1 2 3
03Panther
03Panther Dork
10/27/20 8:11 p.m.
barefootskater (Shaun) said:

My only regret, and that isn't the right word. Maybe disappointment. Anyway. Is that the mustang didn't complete the journey. Everyone I know was questioning my choice. "You're driving that thing? To Florida? You're nuts." But it never skipped a beat. It burned a bit of oil, and if I'm honest, it developed a couple new squeaks and noises. But I wanted to say I drove that thing 5000 miles in two weeks. Around the country. I drove it to Florida, beat on it at a racetrack, then turned around and drive it home. And it would have. And I'd have brought it back for 2021 or 2022. Without hesitation. But I suppose it is time to figure out the next adventure. Sooner than I wanted, but that's ok. Trying to accept what life throws my way. Getting better at it.

You NAILED it. No worries ... it was not the car that didn't pull the trip off!

Stay safe out there. Keep an eye out. But while you do that, get out and see new places. Travel across the country to place dead last in a race. Go visit that family you never see. Visit old friends. Buy funny hot    sauces in Louisiana. Spend too much on bad food. Meet people. If I can do it, on my wages, and in 2020, so can you. I promise you'll learn new things about yourself. And I promise you'll have a new appreciation for wherever you call home. 

Well said,my friend. Well said.

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
10/27/20 9:40 p.m.

Sorry to hear this didn't end better, it was certainly a heroic effort.   Glad to hear you're home and doing OK.  There are plenty of situations where even the best rally drivers still crash.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
10/28/20 4:06 a.m.
barefootskater (Shaun) said:

My only regret, and that isn't the right word. Maybe disappointment. Anyway. Is that the mustang didn't complete the journey. Everyone I know was questioning my choice. "You're driving that thing? To Florida? You're nuts."

[...]

get out and see new places. Travel across the country to place dead last in a race.

Having taken a Honda Fit to OneLap, and attempted to take a $4000 Sonata their too.... I can fully sympathize with these sentiments; and didn't think that a simple "thumbs up" was enough.

Good luck pulling things back together, and figuring out what the next step forward is.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/28/20 6:10 a.m.

Just thinking about your adventure - I'm glad you didn't end up driving the TBird this year. Idk how it would have handled the accident vs. the Mustang, but it sure would have been a whole lot less comfortable in that weather. 

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) UberDork
12/11/20 6:12 p.m.

Finally got some photos of the end of our journey. 

so that's a thing

jfryjfry (FS)
jfryjfry (FS) Dork
12/12/20 7:46 a.m.

Craigslist ad:

shows only the second picture

"Ran great, got in a fender bender and just lost interest.  In good shape these go for $10k+  My loss your gain - I know what I got"

glad you were ok!  That could have easily been a much different ending. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/12/20 1:14 p.m.

Holy crap

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
3/18/21 12:41 p.m.
charliekelpupm said:

I love road trips and experiencing the open road (with company or on my own). What's your favorite area or [river] to travel? 

styx.  thou shalt not canoe the awesome threads

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
2/17/22 7:56 p.m.

16 months later, and we're nearing the end of the 10 day trip. 

I have been assured that I won't set off any alarms at airports. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
91YHs0EvIRTCllJhdgN12KiLTqE58HGRyosEm8u4t23Wu4pS6XJtqPTzU3blrBUW