Average vehicle age now over 12 years old, GRM readers likely to blame

Colin
By Colin Wood
Jun 16, 2021 | vehicle age

Photograph Courtesy Mazda

According to a study released by IHS Markit, a global financial services company, the average age of cars driving on American roads is now 12.1 years. In comparison, 12 years ago, in 2009, the average age of cars on the road was a little over 10 years.

Graph Courtesy IHS Markit

Sure, a number of factors from 2020—a global pandemic and worldwide chip shortage, just to name two—have pushed many people to hold on to their cars longer. Still, we’d like to think that our many readers who find pleasure in keeping older cars alive have helped to skew that data at least a little bit.

What’s the longest you’ve ever held on to a car? Or what’s the oldest running car in your fleet?

Join Free Join our community to easily find more vehicle age news.
Comments
rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
6/15/21 12:28 p.m.

Currently we're a fleet of 3.  A 2009, a 2001, and a 1998 model.  The 01 and 09 are both DDs, although mine (the 01) gets fairly low mileage put on it at this point.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/15/21 12:31 p.m.

I haven't calculated for a while, but I think the average age of our fleet is about a quarter century.

Looking at these stats is actually pretty interesting. The average age stayed low for quite a while. It's been a while since I dug into them.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/15/21 12:34 p.m.

This is my favorite stat for the "Cars don't last like they used to" crowd.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/15/21 12:40 p.m.

I'm selling my 2018 DD and replaced it with a 2002. I am the data.

Turbine
Turbine GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/15/21 12:42 p.m.

We're a fleet of 4 with an average age of 15.75, but both mine and SWMBO's DD's are each less than 10 years old. Nothing we own has less than 110k miles

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/15/21 12:43 p.m.

My C10 really throws a curve ball into the mix pushing us to 18.75 year average age in the fleet. Take it out and we're 10.6

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/15/21 12:48 p.m.

I daily drive a combo of 04, 06, or 07 so that's 17, 15, or 14 years old.

I keep my wife in something newer,  currently 2019 or 2 years old

All those 4 average out to 12 years.  I feel so average.

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
6/15/21 12:51 p.m.

We're at about 7 until I add the Firefly.

14.5

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
6/15/21 12:57 p.m.

Think I'm on the older side vis a vis my equipe.

2009, 2007, 1971, 1962, 1958, 1956.  All are sports cars except the 71 which is a GT car.

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/15/21 1:03 p.m.
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:

This is my favorite stat for the "Cars don't last like they used to" crowd.

01 Boxster S - 19 Fusion Sport - 15 Expedition

Me too, but even on this forum facts mean nothing.  I've seen people here claim these stats are false and that it's a factor of more cars being on the road, not that they last longer, even though that's entirely backwards if you think about it.  Logic and stats are never enough for true believers of their own world view.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/15/21 1:05 p.m.

We are a fleet of 1 currently. It's a 2018.

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/15/21 1:21 p.m.

Damn, if you count model year we're at 11.6 years over five vehicles ranging from 99 to 17.  So we're right on the average.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
6/15/21 1:26 p.m.

Uhm yeah.   If you include my wife's car I am at 42 years average.  Just mine.. 52 years!

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/15/21 1:30 p.m.

If you count the vehicles that actually work and get driven I'm at 25.8, if you throw in the broken ones I'm at 31.7.

Keep in mind that's with the DDs being a 2017 & 2018..

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/15/21 1:47 p.m.

I guess it depends on whether or not collector cars that aren't driven that much get included in the calculation.

If I include my three classic cars and the big van (intended to be a p/t vehicle), the average age is 29 years old. ('72, '73, '79, '92)

If I only include the three modern drivers, the average age is 12.  (03, 06, 17)

asphalt_gundam
asphalt_gundam Reader
6/15/21 1:48 p.m.

26.5 for me...07, 04, 85, 82

Future chances of buying something pre 80 is much higher than something post 2000

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
6/15/21 2:01 p.m.

59.5 years fleet average.

67LS1
67LS1 New Reader
6/15/21 2:02 p.m.

I'm 63 years old and have exactly one new car in my life. I count that one purchase as probably the biggest financial mistakes I've ever made.

But I've also never ever had a car payment. Which I count amongst my best financial moves.

My current fleet is 1966, 1990, 2008, 2012 and 2015.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
6/15/21 2:04 p.m.

No matter what the government, EPA, dealerships and manufacturers tell you, Cars are more than capable of lasting well over 25 years without anything more than the maintenance listed in the owners manual. Rust belt people may have a different experience.

For some reason, people have been programmed that cars only last 5 years and it's somehow smarter to buy a new car than invest a couple thousand dollars in repairing whatever major component has just failed.

02Pilot
02Pilot UltraDork
6/15/21 2:07 p.m.

Four car average of 23 years old, and one of them is a 2021.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/15/21 2:12 p.m.

3 car average of 10.3....but that 2005 Mustang is really dragging me down, lol.

how about average mileage? 108,000 give or take.

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/15/21 2:14 p.m.

Or average is 25.3 years old. I thi k the 1970 duster really throws it

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
6/15/21 2:21 p.m.

Let's see, counting just the two "daily" drivers, we average 7.5 years old.  Combine all of our cars, and that bumps us to 23.2 years old.

j_tso
j_tso GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/15/21 2:29 p.m.

the daily driver is 21 years old, the fun car is 18 years older than that.

parker
parker Reader
6/15/21 2:30 p.m.

23.5 for total fleet, 18.66 for daily drivers

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/15/21 2:33 p.m.

My six vehicle fleet is at a 27.2 year old average but that's skewed heavily by the age of the toys.  The daily drivers average four years old while the four toys are an average of 38.75 years old including the 38 year old motorcycle that I bought new.

That doesn't make me feel old at all....

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/15/21 2:37 p.m.

My stats:
18.83 year average.  Hopefully 14.8 this year after a bit of consolidation!

Mileage average is probably about 145,000 miles.  Like above, 119,000 if things go well this year.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/15/21 2:37 p.m.

I was going to say hey now...I'm helping the average then I looked closer. 2, 20, and 36. yeah no......Average age is 19.3 years.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
6/15/21 2:38 p.m.

18.3 without my 2 year old  truck, but that's why I went and bought something new.

infernosg
infernosg Reader
6/15/21 2:59 p.m.

I'm curious what the median age is. This will tell you if there truly are lots of 12 year-old cars on the road or if the data is being skewed by classics. This has already been demonstrated by many posting in this thread, myself included. The average age of my fleet is 19.6 years; however, that's vastly skewed by my two RX7s at 41 and 35 years old. Ignoring them, the average is 7.3 (11, 9 and 2).

6/15/21 3:11 p.m.

Including my wife's 2014 Civic Si, we average 22.5 years.

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
6/15/21 3:26 p.m.
ShawnG said:

Apparently not

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
6/15/21 3:39 p.m.

Fleet average 36, just two cars. 41 year old X1/9 that I have had 17 years has only 189,000 miles. 31 year old Volvo 245 is at 312,000. I hope they both last the rest of my drive time.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
6/15/21 3:44 p.m.
Mr. Peabody said:
ShawnG said:

Apparently not

This place seems to be the exception.

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
6/15/21 3:57 p.m.

Wait.

You guys own stuff that is OBD-2??

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
6/15/21 4:00 p.m.

I'm curious what that curve would look like if you extended it back to 1960 or so.

Looks like I was able to find data from 1970 to 2000 to help extend the curve. In 1970, the average age was 5.3 years, rising to 7.5 by 1984.

My fleet's average age is 26 - if you only count cars that run, it would be 12.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/15/21 4:15 p.m.

13.25 years, including a 2021 model. It was 16.75 years before that car switch out.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/15/21 4:16 p.m.

11x2 + 34x1 + 38x1 / 4 = 23.5 for operational drivers

56x1 + 47x2 /3 = 50 for projects in progress

34.9 overall (that's older than me!!)

edit for average purchase price across all 7 = $3,185.71 no wonder my crap is always broken

johndej
johndej Dork
6/15/21 4:27 p.m.

5.5 vehicles with an average of 22 years (88, 92, 99, 05, 10, and a 1/2 share of another 99).

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
6/15/21 4:34 p.m.

Just the stuff with license plates current, is 29.2 years.  Proper DD stuff would be 18 years.  2002, 2003, 2004.  The really new 17 year old car is my daughters Sentra.

Every time I drive something newer, my interest in owning something newer shrivels.  I really, really hate cars that argue with me.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
6/15/21 4:41 p.m.

With all the carbon tax I'm paying on fuel, I can't afford to save for a newer car.

No Time
No Time SuperDork
6/15/21 4:42 p.m.

Currently at 11.5 with a 98, 08, 11, and 21.

When I finally wrap up the little things on the 98 and sell the 11, then we'll be average at 12

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
6/15/21 5:39 p.m.
MadScientistMatt said:

My fleet's average age is 26 - if you only count cars that run, it would be 12.

The 5 years in 1970 probably had a lot to do with the fact that a car in the north east would turn into a paper thin carcass of iron oxide in a few years if driven regularly.  I suspect some here have some stories about that...

Tom1200
Tom1200 SuperDork
6/15/21 5:41 p.m.

6 cars average age 25.83 years. Newest is 10 years old, oldest is 50. If we count the motorcycles the average is 29.33

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/15/21 5:49 p.m.
Cooter said:

Wait.

You guys own stuff that is OBD-2??

Somehow I suspect the Tesla does not have OBD-II. I should look.

As per infernosg's question about mean vs median, my fleet has an average age of 27.9 years and a median of 31. I am only counting currently registered vehicles, so the 1967 Land Rover and the spare 1966 Cadillac are not included.

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
6/15/21 7:52 p.m.
ShawnG said:

The reason is fear.  People who need mechanics to take care of their cars 90% of the population)  have all experienced the unneeded $700 brake job, or $2700 transmission overhaul.
Based on that 5 years is about their maximum courage length.  They'd rather take a beating on the trade in than have a budget busting needed repair when they can't afford it, so it goes on the credit card that charges 22% interest rate.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/15/21 8:07 p.m.
maschinenbau said:

I'm selling my 2018 DD and replaced it with a 2002. I am the data.

Your 2018 is like 25 in non-Italian years, though.

*ducks*

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/15/21 8:10 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
maschinenbau said:

I'm selling my 2018 DD and replaced it with a 2002. I am the data.

Your 2018 is like 25 in non-Italian years, though.

*ducks*

Cold. So cold.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/15/21 8:13 p.m.
aircooled said:
MadScientistMatt said:

My fleet's average age is 26 - if you only count cars that run, it would be 12.

Don't know about that, but I have heard stories of Vegas that had rust bubbles on the dealer lots.  And Nissans (Datsuns) allegedly used cheap eastern-bloc steel that wasn't fully refined, so the cars were being made precorroded, literally with iron oxide occlusions in the sheet metal.

I remember as a little kid, in 1984, my aunt's boyfriend using Bondo and red primer to patch up some gnarly rust holes in her '77 Pinto.

Better materials, engine tuning, and mandatory warranty requirements mean we also don't have engines that need valve jobs every 20k, or are considered to be completely worn out at 100k.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/15/21 8:15 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
maschinenbau said:

I'm selling my 2018 DD and replaced it with a 2002. I am the data.

Your 2018 is like 25 in non-Italian years, though.

*ducks*

Cold. So cold.

It's been painful to watch, I can't imagine what it's like to live through it.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
6/15/21 8:19 p.m.
aircooled said:
MadScientistMatt said:

My fleet's average age is 26 - if you only count cars that run, it would be 12.

Materials science advances, fuel injection, and electronically controlled transmissions have also had a massive effect on cars' longevity since 1970.  What kind of surprises me is that it was improving before FI was widespread.  I'd be curious to see the inflation adjusted average car price along the same timeline.  I'd also love to see longevity broken down by brand, to see if the increasing number of Japanese imports had a significant effect on how long cars lasted.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/15/21 8:24 p.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

Speaking of which.... drive by wire has probably done more to enhance transmission life than anything else.  They can cut power when shifting.  Automatics designed in the 50s/60s tended to be overbuilt because they had to deal with having to shift under load.  And then they usually wore out (relatively) quickly because they got smooth shifting by sleeeeeazing the trans into the next gear with soft engagement.  You'd pull the pan for the 30k mile trans fluid/filter change and there would be piles of sediment in the pan and on top of the filter, especially in more "luxury" cars.

The trans guy I used to use said he has seen 200k mile modern transmissions that still had visible printing on the bands and clutches.  This isn't a miracle of transmission development, it's transmission-friendly engine management.  Cut power, shift quickly, reapply power.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
6/15/21 8:31 p.m.

28 years, but my 61 Bugeye is skewing my numbers.

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
6/15/21 8:35 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

That's why it's the first thing you fix when tuning

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/15/21 9:05 p.m.

In reply to Mr. Peabody :

I never did.  The corollary is that the transmissions are designed around engine management that does that.   Why would I want to eliminate that?

I used to have a transmissiom that chirped the tires on every shift.  It was a C6, connected to a 9", so I got the opportunity to get good at replacing U-joints.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/15/21 9:23 p.m.

Five vehicles, avg 27.4. Leave out the 63 Morris Minor, still at 20 years. 88 Silverado, 99 Miata, 04 Ralliart wagon, 14 Mazda 5.

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/15/21 9:30 p.m.

We're at 8 years average age ('17, '16, and '06), but at 215k, 196k, and 84k (wife's car).  So our average is 8 years old with 165k.  Swapping my '01 Mustang GT (307k) for the '17 Odyssey with 196k last year definitely dropped our average age and mileage a bit.

oneway
oneway New Reader
6/15/21 10:02 p.m.

My wonderful wife and I have been married for 38 years and still have never purchased a new vehicle, unless you count the scratch and dent lawn tractor we purchased  new 9 years ago at Lowes.

We have lost count on the total number of vehicles we have owned over all these years but currently our daily use vehicles are 07, 11, 17.  The 17 is due to pick up trucks being so hard to find and we came across a great deal on the  low mileage Nissan pick up that was quite a bit less money than the several older high mile trucks we were looking at.  Older vehicles have always gotten us where we needed to be and see no reason for ever getting a new vehicle.  Our 2 project cars, not yet on the road are a 68 and 78.  Very interesting conversation.  Thanks, John-Lugoff, SC.

OldGray320i
OldGray320i GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/16/21 12:07 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) said:
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:

This is my favorite stat for the "Cars don't last like they used to" crowd.

01 Boxster S - 19 Fusion Sport - 15 Expedition

If you think about it, if logic and stats were used in this forum, it wouldn't exist.

OldGray320i
OldGray320i GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/16/21 12:16 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
maschinenbau said:

I'm selling my 2018 DD and replaced it with a 2002. I am the data.

Your 2018 is like 25 in non-Italian years, though.

*ducks*

My apologies to maschinenbau, but that's brilliant.

*ducks*

OldGray320i
OldGray320i GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/16/21 12:24 a.m.

28.5, with a 2000, 1994 (daily), 1983, at 138k, 172k, and likely 200+k.  The E21 is oldest/ highest millage, they'd rolled back the odometer - it had fewer miles on the odometer than on the old title when I reg'd it.

1kris06
1kris06 HalfDork
6/16/21 1:03 a.m.

Currently 5 years with a 14 and 18. Was 8 years until recently (had a 2004 winter beater).

90BuickCentury
90BuickCentury Reader
6/16/21 6:16 a.m.

Newest is a 2011. Oldest is a 1986. Total average is 26.2. Average Mileage is 140K, highest being 273K ('04) and lowest is 61K ('90).

I'm seriously considering purchasing a brand new vehicle at end of 2022, which would change it some.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/16/21 6:34 a.m.

Running average 14 years

throw MonZora in there and it's 24-1/2

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
6/16/21 6:54 a.m.

I don't buy new cars. I let other fools have the depreciation hit for the sake of impressing the neighbors.

My criteria is usually something less than 10 years old with right around 100,000 miles on it. Sticking with manual transmissions up until the last one also was helpful as nobody wants them outside of the GRM universe, though they are near-impossible to sell when I'm done using them up. I'm also not afraid of a scratch-n-dent model because the wife doesn't take care of the cosmetics and I'm done fighting that.

Last purchase was a 2010 Jetta Sportwagen, 2.5 auto, for $5300. From a car lot. Now has 160,000+ on it and has cost almost nothing to own after fixing a few oil leaks and replacing the rear shocks. I don't intend to replace it until the transmission pukes.

The money we don't spend constantly buying newer cars has paid off our house by the time I was 53.

Also, new cars suck. Too much annoying, intrusive technology I don't need/want. My company car Fusion (I'm not really cheating as I only drive it for work) has convinced me Sync and a dozen nanny aids only make the driving experience worse.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/16/21 6:59 a.m.

Drivable: Average is 4 years old

Fleet: Average is 17 years old

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
6/16/21 6:59 a.m.

It would be interesting to see data on average age by state. I would think the average gets higher as you go south or southwest from here (Michigan). I'll be in the garage today hammering pieces of a Chevy Astro fender into patch panels to repair rust on a 2003 MINI Cooper. My 1999 Miata has rust in all the usual NB places and needs attention ,too. Driving  20-30 year old vehicles in the rust belt isn't easy.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
6/16/21 7:07 a.m.

I have a 1988, a 1986, a 1965 and a 1961, so an average age of 46 years.

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
6/16/21 7:22 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to eastsideTim :

Or, in the case of my BMW under heavy throttle, cut some power, shift almost as slowly as an average manual driver, then reapply power.  Compared to the Jeep which would pull a bit of timing on shifts stock, but I tuned that out.  It never shifted all that softly, but with a few tweaks, it now just puts the abuse into the rest of the driveline.  It's not overly harsh, but it grabs each gear pretty quickly and firmly.  It's got 249k miles on that trans (started modding stuff at 120k), so I guess that theory can work well enough.

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/16/21 7:27 a.m.

The average age is 26.5. My newest vehicle is older than the national average.

06, 05, 03, 03, 00, 96, 88, 80, 56.

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
6/16/21 7:35 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to Mr. Peabody :

So are the engines designed around that engine management...

You don't have to eliminate it and go full destroy mode, just fix it. Auto trans are never tuned for performance as a priority, and while some are not terrible, a lot really are. And with a little tweak you can make a huge difference in the way a car drives without destroying reliability.

Somebody on here once said (criticizing what I was doing) about tuning my truck, do you know that any change you make is shortening the life of the engine? The stock tune will give you the best life.

Ten years later that's still funny

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/16/21 7:43 a.m.

My average model year is 1988, which also happens to be when I was born. Newest is 2007 which is still older than the average.

calteg
calteg Dork
6/16/21 8:08 a.m.

Average age of 17 years across 4 vehicles. Y'all are making me feel like I'm relatively modern.

Now the interesting point is that many of the older cars are weekend/toys/collectibles. Definitely true for me. The two oldest cars only move about once a month, the two newest are pulling DD duty

sir_mike
sir_mike New Reader
6/16/21 8:18 a.m.

My daily driver is a 1993 Ford I bought in 1995.My classics are a 1968 bought new and a 1969 I bought 25yrs ago.

Jeff351
Jeff351 New Reader
6/16/21 9:08 a.m.

26.75 for me

1970, 1989, 2004, 2014.

I cant justify spending a years salary on a new car. And then have to spend a big chunk of my weekly pay to make the payment on the car I drive to work. Makes no sense.

The 2004 Malibu is only used for my dog to ride in. He slobbers/sheds/unloads dirt and the occassionaly poo in there, we call it 'his' car. Once he is gone, we'll sell the car.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
6/16/21 9:08 a.m.

We have 4 cars and all are driven regularly. All were bought used, and two still had warrantee on them when we bought them. The 2008 GMC Acadia and the 2013 Mustang both were originally registered the year before their model year. My Mustang’s 3 year warranty ran out in June of 2015 (had less then 36k miles on it at that point). Same with the GMC, but I don’t recall when in 2010 the warrantee expired.

Going by the year on the title, the fleet is 10.25 years old.

jgrewe
jgrewe HalfDork
6/16/21 9:18 a.m.

'52,'59,'72,'76,'84,'88,'96,'99,'00,'01,'04,'11

34.1 and I realize I need something from the 60's

AaronT
AaronT Reader
6/16/21 9:33 a.m.

Me and the lady's fleet average is 13. Both DDs are 2012s, the Miata is a 1999. All cars between 130k-145k miles with the Miata having the fewest. We are looking to downsize the fleet in the few few years to a Maverick hybrid or Santa Cruz and new Frisbee twin.

Discussions of old and new cars will always bring out those who equate their own frugality with a conveniently superior morality. Each family has a unique set of constraints that change the math on these things. Also, the often forgotten fact that earning more can often outweighs making cuts rarely makes the equation. Some people make more by being to work on time every day than they would save by keeping an old car on the road.

Tom1200
Tom1200 SuperDork
6/16/21 10:42 a.m.

I should add that every vehicle in my fleet runs; I rib my friends constantly that they own 3 times as many vehicles as I do, yet I have double the number of running vehicles.

tester (Forum Supporter)
tester (Forum Supporter) Reader
6/16/21 10:52 a.m.

Current

1998 - 23

2010 - 11

2019 - 3

12.33 Average

We had two cars totaled in the past two years. The average would have been 15.3.

350z247
350z247 Reader
6/16/21 10:52 a.m.

Average of 2006.5 from our fleet of four: 2003 350Z, 2005 MCS, 2008 M5, and 2010 X5M.

Trent
Trent PowerDork
6/16/21 10:55 a.m.

Looks like I am at 32 years with the oldest vehicle being a 71

c0rbin9
c0rbin9 Reader
6/16/21 12:02 p.m.

I have been driving since 2007 and out of the 5 cars I have owned, none were newer than 1997. I doubt anyone here is as crazy as me when it comes to commitment to old cars. My current daily is a '94 Integra sedan.

jkstill
jkstill New Reader
6/16/21 3:26 p.m.

3 cars, 1 Pickup, avg is 16.75 yrs

that will be 20.7 years when I sell the 'new' car (2016 Mazda 3)

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/16/21 6:10 p.m.

It's funny because I think a good amount of people with a few old vehicles skew the stats to not mean much non GRMers included.

Somebody with three 2019 models and a 1977 pickup they use to run trash to the dump twice a year are going to look like they're "owning older vehicles longer" at 12.5 years but really they don't.

I have a 2019, 2017, 1973, 1973, and  1971 but 98% of the miles are on the 2017 and 2019 though the average age of my tagged and insured fleet is 30.4 years.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/16/21 6:41 p.m.

In reply to crankwalk (Forum Supporter) :

I was thinking about that at lunch... of the cars I own that are registered and running, in the sense that I have driven them this year, I have a 2006, a 1984, and a 1981.  I probably drive the '06 more miles in a week than I have driven the '84 and '81 all year, combined.

All of my cars from the 80s coincide with good Metallica albums, which makes me smile.

67LS1
67LS1 New Reader
6/16/21 6:54 p.m.

In reply to c0rbin9 :
My daily driver is a 66.

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/16/21 8:18 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to crankwalk (Forum Supporter) :

Kill em all and Ride the lightning should be in cassettes in them at all times.  I've got a dark side of the moon keychain that came with my 73 240. Nice period flare. haha

llysgennad
llysgennad Reader
6/17/21 1:57 p.m.

Our 3 daily drivers average to 15.0 years (newest is 6), and average mileage of 196k

Add the just-for-fun Jeep CJ and it goes to 22.3yo and 179k

Add the 3 projects and it's 33 years average. The oldest (1965) has the fewest miles by far (1/4 mile at a time)

aBzhJKDKbB5LNdg4jaBj0nQmRq0iRK0OgmqyKY2VONd0OzAKtTSicyaQzWOIfFpQ