouver to Qualicum Beach both in BC. An aside as I type this I can hear my next door neighbours- the Bald Eagles. Due to Covid there was a need to stay local there are many small First Nations communities and it can be said that various diseases have been extremely harmful to the people through history. Now things are opening up and recreational travel is allowed in health areas. My area is Vancouver Island we have a moat to keep those mainlanders at bay.

A new steed or steeds would be required. In Feb I made a deal on this

2021 Ford Ranger Super Crew (4x4) only in Canada and took delivery Apr 22. Just reached breakin in Kim's this week so adventuring can begin.

Rons
5/30/21 3:17 p.m.

Toyman's premise is a trip that can be accomplished in a day or part there of and Vancouver Island is ripe for that sort of tour. Incidentally I believe a good serial story require a good preface and set up.

It was a dark and stormy night - actually it wasn't yesterday was very warm and sunny. After I'd walked the dogs and gone to the farmers market me and the dogs decided ROAD TRIP! So we loaded up the truck and moved to Beverly (signs of a mind wasted on 60s sitcoms) actually we headed out for Port Albeni and the wilds of the open North Pacific.On this trip a better choice would have been something smaller and sportier (TR 7s and TR 8s have my attention right now but The Answer may well be the answer). It's becoming abundantly clear the trip is the point not the destination. And the Eagles are acting up again.

So we left QB (I'm really becoming local) and headed out on the 40km ~25 miles to Port Alberni I'll say I'm surprised I didn't wear out the steering from the twists and turns - we ain't long gone to Saskatchewan here. I wish I had pictures but I haven't  trained the dogs to take pictures and my hands were full with driving I may need to Go Pro.

So we reached Port Alberni and the dogs wanted to stretch their legs we found a city park and went for a nice walk. If you look at a map you can see Port Alberni is on the salt chuck but it comes from the west not the east that leads to a bit of history. In 1964 there was an enormous earth quake in Alaska. The earth quake caused a tsunami which made its way to the harbour in Port Alberni where it killed a few people and did a lot of property damage. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
6/9/21 7:39 p.m.

You moved from Saskatchewan to Vancouver Island ?  There are some "minor" differences in topography between the two. My sister lived in Regina, Winnipeg , Edmonton, then Vancouver Island and lastly, Pender Island.wink

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/9/21 8:16 p.m.

I missed this one the first time through. Sounds like a lot of fun. I'm looking forward to updates. 

Taking pictures can be a pain. I frequently have to make myself take pictures. I went out one day, covered a couple of hundred miles, and took one picture. Go figure. He is a cool-looking cow though. Just chilling in his field. 

20210221_141904.jpg

Rons
6/10/21 9:16 p.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

I've never lived in Sask but do have extended family there, dad was born in Regina. More extended family in southern Ontario grandfather born in Desert Lake Ontario.

Rons
6/10/21 9:27 p.m.

Sa In 

Next stop Japan the North Pacific at Wickinnish  (sp) Beach no matter ne was surfing the waves weren't that high. Lots of sand and water not very many people.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kIu7iQ5sTOablWA59OUtEnYwlLszr2VX246qsTGwzfh1l2zZk9KkrfOTZEu3WnBF