singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
9/16/17 10:37 a.m.

Some of you probably saw this post about me getting a 1995 Jaguar xjr6 from Chicago. Well, the day has come. I leave on the train to Chicago tonight and will be investigating the car at 10am tomorrow.

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
9/16/17 11:10 a.m.

Nice! 

I wish I had the guts to do a fly...er, ride and drive!

smiley

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
9/16/17 5:01 p.m.

I have arrived at the station!

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
9/16/17 5:34 p.m.

There are 5 people on my car... My ticket was only $28… government subsidies...

Edit: the train filled up as we got closer to Chicago.​​​​

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
9/16/17 6:23 p.m.

Look, the mythical 'Video Store.' Some say these used to convert the land. They are endangered now...

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
9/16/17 7:06 p.m.

A guy left his brief case behind when he got up. Hopefully not anything but if so, 30s white guy with a sizable redish beard, bigger build, lots of sports memorabilia (broncos I think) and some weird medallion necklace that reminds me of the stenagar amulet from Skyrim.

Edit: the guy came back, must have been getting drunk in the drinks car. Anyway, the girl that too his seat after he left pocketed his vape pen. She played innocent and he went to get staff. I heard a thud and a minute later they magically found it on the ground. 

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Dork
9/16/17 8:46 p.m.

Enjoy the ride. I took the Texas Eagle from Little Rock to Chicago last April. Very easy ride, and cheap too. Let us know how it went. 

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
9/16/17 8:55 p.m.

The ride is a bit bouncy but a great way to travel. I have tons of space, ok sized bathrooms, and can bring my own food, drinks, and knifes on board! I will definitely use this in the future.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
9/17/17 9:49 p.m.

Made it home fine. Pictures and details tomorrow

frenchyd
frenchyd HalfDork
9/18/17 8:20 a.m.

In reply to singleslammer :

Now you understand why trains are so popular in Europe. However in Europe they have a lot more high speed trains that make it possible to  compete with airlines.  For example London to Paris can be faster via train than airlines in some circumstances. 

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
9/18/17 9:07 a.m.

Looking her over in Chicago. Had been sitting for probably a week or more. Stumbled a little on startup but once it got done squeeling, it ran like the fine automobile that someone paid $66k in 1995 ($106k value today!). 

I thought this might be the power steering leaking out but it is just the A/C which works great!

Nate (left, childhood friend) and Mara (right, Quark) on the test drive. Fuel in Chicago was $4 for premium!

Here she is at the first gas station back in Missouri. Managed 22.2 MPG driving 80 through IL. Not bad for a FI 4.0L straight 6 making 380 torques)

Here are the dash lights that were annoying me on the drive. Trac fail is likely a solder joint that needs to be redone. The check light is two exhaust codes. Might be a cracked manifold, bad cat, or just a regular exhaust leak. Nothing that would stop me passing inspection in MO. 

Parked at home this morning as I was running out the door! I will use this picture if I sell it on CL.

That's it. I got in, added fuel, drove home... I like a boring drive in this type of situation. The broken wiper (note only 1 wiper) was a bit of an issue. I had to clean the windshield twice on the way.

frenchyd
frenchyd HalfDork
9/18/17 10:04 a.m.

In reply to singleslammer :the Trac light may also be the wrong oil in the differential.   

For used parts for that JG contact Strandberg auto inCenturia Wisconsin  ( Jag wrecking yard) 

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
9/18/17 10:26 a.m.

Awesome! Thanks Frenchyd!

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
9/18/17 11:03 a.m.

I need a wiper motor if anyone has a junk 90's jaguar laying around.

quark
quark New Reader
9/18/17 1:28 p.m.

Glad to hear it was uneventful! Yeah, I remember being fooled/worried by the AC drip when driving this thing around during the summer.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
12/7/17 2:01 p.m.

Nice. An XJ6R is one of my favorite Jags. If you ever decide to sell let me know. wink

Tberg
Tberg New Reader
3/27/19 7:11 p.m.

Trac off in my X100 XKR always meant the sensors at each wheel were dirty or the wire going to the sensor on the front right wheel was pinched or pulled away from the sensor, both of which were very common issues on the X100 series.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6f0zbpYidrQuaQ8ch8MgFmy4xEyJztTcJQrY5DuHoL8WyHxpqtr0NqyrKsBqSMjt