mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise New Reader
10/16/18 5:37 p.m.

Will be visiting Vancouver (BC) and Victoria for a week. Staying in downtown Vancouver at the grand Westin. 

Will have rental car. 

Any locals with with must do things knowledge and advice ? Must eat places ? Asian food preferred 

best coffee? 

Ferry to victoria island seems to be about $140 round trip, friends are saying we should take our car on the ferry? Any thoughts? 

Thank you 

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
10/16/18 6:48 p.m.

Welcome to my town.

Great Asian food is everywhere. If you want really funky sushi, go to The Eatery.

Check out Stanley Park, Gastown is cool until the shine wears off and you realise what a huge homeless problem we have.

The Tomahawk BBQ in North Vancouver is the most Canadian restaurant ever.

I hate going to the Island because of BC Ferries, that cost can put a lot of fuel in your tank to see other things. If you decide to go, Craigdarroch Castle is a fantastic old Craftsman period mansion. Victoria is more British than England is. You will need to take the car on the ferry because you have to drive from the ferry terminal to Victoria.

If you like Art Deco, The Marine Building was used as the Daily Planet office on Smallville and is a beautiful building. 

The Museum of Anthropology at UBC is great, even the building is a fantastic piece by Arthur Ericsson. Simon Fraser University was used as Starfleet Academy on several occasions.

The Peak-To-Peak Gondola in Whistler is supposed to be amazing.

That's about all I've got at the moment, feel free to send me a PM.

Shawn

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise New Reader
10/16/18 8:50 p.m.

In reply to Trans_Maro :

Hi Shawn 

thank you you for the detailed notes and eatery. We will definitely be checking it out, as I printed your list 

I willmake the ferry reservation with the car then. It is two couples - no kids trip. 

I spent two years in Seattle but never ventured to BC for some reason. 

Thai/Malaysian/Singaporean/good authentic Chinese will be awesome 

we will check out the bar b q

i will see if I can figure out how to send you a message, as I may have a few more questions this weekend 

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/19/18 9:29 p.m.

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

Sorry I didn't see your post earlier I live in North Vancouver not a big restaurant user myself but theTomahawk is a popular place. I think the Tomahawk is just doing breakfast and lunch, as staffing is becoming a problem in food services.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise New Reader
10/21/18 10:19 p.m.
Rons said:

Sorry I didn't see your post earlier I live in North Vancouver not a big restaurant user myself but theTomahawk is a popular place. I think the Tomahawk is just doing breakfast and lunch, as staffing is becoming a problem in food services.

Thank you kindly. Ferry is booked, we get on a flight tomorrow morning, will check out the Tomahawk for breakfas!

Rons
10/21/18 11:52 p.m.

I will also add I had forgotten how stupendously expensive the ferries have become (I went to Bowen with my sister today on business/recon $50 for a car and two people)

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise New Reader
10/22/18 9:40 a.m.
Rons said:

I will also add I had forgotten how stupendously expensive the ferries have become (I went to Bowen with my sister today on business/recon $50 for a car and two people)

Yeah for us 4 people and car seemed pretty pricey. Then I looked at my upcoming hotel bill for Kyoto and Tokyo for thanksgiving and realized BC ferry is cheaper than a $1300 bullet train one ticket for the family :( :( 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise New Reader
10/29/18 9:43 p.m.

Granville island done. Loved the duck pate and lamb moussaka there 

Victoria island there - we did the fish and chips on harbor. Fish was fresh. Parliament building and Butchart garden. Car ferry was pricey. 

LOVED the Truffle factory in west Vancouver. Delicious brunch. 

Guu with Garlic is fantastic dinner in Vancouver. Man it was delicious 

also had banana leaf (Malaysian) it was ok 

we are staying on robson at the grand Westin 

bunch of mitsu delica, Toyota century and rhd Toyota liteace 

tomorrow will be Capilano bridge and sea to gondola up on Squamish 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise New Reader
10/29/18 9:44 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS :

My family lives in Dallas (Keller/Plano/Irving) 

next time have to look you up! 

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
10/29/18 10:05 p.m.

I'm waving at you from the Okanagan Valley.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise New Reader
10/29/18 11:46 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS :

Car craziness is worth it! I was at 7 cars , 3 bikes. Just bought another car 

can’t stop the addiction 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise New Reader
10/29/18 11:46 p.m.

In reply to SkinnyG :

Wave back! Jealous. I wanted to check out Hope and the highway to hell. Not enough time

Rons
11/5/18 8:47 a.m.

If you ever make it back to check out the Highway Thru Hell make a round trip using Highway 3 so you can check out https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hope_Slide 

Well that didn't work. A big piece of a mountain slid down and filled a valley. The slide happened when I was 6 years old and had a big impression on me.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Reader
11/5/18 11:54 a.m.
Rons said:

If you ever make it back to check out the Highway Thru Hell make a round trip using Highway 3 so you can check out https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hope_Slide 

Well that didn't work. A big piece of a mountain slid down and filled a valley. The slide happened when I was 6 years old and had a big impression on me.

Will be up in Alaska next summer - driving up. Definitely wil stop there

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Reader
12/14/18 9:20 a.m.

We did Tim hortons downtown a few times 

coffee is good 

food was terrible 

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
12/14/18 1:01 p.m.

Tim Hortons has sucked since America bought it.

Sorry, cold hard truth right there.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/14/18 3:47 p.m.

If you are bored, start counting supercars with N (new driver) tags on the back. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Reader
12/15/18 12:36 a.m.

Living in LA 9 months of the year, and 3 months of the year in Hong Kong, I am tired of supercars.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7XwFDO2t34PxpGSYInoIGe7oDtL3o5eOwuUxuX150t46dIzGAKKuDy65gW2fr601