Coming this Fall: The New Toyota GR 86

Colin
By Colin Wood
Apr 5, 2021 | Toyota, 86

Here it is, in the flesh: The new Toyota GR 86. We’ve already seen the new BRZ, but now we get to officially see its Toyota cousin.

Like the BRZ, the engine has been upgraded to a 2.4-liter, naturally aspirated flat-four that makes 228 horsepower and 184 lb.-ft. of torque. Other similarities include 215/40R18 tires found on the “Limited” trim of the BRZ, while curb weight comes in at around 2800 pounds.

On first looks, the only major difference here between Subaru and Toyota looks to involve the front grille, which on the 86 uses a honeycomb-esque opening instead the horizontal slats found on the BRZ. Much of the exterior styling looks virtually identical to its close Subaru relative.

The press release included a link to the new 86’s launch (in Japanese):

Toyota notes that the new 86 is scheduled to launch in Japan this fall, though no mention of when it will be available in other markets.

Is it better that the two models embrace their similarities, or would you like to see more distinct characteristics between the GR 86 and the BRZ?

Join Free Join our community to easily find more Toyota and 86 news.
Comments
z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/5/21 8:52 a.m.

And again, the Toyota/Scion version has a better front fascia than the BRZ.

If I don't end up going crazy and getting a 981 S, it will be one of these two most likely.

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
4/5/21 9:00 a.m.
z31maniac said:

And again, the Toyota/Scion version has a better front fascia than the BRZ.

Interesting.  I like the BRZ front end better this time around.  It's a little bit Porsche-like, while the grille on the Toyota version looks a little bit flat to me, almost like it got punched in the face.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/5/21 9:34 a.m.
rslifkin said:
z31maniac said:

And again, the Toyota/Scion version has a better front fascia than the BRZ.

The BRZ was growing on me and I agree it looks Porsche-y. But I like the less fussy look of the GR.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
4/5/21 10:42 a.m.
z31maniac said:
rslifkin said:
z31maniac said:

And again, the Toyota/Scion version has a better front fascia than the BRZ.

Agree 100%

toyota looks better

get your Porsche !

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/5/21 11:02 a.m.

The brz kind of looks like a porsche macan

spandak
spandak HalfDork
4/5/21 12:43 p.m.

Wait, GR-86? Why the R? Is this a Gazoo product?

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/5/21 12:54 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:
z31maniac said:
rslifkin said:
z31maniac said:

And again, the Toyota/Scion version has a better front fascia than the BRZ.

Agree 100%

toyota looks better

get your Porsche !

I did a ton of searching over the weekend. I'm not sure if I want to spend the money it's going to take to get one in the condition/miles/options I want. Have to see if prices calm down as it starts to cool down.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
4/5/21 12:54 p.m.

In reply to spandak :

Yeah, it's being grouped into the "GR Lineup" alongside the Supra and the bonkers version of the Yaris we don't get.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/5/21 1:06 p.m.

I like the grill of the 86 more but the potential to add functional brake ducts on the brz side inserts.

If you want either one, act quickly, as I suspect it'll be a short production run once the 400z comes out. Which is ashame as the new frisbee running E85 likely checks nearly all the boxes.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/5/21 1:19 p.m.

In reply to captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

I suspect a 400Z optioned the way most will want is going to push it past the $40k mark. The base has little more than AC and cruise control.

Less than $30k vs more than $40k is very different for guys pushing to afford a twin. On the average note that's a $200+/month difference in payment.

4/5/21 1:22 p.m.

Does it look a bit 370Z to anyone else?

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
4/5/21 1:27 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Does it look a bit 370Z to anyone else?

In the rear end, yeah

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
4/5/21 1:32 p.m.
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

Why would the Nissan have anything to do with these? Different categories of car and I forsee Nissan dealerships slapping the old razzle dazzle dealer mark up on the 400Z once it hits lots since that is the trendy thing to do.

I'm surprised Subaru is still carrying on with these in the first place. They've almost completely ostracized their core customer base which helped carry the brands popularity over the years by mainly focusing on CUVs and letting the BRZ, WRX, and STI be stagnant.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
4/5/21 1:42 p.m.
Colin Wood said:

In reply to spandak :

I was hoping that this would be a step up from the regular FR-S, with Toyota turning up the wick on these cars as far as they'd gone with a GR Yaris compared to a regular Yaris.

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/5/21 1:45 p.m.

Looks like a cross between a Porsche 911 and a Miata.

I like it.

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/5/21 1:49 p.m.
MadScientistMatt said:
Colin Wood said:

In reply to spandak :

Wait a minute. There's a bonkers version of the Yaris?? Why don't we get it?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/5/21 1:54 p.m.

I dig it. But not enough to ditch my FR-S.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
4/5/21 2:08 p.m.
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) said:
MadScientistMatt said:
Colin Wood said:

In reply to spandak :

Wait a minute. There's a bonkers version of the Yaris?? Why don't we get it?

Because we don't get any Yarises (Yarii?) anymore. But it is a homolagation rally car special with 268hp and AWD for the stillborn GR Yaris WRC.

There is also most likely a GR Corolla Hatchback on the way. Like 99.9% certain.

BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter)
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/5/21 2:10 p.m.
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) said:
MadScientistMatt said:
Colin Wood said:

In reply to spandak :

Wait a minute. There's a bonkers version of the Yaris?? Why don't we get it?

Look up "GR Yaris".

And because apparently "we" don't like small bonkers cars.

4/5/21 2:15 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) :

We like small, bonkers cars. We just don't seem to buy them in significant quantities.

BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter)
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/5/21 2:19 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

"We" as in the members of this forum do, I would think. But I don't think there's enough of us.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
4/5/21 2:32 p.m.
z31maniac said:

toyota looks better

get your Porsche !

Bummer. sadWhat are you going to buy then?

NickD
NickD MegaDork
4/5/21 2:53 p.m.

I have to say, while the new specs look promising and its cool to see Toyota and Subaru commit to a second generation of these cars, the styling on both of these is not good. The greenhouse, quarter panels and doors look like they haven't been changed from the first gen and the new front and rear treatments have a different styling language that clashes pretty badly. It's a tonally jarring car to the eye.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/5/21 3:00 p.m.
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to David S. Wallens :

And even many on this forum don't buy new. Then complain that no companies offer anything they want, without realizing the companies don't care if you buy used. Buying new is what makes the business case for them.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/5/21 3:03 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:
z31maniac said:

toyota looks better

get your Porsche !

Bummer. sadWhat are you going to buy then?

Not sure yet. A low mileage, properly optioned 981 S in great shape is currently a $50k+ proposition. That's a stout price for a car with no warranty.

But I know how much I enjoyed my last BRZ, so the new one at the same weight, with more power and much wider powerband is very tempting. Especially at the price.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/5/21 5:54 p.m.

Multiple websites are claiming the GR86 is getting a WHOPPING 4 hp increase over the BRZ to 232 hp.

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/5/21 6:02 p.m.
z31maniac said:
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to David S. Wallens :

We used to have a Mazda 2 which is the same as the Yaris. It was purchased new. When it was totalled we went back to the Mazda dealer and they didn't have Mazda 2s anymore so it was replaced by a new Honda CRV. I was actually on Copart today looking at Mazda 2s  that could be rebuilt as rallycross cars. I actually miss the little guy.

Did you know that an Alaskan Malamute will fit in the back seat of a Mazda 2? I own two other cars he didn't fit into.

300zxfreak
300zxfreak Reader
4/5/21 6:22 p.m.

I guess the styling is okay, until you reach the rear........what the hell is that all about ??

I assume one committee designed the taillights, one designed the lowers, and a third designed what I suppose is a deck/trunk/hatch lid.

Probable the same group responsible  for the Lexus RX front end. Damn, Toyota, get some new stylists that aren't on drugs.  I've tried like crazy to like the latest Supra, but I just can't do it.........

Vracer111
Vracer111 HalfDork
4/5/21 6:28 p.m.

Got hit with the ugly stick like the BRZ, but not quite as many times... 1st gen of either is much better and unique visually. Aftermarket bumpers and body kits may be a blessing for 2nd gen owners...

mblommel
mblommel Dork
4/5/21 9:08 p.m.

I'm glad they continued on for a 2nd generation.  I prefer the first generation's styling though. Did they raise the belt line? The first gens looked very low and wide, these look.... plump? Frumpy? Are they the same height? Something is off and I can't put my finger on it.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
4/5/21 9:50 p.m.

I think it would look better if some of that black plastic was color matched to the rest of the car.  And then sink a couple big round Hella driving lights through the mesh grill.  Finally, paint the wheels gold, and that's pretty much all fixed.

Imagine if the Supra had been this car with a stretched nose like the old days and one of Toyota's V6 engines up front.  Probably a manual trans somewhere that they could have used as well.

malibuguy
malibuguy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/5/21 10:08 p.m.

Taillights remind me of the later Buicks

mdshaw
mdshaw GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/5/21 11:32 p.m.

I'm just glad we'll have a long term supply of great handling rwd cars that will have bad motors & ripe for the K swap.  FR-SK /BRZK .  Hey that's frisky & bezerk.

fidelity101 (Forum Supporter)
fidelity101 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/6/21 8:05 a.m.

nobody cares, give us the yaris GR!

JAdams
JAdams New Reader
4/6/21 8:27 a.m.

I agree with someone's previous post that this looks like a Miata and Porsche had a baby. I totally dig it! I'll be anxious to see if there's any significant mark up on it when released and I might very well be in the market for one.

Edit: Also agree, I'd completely ignore this is we could get the GR Yaris! I'd literally be at the dealer tomorrow with money if I could get one of those things!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/6/21 8:28 a.m.
malibuguy said:

Taillights remind me of the later Buicks

I agree.  But I also don't think that's a bad thing. The styling isn't  bad at all.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/6/21 10:34 a.m.

I'm honestly shocked by the number of people who dislike the styling of the second generation frisbees.

Do they look as like they were lifted from the latest version of GTA where Rockstar doesn't pay for licensing so they combine aspects of 2-3 vehicles for design cues, absolutely. But is it actually terrible? Not at all.

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
4/6/21 10:55 a.m.

I doubt it'll happen, but I'd like to buy one. I can see a slight possibility but it's a long shot. Still, a guy can dream. I'd take it in green.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/6/21 1:38 p.m.

In reply to captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

I'm going to go up to the Toyota dealer before the end of the week and see if they will let me put down a deposit and choose the first color I like that shows up at the dealer.

fidelity101 (Forum Supporter)
fidelity101 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/6/21 1:55 p.m.

In reply to captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

I can't unsee this now, and I'm not that upset really.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
4/6/21 7:37 p.m.
DirtyBird222 said:

This exactly. I like the other Subies too but damn...........the WRX/STi are old now. Especially when the new Turbo Accord is winning the acceleration contest against the WRX.

Carbon (Forum Supporter)
Carbon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/6/21 9:49 p.m.

I hate that they dont make their own cars. Fanboi less every year.

Vracer111
Vracer111 HalfDork
4/7/21 10:35 p.m.

In reply to mblommel :

Does seem there's a little less window/higher belt line...but not that much of a difference. Hood line/front fender is a tad higher...along with less pronounced front fender bulges. There's also no more front fender garnish/vent. Went from svelte to a little plump in appearance, more bloated and less sculpted in appearance... kind of like difference between 1st and 2nd gen Eclipse (but not as bad). That 'civic' rear end though... no excuse for that visual change on the GR 86, biggest visual turn off for me.

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
4/8/21 7:56 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

In reply to BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) :

I'd be willing to do my share this year.

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/8/21 8:14 a.m.

Late to the party, but I like both versions.  Yes I see Porsche in the Scoobie and 370Z in the Yota and that's no bad thing.  They both have their merits

There's zero chance we'll ever see the Yaris GR here, even if the base Yaris was still sold here.  It's just about the most radical car since the Escort Cosworth or Isuzu VehiCROSS.  It's barely related to a base Yaris, same front structure, then a unique three door body with lower roof line, different floor pan for 4WD and then that nut's crazy power train.  I bet prices used will go through the roof in 25 years once they can be imported.  It's way beyond any homologation special from the good old days, and it's a sort of reverse homologation special as they aren't really needed with modern race and rally rules.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
4/8/21 11:13 a.m.
rslifkin said:
z31maniac said:

And again, the Toyota/Scion version has a better front fascia than the BRZ.

If you want to talk face, the BRZ looks like a Mazda 3 with jowls.

Weird how the FRS has a scowling look while the BRZ has a happy look.  Like the "At first I was like... But then I LOL'd" meme.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
4/8/21 11:16 a.m.
DirtyBird222 said:
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

You see the WRX and STi, but it was the Legacy Outback (the trim level before Outback was its own model) and Forester that sold like hotcakes, that allowed them to continue to sell warranty-nightmare performance cars.

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
4/8/21 11:20 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Agreed.  And don't forget the tons of base Imprezas, Legacies and Outback Sports they sold as well.

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/8/21 12:50 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
......that allowed them to continue to sell warranty-nightmare performance cars.

It's funny how life works, everyone I know who's owned a Scoobie of any description has never done anything except put gas in them and do oil changes.  I know my group size isn't statistically relevant, but the real world doesn't highlights the warranty nightmare people claim.  Same is true with VW's, despite the rep they just keep driving well over 10 years and 100k miles with noting except a non functioning gas gauge.  Now older MINI's and BMW's, they seem to have more issues with owners I know.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
4/8/21 1:45 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) :

"warranty nightmare" meaning " I was Just Driving Along(*) a couple days ago (**) when something broke, can you un break it for me pls"

* - Dumping the clutch at redline for the sixth time that day

** - Would have towed it to the dealership sooner, but it takes time to remove the boost controller, and reinstall the OE exhaust and tune

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/8/21 6:46 p.m.
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to David S. Wallens :

No, because a large cross section of that crowd thinks that buying brand new cars is for suckers and insists on only ever buying used...

...while nonironically complaining that manufacturers don't make cars they like any more.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
4/8/21 6:48 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

I'd go into crushing debt for a GR Yaris...

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/8/21 7:50 p.m.
Duke said:
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Yep, say it all the time. Especially with the reputation many owners for this platform have, I'd prefer to buy new.

Unless I was buying something to KSwap.

4/9/21 10:36 a.m.
Duke said:
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Yup. Sadly the OEs haven't figured out to build used cars.

ACLLJvVnA2BDHref2NhL6XOEx7mTuPXRdhzgu5BJRAcpvZFXGvFysIgn5wBxgmp3