RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UberDork
6/22/17 9:40 p.m.

A few years ago, on an episode of To Gear, Jeremy did an adventure where he raced the Sun. He watched the Sun set at the westernmost point of England, drove across the country, through the night, to see it rise at the easternmost point of England, on the shortest night of the year - June 20-21.

That gave me an idea: ride across Wisconsin, to do the same thing.

A buddy and I attempted it, that year. Dense fog conspired against us, losing valuable time. By the time we got to Green Bay, we knew we weren't going to make it, so we abandoned our trek and headed home (the carat in Milwaukee).

The past two years, other commitments prevented me and friends from trying the ride again. This year, though, I said berk it, I'm doing it, without friends, if I have to.

I don't think a Harley has ever been further west, in the state. Yes, I went off road, with a 900 pound bike. Crazy damn fool.

Down the steep embankment is the St Croix river. It's more like a stream, at this point, though.

Ah, sunset, through the trees.

RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UberDork
6/22/17 9:41 p.m.

Hiked about a half mile through tick-infested woods, back to my bike, and headed east. Saw a few deer, one brown moment, as it was standing right on the shoulder. Several foggy spots, but not as bad as the last time. Untypical to my usual gear, I was not prepared for how chilly it got.

This time, I beat the Sun. Even got to see the moon.

I set my alarm and took a little nap.

Here comes the Sun!

This is the road at the end of the peninsula.

I stopped for some breakfast at a quaint Swedish reataurant down the road, before heading home. I was close to having enough miles to qualify for Iron Butt, with time to spare, but I was tired.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
6/22/17 10:30 p.m.

I love that road down to the tip of Door County. Hwy 29 is eye wateringly boring, however.

RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UberDork
6/23/17 8:08 a.m.

In reply to RossD:

Yeah, 29 is especially boring in the middle of the night, with almost no traffic.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
6/23/17 8:33 a.m.

Nothing but every mile marker and deer eyes to keep you awake.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
6/23/17 11:11 a.m.

Somehow I don't think that's possible to do in Texas.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/23/17 11:37 a.m.

You'd have to do it at the winter equinox in Texas to even get close :)

This looks like a fun little adventure. I could see trying it in Louisiana. Lake Charles to Cafe Du Moude for morning coffee by the mighty Mississippi

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5rkJ3MlRf5FHoifggjXn5MEPtBj23bTZgyBthH1nuNF0eCmIuHYj4oe7vbuV32BX