A Car Collection Filled With RADwood Gems, and They Are All for Sale

Colin
By Colin Wood
Aug 21, 2020 | RM Sotheby's, Radwood

Cars from the Malaise Era, depending on who you ask, tend to have a negative connotation surrounding them. In more recent years, though, RADwood has celebrated these cars, as well as other oddballs from the late '80s and a lot of the '90s.

The tricky part, then, can be finding examples of these cars in clean enough condition, let alone run. If you've been on the hunt for some good RADwood candidates, then RM Sotheby's may have what you are looking for.

As part of its upcoming Auburn Fall sale, the auction company will be selling off the Dave Leimbach Collection, which may be one of the most unusual collections to ever go up for auction. Don't believe us? Just take a peek at just a few of the 65 cars included in the collection:

A 1985 Ford LTD

A 1984 Chrysler Executive Limousine

A 1991 GMC Syclone

A 1995 Ford Taurus SHO

Read more about the upcoming sale, as well as the rest of the cars in the collection over on Classic Motorsports.

Like what you're reading? We rely on your financial support. For as little as $3, you can support Grassroots Motorsports by becoming a Patron today.

Become a Patron!

Join Free Join our community to easily find more RM Sotheby's and Radwood news.
Comments
slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
8/21/20 5:30 p.m.

Oh dang. Those 80s Fords are right up my alley, except for the fact that they're way too mint for my budget.

BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter)
BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
8/21/20 5:46 p.m.

Syclone and SHO in the same place?

Mmmmmm.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
8/22/20 8:38 a.m.

I am really glad that LTD LX is an auto.

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/22/20 9:29 a.m.

I want the syclone.

calteg
calteg Dork
8/22/20 10:21 a.m.
Patrick (Forum Supporter) said:

I want the syclone.

I suspect you and 2,000 of your closest friends all want that Syclone

wspohn
wspohn Dork
8/22/20 1:10 p.m.

Looks like a good opportunity for some flame thrower practice...except for the SHO - I'd want the engine out of that one first!  That is one great looking engine!

02Pilot
02Pilot UltraDork
8/22/20 5:28 p.m.

The 302-swapped Rambler wagon is glorious.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
8/22/20 6:05 p.m.

That LTD LX is on my want list but that thing looks like it's been outside for its entire life.

Ben Jolly
Ben Jolly New Reader
8/23/20 11:33 a.m.

Not one, but two K-car limos in there.

So both of those predate my birth by a few years, but I'm curious: Would a K-car, especially a limousine, be a contender for an Index of Effluency trophy?

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
8/23/20 11:56 a.m.

I really want a sho to daily. But the foxbodys are awesome

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/23/20 1:00 p.m.

$8,000-$14,000...for this? GTFO. They are sure proud of it.

bmw88rider (Forum Supporter)
bmw88rider (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/23/20 1:26 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Keep in mind, That is just an estimate. I believe all of them are No Reserve so it could sell for $2K. I liked the Skylark Station Wagon till it showed the engine bay. Way too much car for a 3.8 Supercharged.

The Woodie is ummmm....Interesting. I'll just leave it at that.

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/24/20 3:15 p.m.
Ben Jolly said:

Not one, but two K-car limos in there.

Somebody 2.2 turbo swap these asap.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
8/24/20 4:18 p.m.
Appleseed said:

$8,000-$14,000...for this? GTFO. They are sure proud of it.

What do you expect from a Sotheby's estimate?

Also that Celica GT brings back memories. My best friend in high schol and til this day had one of those in hardtop fasion. He thought it would be a good idea to put a strait pipe with no muffler on it, the loudest car I've ever been in and I could hear him from almost a mile away. My dad welded a muffler on his car one night because he was tired of hearing it.

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/24/20 4:31 p.m.

I haven't seen an Eldorado that clean in a long time, i'd drive it.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/24/20 4:55 p.m.

I'll take the CL 65 AMG, please.

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
8/24/20 8:11 p.m.

The SHO V6 is the best looking V6 I have ever seen. I’ve always wanted one.

ecoi
ecoi
8/24/20 10:01 p.m.

SHO 24 valve built by TAMAHA.

ecoi
ecoi New Reader
8/24/20 10:01 p.m.

Sorry-YAMAHA

Appleseed said:

$8,000-$14,000...for this? GTFO. They are sure proud of it.

I don't think it'll realize 8k, but it is a well-optioned coupe with low miles. RADwood-era Americana is extremely difficult to price given the lack of data on clean, well-preserved examples like this. We'll absolutely see a day when an A-Body Buick sells for over 10 grand, but I don't think it'll be at a RM Sotheby's event. I predict more than a few of these will end up on BaT post-sale and cleaned up. (Just look at those floor mats!)

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/25/20 6:54 a.m.

K car limos are a huge want for me.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/25/20 7:05 a.m.

Think i want me an old Caddy now

stroker
stroker UberDork
8/25/20 7:51 a.m.
MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
8/25/20 10:36 a.m.
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) said:

Somebody 2.2 turbo swap these asap.

Pretty sure they came that way from the factory - because an obnoxiously loud, whistling engine is exactly what you should use to power a luxury limo. To be fair, I'm not sure what else they would have used; the Mitsu 2.6 would have been slow and probably less reliable, V6s weren't ready for production, and a 360 V8 would mean a complete redesign.

edit: Looks like these particular ones have the Mitsu 2.6 instead. I've seen one with the 2.2 Turbo, though.

The whole idea behind these is a bit baffling. Using the F/M/J platform would have made more sense. But this seems to have been a runaway application of Maslow's Law - when all you have is a K platform, all your products get four cylinders and front wheel drive.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
8/25/20 10:48 a.m.

Estimated sales price: $6000-10000.

This had to show up just two months after I'd plunked down that same budget on a "sensible" daily driver, didn't it?

Jordan Rimpela (FS)
Jordan Rimpela (FS) GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/25/20 11:25 a.m.

In reply to MadScientistMatt :

I'll be surprised if it goes for much over 8k, if at all. It's a low-spec LeSabre with over 100k--there's no way it has ~28k with that wear. On the plus side, the bumper fillers are nice.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/25/20 12:29 p.m.

Which is Tom getting for the next Gambler rig?

chandler
chandler PowerDork
8/25/20 12:45 p.m.

This is more like a used car lot in 2002 than a collectors auction.

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
8/25/20 1:30 p.m.

I looked at the whole Auburn auction and I was surprised that there are like 5 1980's Lincoln Mark 6.  Sort of a tarted up, 2 dr Lincoln Town Car. I never thought that was a highly regarded model. I know that Mark 5 was sort if the super Thunderbird of its day and the Mark 7 was the introduction of LSC and flowing body lines.

The factory CB in the Mark 6s are interesting.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
8/25/20 1:58 p.m.

I didn't get much further than that LTD LX.

TONY WANT.

Jordan Rimpela (FS)
Jordan Rimpela (FS) GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/9/20 10:56 a.m.

So the Buick Century? Just a hair over $7k. Great money for an A-Body, but not near the estimate. Not a surprise.

The Buick LeSabre Wagon? It went for under what I estimated at $6,325. A good deal that I attribute to the lack of cleanliness.

See how your hoopties did here.

Y3zoGvKQu105mdfKKp3ISn3qu24oGSgGypq0QEXNeMGyL9QM5W9vhboTQYuFu1au