Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/8/23 5:07 p.m.

Still too cold to do much with the drop deck trailer.  Went over to the storage unit to pull the battery that runs the winch for the drop deck and also activates the brakes in the event of a breakaway. 

This is what it looks like under the (metal) lid inside the toolbox at the front of the trailer--

While this is perfectly functional, I'd be more comfortable if there were boots covered the connections on the positive side of the battery.  Easy button might be to use that liquid electrical tape stuff, though I'm not sure what that's like if you ever have to remove it.

I'm also thinking I might attach a sheet of G10 FRG to the bottom of the compartment lid to provide some insulation between the lid and the battery posts. 

MyMiatas
MyMiatas Reader
1/8/23 5:26 p.m.

Follow your order and make it so, number one.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/9/23 2:26 p.m.

You've got the big one capped.  For the small positive I'd probably cut off one of those vacuum port caps you can pick up by the pack in various sizes and colors at any parts store and put it over the stud.  2 or 3 threads will hold it there indefinitely.  I wouldn't worry about the exposed part under that cap I described.  The reason is because if your strap is any good, it's going to take a major accident for that battery to conduct via the metal around it - at which point it might not even be the most of your worries. I'd be most concerned with the lid crushing in from the top and the vacuum cap prevents any arc there.  I put these over exposed bolts all the time for various reasons.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/dorman-autograde-vinyl-color-vacuum-cap-assortment-47397/89015274-p?product_channel=local&store=2590&adtype=pla&product_channel=local&store_code=2590&gbraid=0AAAAAD05GhV0J23eKU5ST0IBpECprj8bT&gbraid=0AAAAAD05GhV0J23eKU5ST0IBpECprj8bT&gclid=CjwKCAiAk--dBhABEiwAchIwkakiVjBo4PjtlRFmT1KTJMyZN0unFtOutA2uVFtKaKZd5aEvzEUP1RoCEJkQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/9/23 2:47 p.m.

I would cover it. I had almost the same set up on my picnic table and I finally put enough weight on it that it lowered the cover onto a battery that looked like that (minus the cap on the positive pole) and it shorted and made a mess. It has a non conductive cover now.

Asphalt_Gundam
Asphalt_Gundam Reader
1/17/23 1:56 p.m.

looks to me like the cap for the positive side you have is supposed to be orientated so that the side hanging out past the battery there goes on the stud to cover it....

could probably just notch it for the wires to clear

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
n9G0swGmmBw7RZd2FrJIEpNbxBHKFLLPgyIJOYCOhruxB7fmNnVWlvQxWXtoq4K1