slantsix
slantsix Reader
11/4/21 1:51 p.m.

I am taking the Grüne Hölle Dart on an adhoc impromptu tour of the Ohio valley this weekend.  Weather is supposed to be beautiful.

From about I70 south to Marietta with many twisty side trips. 

Will have the camera for some proper Motorsports paparazzi.

Greg

slantsix
slantsix Reader
11/7/21 8:38 a.m.

Here is a recap of the day of fun routes we found on the way to Marietta, Ohio.

About ~440 Miles of Driving on Lovely Twisty Ohio Valley Side Routes, Lots of scenery to take in, Leaves changing, and Covered Bridges, Mail Pouch barns etc.  The Routes were a blast - possibly comparable to the back of the dragon with less traffic, except for maybe the trucks going to and from the many fracking well pads in the area. We took interstates and well worn 4 Lane US States routes there and back from my place.

When we would happen to encounter a well rig truck, we would pull off, take a break, and just enjoy the scenery and the beautiful day,

Some pictures:

It's November so short days.. Got started on a clear morning... Got to look at the stars before the blue hour.

6 of us gathered for the impromptu tour:
Most were fans of the MG, the Triumph, or the Jaguar - thankfully the organiser remembered that the 'ol '64 dart eats up these roads just as well as the smaller sized British produced bretheren.

We gathered at the Bob Evans in Martins Ferry OH before heading out.

Witnessed the 5.0 encountering some quasi-nefarious activity..

After Breakfast we were off.

Pulled off after being behind a Tanker Truck and Found some beautiful rim roads and meadows.

A local man was out on his super nice early 80's Yamaha street / trail bike, stopped to ask if we were okay, indeed we were.

Stopped for a snack break at the bottom of the valley back on Ohio Route 7 at Hannibal Locks / Dam

For the last section of the route the Jag and MG's Stayed on the Valley floor while The triumphs and the Dart headed back up the mountainside for more twists and ~ 40 Miles on Ohio Route 26.

Along some steam valleys and getting close with geology:

Found Lots of Mail Pouch Barns and Covered Bridges along Ohio 26 - This one was not the most picturesque , but We stopped about 18 Miles from the end of the route to take some pictures, check fuel etc.  There was no Cell service and there was a Quaint Campground in the Wayne national forest behind this bridge.

We made it to Marietta for an early dinner:

Explored a nice and well stocked antique store:

Planned a route back through West Virginia Up to the Ridge in the Laurel Mountains above Uniontown.. Saw some Windmills up close:

Got a glimpse of  a few counties looking west in Western PA from the ridge Just after sunset:

Greg

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
11/7/21 8:44 a.m.

Looks like a really fun day.

What did the TR7 have under the bonnet? Stock or upgraded?

slantsix
slantsix Reader
11/7/21 12:09 p.m.
Indy "Nub" Guy said:

Looks like a really fun day.

What did the TR7 have under the bonnet? Stock or upgraded?

I dont know those cars well enough to differentiate between the 2.

Owner said it was a tr8 with a 3.5L aluminum Rover v8.

It did have carb and headers. No fuel injection.

Greg

slantsix
slantsix Reader
11/8/21 6:19 a.m.

Here was the actual Route:

See all the crooked lines to the west? - = smileysmileysmiley

Greg

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
11/8/21 6:53 a.m.

Looks like good scenic fun! Sorry my schedule couldn't accommodate it. 

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
12/8/21 8:07 a.m.

That Dart is cool as hell!

slantsix
slantsix Reader
12/8/21 10:30 a.m.

In reply to Tim Suddard :

Thank you sir..

The Build thread.... In case you missed it ;-)

Greg

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
btAhs4AJj249HUfJxFf9oSmkQTCx9IK6j8w5p4Q88U0Gpq1OKip6i0LYJh85sviv