Coming Soon: The Toyota 86

Ed
By Ed Higginbotham
Apr 4, 2016 | Toyota

The death of Scion isn’t killing the beloved FR-S. The popular sport coupe now has a new home and a new name—and a little more power, too.

Starting this fall, the FR-S will be rebadged as the Toyota 86. This move also comes with some other bonuses like suspension and powertrain upgrades including revised shock tuning and a spring rate change. On the manual version of the car, additional performance comes from a gear ratio change and a torque increase to 156 lb.-ft, as well as a five-horsepower increase to 205 horsepower.

Want all the latest motorsports news delivered right to your mailbox, eight times per year?. Subscribe to Grassroots Motorsports now.
Join Free Join our community to easily find more Toyota news.
Comments
Danny Shields
Danny Shields GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/4/16 1:18 p.m.

rslifkin
rslifkin HalfDork
4/4/16 1:19 p.m.
Danny Shields wrote: That all sounds good except for the actual name. A car called 86? Really? Toyota needs to bring back the folks who created their iconic car names like Celica, Camry and Corolla.

The 86 name is a tribute to the AE86 chassis Corolla.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/4/16 1:21 p.m.

Only the nerds know this

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/4/16 1:21 p.m.

Storz
Storz SuperDork
4/4/16 1:21 p.m.

86 in restaurant terms = get rid of something is prob what the OP is referring to, the allusion back to the AE86 is cool though.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
4/4/16 1:32 p.m.

trucke
trucke Dork
4/4/16 1:45 p.m.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/4/16 1:57 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: Well, it's not "eighty-six", as in "eighty-six that," it is "eight-six" as in "The eight-six is the king of the downhill on mount Akina."

Only about five people will call it an eight-six unless Toyota does a very good job of educating the masses.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
4/4/16 2:01 p.m.

You're forgetting about the Pontiac GOOOLE and the Ford FISO

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
4/4/16 2:11 p.m.

Hey, the Fiat x-nineteen was a popular name.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan HalfDork
4/4/16 5:34 p.m.

Saw a white one in D.C. on Sat. I think. Looked pretty nice had a rear window sticker 86club.com mid-atlantic. Might put up some photos later.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Dork
4/5/16 12:01 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
4/5/16 6:26 a.m.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/5/16 6:30 a.m.

It's a terrible name, but you guys have already figured that out.

trucke
trucke Dork
4/5/16 7:44 a.m.

Interesting that in the early Initial D episodes, Takami did not know what an Eight-Six was .. and he drove one!

So this should work out just fine for Toyota.

4/5/16 8:49 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Surprised they didn't just call it the GT86 like the JDM model, I mean the badges are already in production...

That's what I was expecting, too.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
4/5/16 8:49 a.m.

Anything is better than being a Scion.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/5/16 8:52 a.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: Hey, the Fiat x-nineteen was a popular name.

At least they wrote it X1/9. Maybe this should be the 8-6.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
4/5/16 9:01 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote:
That's what I was expecting, too.

Or badge it as a Trueno and then change it to 86 after the first season?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/5/16 9:10 a.m.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
4/5/16 9:32 a.m.

^^ it was the Corolla GTS. It was also a forgotten car until the Initial-D cartoons came out. We had the cleanest one in the world around the GRM offices when I first came on board in 2002. It was fun, in a slow, quirky, 80s Japanese car kind of way.

I actually competed in a very early drifting competition at the very first Hyperfest. (in Charlotte) That was fun, but the little GTS didn't have enough power. I ended up fitting the smallest tires I could to the back, and it worked ok---- until those tires came apart!

Of course the Toyota 86 (or Frisbee twins) are far, far superior cars in nearly every way compared to the old Corolla GTS. They look way better to my eyes as well---- but if this board has taught me one thing, it's we all have vastly different ideas of what looks good.....and what doesn't.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture PowerDork
4/5/16 10:01 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: The AE86 was never called the AE86 except by the sort of guys who read VIN tags, right? It had a normal name in the US, Corolla or something. I think it may have been called the Sprinter in Australia, but that name is taken now.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
4/5/16 10:05 a.m.

In reply to pointofdeparture:

Just make sure you get a new tach if your dad slaps a hot motor in there.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/5/16 10:09 a.m.

Like I said, only used by the sort of guys that read VIN tags. Unless you're one of those nerds, you have no idea what AE86 means. Heck, I have to google the engine code for my BMW every time I want to access the nerd forums, and if you started using SW20 around me you'd just get a blank stare. And I am pro car guy.

We only just started using the Nx nomenclature on our website because most people still call them 1990 Miatas, not NA6s.

So Toyota trying to use 8-6 to bring back memories of the AE86 (which I call an A-E-Eighty-Six because I've never spoken to a Toyota nerd in person) is trying a bit hard. GT86 would have made some sense because, well, it sounds cooler.

The Corolla GTS was a great Locost donor.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 Dork
4/5/16 10:12 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:
Dr. Hess wrote: Hey, the Fiat x-nineteen was a popular name.
At least they wrote it X1/9. Maybe this should be the 8-6.

It worked for the 9-3's and 9-5's. This is a good idea.

For me reading about a Toyota 86 will be synononymous with an E36M3.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 Dork
4/5/16 10:17 a.m.

So it's like if, some years in the future, Ford were to introduce a new car called the "95" in reference to the SN95 chassis Mustangs. I would have called it a Celica.

I still want one.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/5/16 10:22 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:
Dr. Hess wrote: Hey, the Fiat x-nineteen was a popular name.
At least they wrote it X1/9. Maybe this should be the 8-6.

would help, but people even refer to saab 9-3 and 9-5 as ninety three and ninety five. And porsch.

For kicks, I like to ask people from other countries to say their phone number. You can get some interesting results.

Like:

303-335-1000 = "three-zero-triple-three-fifty-one-thousand" What?

Vracer111
Vracer111 Reader
4/5/16 1:31 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: I can't quite believe Toyota isn't going to start the 86 run with a black and white car with a Trueno badge. The opportunity is HUGE. Are they so conservative they don't want to be somehow shown as supporting Street racing? Car commercials do stupid things all the time. Shoot a commercial with an 86 drifting down a mountain road. Boom, instant hype. And get Netflix to put the show back on dammit.

Scion did that basically for one of their first FR-S commercials:

2013 FR-S Teaser

Murphy
Murphy New Reader
4/5/16 1:45 p.m.
Trackmouse wrote:
Keith Tanner wrote:
Only about 95% will believe it's a predecessor unless Toyota changes it. Great car, absolutely ZERO in common with the name that built it. I can deal with the boxer motor, and I like the IRS, but dammit, it was a weird, clunky, origami shaped wedge and THATS what I wanted! Bring back the flip up headlights! Give me a squared hatchback! I wonder what an ACTUA! Modern 80's restyle of a car would look like? How successful are the throwback camaro and mustang and challenger? Compared to the charger? Charger sells to families. Not hot rod enthusiasts.
Murphy
Murphy New Reader
4/5/16 1:46 p.m.

Just wait a few decades and there will be brand new factory versions of the 80s cars when the 80s kids are at retirement age

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 Dork
4/5/16 2:06 p.m.

In reply to Murphy:

That sounds awesome.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant UltraDork
4/5/16 3:16 p.m.

I'm so glad they're honoring Maxwell Smart with a car.

NickD
NickD HalfDork
4/5/16 3:22 p.m.
pointofdeparture wrote:
AE86 was the chassis code, much like NA6 (Miata), FC3S (RX-7), SW20 (MR2), etc. Corolla GT-S in the USA, Sprinter Trueno in Japan, but you could also get it there with fixed headlights as the Corolla Levin. They are cool but I'm not sure I'd be able to have much fun in one without a 20v or 4AGZE swap.

And AE86 was only the chassis code overseas. In the US, despite being roughly the same car, they were actually an AE88, a fact that most people miss. And the Corolla Levin was an AE85. On another note, I tried watching Initial D and absolutely hated it. And I love anime, so it wasn't that.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture PowerDork
4/5/16 3:44 p.m.
NickD wrote: And the Corolla Levin was an AE85.

Also, some US cars totally had an AE86 VIN:

NickD
NickD HalfDork
4/5/16 3:49 p.m.

In reply to pointofdeparture:

I honestly don't care to watch anime (or any movies, really) about cars. I prefer my anime to be about giant mechs smashing the ever-loving E36 M3 out of each other or anything by Shinchiro Watanabe. The 2009 movie Redline by Madhouse (Not the live-action garbage from '07) was definitely interesting though

rslifkin
rslifkin HalfDork
4/5/16 4:49 p.m.

I'm pretty sure for the US market, it went AE85 = DX trim, AE86 = SR-5 trim, AE88 = GT-S trim.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Dork
4/5/16 7:54 p.m.
pointofdeparture wrote:
NickD wrote: And the Corolla Levin was an AE85.
Not quite. Sprinter Truenos and Corolla Levins with the 4AC were AE85s. AE86 was the signifier of the 4AGE in either model (trim levels GT, GTV, and GT Apex). This Levin has the VIN AE865073479 since it's an original 4AGE car, for example. Also, some US cars totally had an AE86 VIN: I agree on Initial D not being that great though. When I was 15 I thought it was the coolest thing in the world. Tried watching again recently and it has not help up well (though Third Stage-forward is MUCH better than the first two seasons). Reading Over Rev or Wangan Midnight is a much better option if you're an otaku car nerd.

Ah man, you gotta check out the new "initial D: legends" movies. They are updated dialog wise and have better (read- realistic) car terms. My person favorite jacked up line from the show "it's got the original 70's tires!" Ahem, should have said "it has the original 70 SERIES tires!"

Vracer111
Vracer111 Reader
4/6/16 10:13 a.m.

Capeta or eX-Driver are two of my favorites (besides Initial D) for anime car related shows... one is about the progression of a racer from kart to formula racing as he grows up and the other is about a special team in the future taking out or regaining control of rogue autonomous vehicles using 'antiques' (Caterham Super 7, Lotus Europa, Subaru WRC coupe/Lancia Stratos, and Ducati 900SS) - because they are not hackable like future integrated network vehicles. The OVA movie also features a modified MX-5 as the main vehicle.

Best vehicle audio track in anime goes to eX-Driver...mainly for that Ducati 900SS sound ... right up there with the Shelby Cobra GT500 in Gunsmith Cats. Initial D does have fairly good audio, but not quite the same.

Also, something actually relevant to this thread:

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
4/6/16 10:25 a.m.

The best car related cartoon series is Speed Racer---- all others bow before Speed, Trixie, Spritle and Pops--- and of course Racer-X!

chriswadsworth
chriswadsworth New Reader
4/6/16 9:35 p.m.

So with the subi flat 4 and the Toyota chassis its like Takumi's Hachi-Roku and his Dads Imprezza RS (I mean they were both Tofu delivery cars but you get the idea). For reference point to my nerdiness I was 14 when that show came out, 17 the first time I saw it and 35 when I saw the finale and yes I hate to admit but I have watched every stage. This might deserve its own thread.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/6/16 9:47 p.m.

Vracer111
Vracer111 Reader
4/7/16 1:24 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: eX-driver fan here as well. The vehicle dynamics are a bit off, but the characters look great and it's fun. In Initial D, only the cars look good. The people are just plain ugly.

Initial D: Legend movies fix that though...

Danny Shields
Danny Shields GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/12/16 8:05 a.m.

In reply to slantvaliant:

Nice plug for Agent 86, but I will wait for the "99".

hxRcjhQzFjjEkWVMlm1LfYAUORpF400mX0to8p4FBZEDm6kBhUzpIq6SOjGlHaRn