GMC to Revive Hummer Name With Electric Truck

Hummer is coming back!

Well, sort of.

GMC has announced that they plan to revive the Hummer nameplate in order to launch their first electric pickup: the GMC HUMMER EV. Not much has been released besides a teaser shot, a 30-second Super Bowl ad, and a website, but GMC is making some bold performance claims for their new electric pickup:

• 1000 horsepower
  • 11,500 lb.-ft. of torque
  • 0 to 60 mph in 3 seconds

The GMC HUMMER EV will be officially revealed on May 2 of this year.

Is the electric pickup truck the hot item of 2020? Is this what we’ll all use to tow our Miatas? Read the full press release below:

DETROITGMC will introduce the GMC HUMMER EV, bringing bold design and remarkable capability to the electrified vehicle space, during this weekend’s big game, in an ad titled “Quiet Revolution.”

The spot juxtaposes the staggering anticipated performance metrics of GMC’s first all-electric truck with the remarkable quietness inherent in the operation of an electric vehicle.

The GMC HUMMER EV truck will showcase the GMC brand’s design and engineering potential, and will feature1:

1,000 horsepower
11,500 lb-ft of torque
0 to 60 mph in 3 seconds

GMC builds premium and capable trucks and SUVs and the GMC HUMMER EV takes this to new heights,” said Duncan Aldred, vice president of Global Buick and GMC. “We are excited to debut our revolutionary zero-emissions truck during the biggest night in TV advertising.”

The GMC HUMMER EV will be revealed on May 20, 2020 and built in Michigan at General Motors’ Detroit-Hamtramck assembly plant2.

The 30-second TV spot is scheduled to air during the second quarter of the big game. The spot highlights the anticipated performance of GMC’s all-electric super truck, which will generate remarkable metrics in terms of horsepower, torque and acceleration while providing incredible on- and off-road capability. All of this is combined with the vastly reduced noise and zero emissions inherent in the operation of an electric vehicle.

As part of the digital and social media marketing push surrounding the big game ad, GMC will take over the YouTube homepage masthead on Friday, Jan. 31. Customers can follow the conversation at #GMCHummerEV.

More information is available at www.gmc.com/hummerev.

1Based on General Motors estimates.
2The GMC HUMMER EV will be built in Michigan at GM’s Detroit Hamtramck Assembly with globally sourced parts.

Join Free Join our community to easily find more Hummer EV and GMC news.
Comments
spandak
spandak Reader
1/30/20 12:58 p.m.

That's a big fast missle.
Hide yo kids.
Based on who bought those around here this is dangerous news.

Raze
Raze UltraDork
1/30/20 1:05 p.m.

...but can I track it?

I'll take my racecruck in red...so it will hide the carnage...

I can't stop laughing...this is awesome...the times we live in!!!laugh

NickD
NickD PowerDork
1/30/20 1:07 p.m.

Oh god no. Please. Stop. Can't wait to have to work on these abortions. The H2s and H3s were big enough piles of E36 M3.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
1/30/20 1:09 p.m.

More forced EVs! My freedoms! Noooo!

Sounds amazing. I love that the "hippie left" vehicle has now become so amazingly powerful. I can't wait to see the road tests of this versus a Cybertruck versus a Rivian. As Raze said, the times we live in!!!

1/30/20 1:17 p.m.

Ford sells about 900,000 F-150s a year. I'm sure GM sells nearly that many trucks as well. If you could grab just a tenth of that figure, that's still a lot of units.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
1/30/20 1:17 p.m.

Awesome news, pretty impressive numbers there but range and price will be the deciding factor. Grille looks good, hope the rest of the truck doesn't look like a design from a sci-fi nerd... IOW, keep it with more traditional truck styling. Glad to see it is a GMC sub-brand and not Chevy (read Camaro-ish styled).

Former GM plant Lordstown is in the hiring process for battery production. Interesting times we live in.

GM can nail this. This may well be the test bed for Mary's "all electric future". I'm still somewhat apprehensive about that.

TopNoodles
TopNoodles Reader
1/30/20 1:23 p.m.

The Hummer was always a fashion statement, this makes perfect sense. Range be damned, if it can get to the grocery store that's all that matters. GM just has to find a loophole to give it an attractive enough range figure to get it off the lot.

The question is, does this mean an electric Suburban is a possibility?

bluej
bluej UberDork
1/30/20 1:38 p.m.

Shoulda called it the "buzzer" or "zapper".

NickD
NickD PowerDork
1/30/20 2:01 p.m.
dculberson said:

More forced EVs! My freedoms! Noooo!

Not sure if that was aimed at me, but my comment was less on this being an EV and more on the fact that the 2000s Hummer brand cranked out some truly wretched vehicles, so I'm not excited to see the revival of this brand name. Also, not all, but an abnormal percentage of Hummer owners were some pretty strange/annoying people, at least as far as being customers, and this will likely bring them back to GM by the droves.

Rons
Rons Reader
1/30/20 2:10 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

This is the halo ev with gaudy numbers. The rigs that really pull the technology will be standard looking Silerados and for Ford F150s. These lesser vehicles wiil start at fleet only with rubber floor mats and am/fm radios way lower power and range.This will be the favourite of various levels of government, these trucks don't need nav etc because the operator will install their own comm, gps, dispatch systems.

If any one doubts the desire of local government I can go take a picture of the District of North Vancouver's fleet of Nissan Leafs,

stanger_missle
stanger_missle UltraDork
1/30/20 2:12 p.m.

Electric Hummer sounds like something found on Urban Dictionary.

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Reader
1/30/20 2:13 p.m.

Wasn't there an H2/H3 rally raid project (re: proof of concept) or did I dream the whole thing up?

I found it.... Was an H1

Project Sandstorm

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
1/30/20 2:17 p.m.
dculberson said:

More forced EVs! My freedoms! Noooo!

Ah yes, the harvesting of those rare earth minerals and other necessities to make EVs do their thing make such good shakra's to environment.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
1/30/20 2:22 p.m.
stanger_missle said:

Electric Hummer sounds like something found on Urban Dictionary.

No joke, the dealer they had out in Buffalo was literally called Buffalo Hummer. I saw the plate frames and went "That's unfortunate"

Brake_L8
Brake_L8 Reader
1/30/20 2:36 p.m.

Military cosplay enthusiasts will LOVE this.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo Mod Squad
1/30/20 2:46 p.m.
Brake_L8 said:

Military cosplay enthusiasts will LOVE this.

I actually wonder how long before this makes the leap back over to DoD.  Maybe wait until dynamic exothermic chemical runaway is not a concern from the battery storage.  But then, I think it makes some interesting possibilities.

_
_ Dork
1/30/20 2:58 p.m.

The new Bummer. It'll weigh 12,000lbs, travel to 30knots, and break ice as deep as 26ft.

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
1/30/20 3:01 p.m.

Do I detect a bit of tacit acknowledgement of the genius of CyberTruck marketing?

Should be an interesting vehicle, but i'll wait until it's less clickbait-y to muster my own personal interest.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
1/30/20 3:02 p.m.

blame it on Arnold !

he already built one.......

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
1/30/20 3:28 p.m.

I hope to eventually see nothing but complaints and negative comments. I certainly do not want to see anyone just contemplating how awesome this tech (probably) will be.

/Sarcasm

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
1/30/20 4:12 p.m.
NickD said:
dculberson said:

More forced EVs! My freedoms! Noooo!

Not sure if that was aimed at me,

Oh absolutely not, sorry. It's aimed at the EV naysayers that keep claiming EVs are being "forced" on them. There are at least two that regularly use that word abour EVs on this forum.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
1/30/20 4:27 p.m.
Brake_L8 said:

Military cosplay enthusiasts will LOVE this.

I just vomited with laughter...

stanger_missle
stanger_missle UltraDork
1/30/20 4:41 p.m.

Who doesn't want an electric Hummer?

Sparkydog
Sparkydog Reader
1/30/20 5:26 p.m.

In reply to stanger_missle :

Dangit. Beat me by 1 hr for this post.

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
1/30/20 6:09 p.m.
dculberson said:
NickD said:
dculberson said:

More forced EVs! My freedoms! Noooo!

Not sure if that was aimed at me,

I mean, how the hell are the bros supposed to roll coal and make loud turbo-diesel noises with an EV? The shame, the shame. Bro Culture will never be the same.

But, with electrics, you can probably put 25" wheels on it with rubber-band BFG all-terrains to Bro even harder, so maybe that makes up for it.

jorcane
jorcane New Reader
1/30/20 6:14 p.m.

'Member hummer? Oh sure I 'member hummer!! You're getting a reboot and you're getting a reboot. Everybodys getting a reboot! Is that torque figure a typo? I dont dislike the idea, just hoping its not total garbage like the H2.

STM317
STM317 UltraDork
1/30/20 6:25 p.m.
dculberson said:

More forced EVs! My freedoms! Noooo!

Seems like a two way street to me. I'm trying to decide which stereotype will be more upset by this.

The obnoxious Hummer guys will be fired up because their beloved beast will be reborn, and" forced down their throats" as a "Barbie Jeep" EV.

But the stereotypical EV hippies can't be thrilled with a monstrous EV that's focused on just about everything but economy and environmentalism bringing a bunch of macho bros into their club and flexing on the curbs of the fast charging station.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE HalfDork
1/30/20 6:54 p.m.
Vigo said:

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
1/30/20 6:57 p.m.

I think one of the marketing wanketeers misread towing capacity as torque.

_
_ Dork
1/31/20 12:16 a.m.
jorcane said:

Is this a memberry South Park reference? If so, lol. If not, please watch the memberry story arche and proceed to laugh ass off forever.

penultimeta
penultimeta HalfDork
1/31/20 7:52 a.m.

Huh. I have no strong feelings about this. I mean, if we're about to enter a world of EV truck wars, I think...it's...cool...I guess?

ShinnyGroove
ShinnyGroove Reader
1/31/20 8:20 a.m.

The irony that the brand that represented the pinnacle of early 90's giant urban SUV environment-be-damned look-at-me-ism  is coming back as an eco-friendly truck.

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
1/31/20 8:25 a.m.

I don't really have any strong feelings about this. I do find it odd that they picked Hummer of all brand names to try this with, I'd have picked Saturn, dusted off the old tooling, and cranked out a bunch of first gen Vues and Skies.

OTOH, Yay electric pickups.

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
1/31/20 8:48 a.m.

Saturn does seem like it would be a good fit for an EV reboot, but i think it's pretty well dead. In fact, there's some Saturn tie-in with GM's EV1 if i remember correctly. Ever seen Who Killed the Electric Car?

In the past, it was the manufacturers who were being 'forced', by the state of California. They reluctantly created things that presented "the threat of a good example".  25 years later everyone is doing it voluntarily, but GM is at least 5-10 years behind where they would have been on EVs if they hadn't tried so hard to bury threats to the business model of a century now past. Ironically they're still much further along than Ford, apparently.

The time period between EV1, what you might call 'peak US auto manufacturer hedonism/hubris', and their subsequent bankruptcy and bailouts is pretty short and pretty predictable in retrospect.  Some things have changed, and maybe now the great irony of tying both ends of the spectrum (electric cars and the Hummer which was basically the canary chirping happily away in the mine right up until it wasnt) together into one vehicle will fly, but ultimately we're still in roughly the same sort of $2 gas lackadaisical energy climate that preceded the last meltdown, so another decade from now we might look at a gigantic 2020 Hummer EV as the ghost of a lesson not learned.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku UltimaDork
1/31/20 8:53 a.m.

It will cost $99,000 and tick off the greenies despite being eletric. Just watch....

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
1/31/20 9:03 a.m.
dculberson said:

More forced EVs! My freedoms! Noooo!

Pretty sure these comments became irrelevant when the 0-60 times dropped below 5 seconds. My sister is a semi-hippie left type that loves her Prius and Leaf. She's not much on the Teslas because their aim is more  performance oriented instead of absolute efficiency. If they built one that accelerated like her Prius and went 500+ miles on a charge she might be interested.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf SuperDork
1/31/20 9:14 a.m.
jorcane said:

Silent operation, huge torque, and reboot you say???

Can I get a pillow top button tuck seat Brougham with effortless torque?  Call it "the Oldsmobile".

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
1/31/20 9:25 a.m.

It won't sell well in my area but I'm curious too how it will do in more urban areas. Farmers aren't about to give up internal combustion for what they do.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE HalfDork
1/31/20 9:44 a.m.

In reply to Vigo:

Honestly? I think Buick is perfect for it- big China presence, already has an EV (in China), and lacks real brand "identity" here in the states for anyone not over 40. Plus, they already have the Electra name! It's perfect laugh !

Gearheadotaku said:

No it won't. Most seem to understand why the Cybertruck is "the way it is" (huge, powerful, make the hootus feel 10 feet long ect) so they'll focus on it getting more people riding the lightning.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
1/31/20 9:52 a.m.

I don't get why this isn't a Cadillac. GM said that they were reinventing Cadillac and that was going to be their EV brand going forward, back when they killed of a whole bunch of models. Of course, no sooner did they say that, they went forward and introduced a new ICE crossover (a rebadged Traverse) and 2 brand-new ICE sedans (which was also shortly after GM announced that cars had no future), so it's clear that as usual, GM has no idea what to do with Cadillac. They also said that the XT# and CT# naming convention a la Infiniti was the future, and now are saying they are moving away from that to give models actual names.

nimblemotorsports
nimblemotorsports Reader
1/31/20 10:16 a.m.
Gearheadotaku said:

I called the Model S the 'Hummer of EVs" because it is not eco-friendly at all, a 4500lb inefficient form of transportation.

Now there WILL BE A HUMMER EV, and it will be 8000lb not-eco-friendly form of transportation.

So yes, as a greenie I don't approve.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
1/31/20 10:35 a.m.
The0retical said:

Somewhat related, as a lot of my childhood was spent in the back seat of a Saturn SL, and later a Vue (which my mom still has). While I know it wouldn't be the same, I'd give anything to have Saturn back on the market.

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon HalfDork
1/31/20 10:46 a.m.
The0retical said:

OTOH, Yay electric pickups.

Doubt many people would care or even know about Saturn anymore but that being said it would just be badged as a Chevrolet Saturn if they did. But take a look at the huge exposure that gm is getting with this electric hummer. That alone is why this was they did this plus since gmc is a very popular profitable premium brand makes this hummer a very good fit.

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon HalfDork
1/31/20 10:48 a.m.
nimblemotorsports said:
Gearheadotaku said:

So yes, as a greenie I don't approve.

most greenies/hippies don't drive alone buy cars.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
1/31/20 10:52 a.m.
MotorsportsGordon said:
nimblemotorsports said:
Gearheadotaku said:

So yes, as a greenie I don't approve.

most greenies/hippies don't drive alone buy cars.

Zing.

RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
1/31/20 10:52 a.m.

Ugh. Less obnoxious SUVs. Less it's an electric "truck". More truck shape and truck usefulness with electricity.

Not that I'm buying, but so far from prototypes and teasers from everyone else, Rivian still looks like the only electric truck manufacturer in the market.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
1/31/20 11:34 a.m.
The0retical said:

OTOH, Yay electric pickups.

If they wanted to market this 1,000 hp thing as a Saturn, Tool's given them a ready made jingle in the form of "The Grudge." "Saturn ascends, comes round again..."

TJL
TJL HalfDork
1/31/20 1:12 p.m.

I though the hummer name was sold to a chinese company years ago?

either way, its a vehicle i wouldnt ever consider buying so, moot.

i saw a h2 today which i always liked calling the "boxy monstrosity" from grand theft auto. Im surprised when still i see one in the wild.  I had a short little boss in the early 00's who bought a H2, it fit him perfectly. Guy was like Yosemite sam, his lift boots brought him to like 5', he was all about the compensation.

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
1/31/20 1:36 p.m.

In reply to TJL :

One of my junior mechanics bought an H3 years ago. He got the thing stuck in the desert somewhere and we pulled him out with my other co-workers 1st Gen Xterra.

Gave him crap for years about that.

Maybe I spent too much time around Humvees, but I don't think much of them or a brand based off them.

neverdone
neverdone New Reader
2/1/20 7:21 p.m.

It's a GM product- it will suck no matter how they brand it.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
2/4/20 9:00 a.m.

When I first read this thread I assumed the 11500 ft lbs of torque was a misprint. But then I saw that same number stated on their super bowl ad, which I assume was proofread pretty thoroughly. I'm no engineer, but if that number is correct wouldn't you need drive axles about 18" thick?

I get using the hummer brand for this. If it's a success they can brand it as a big win for gm. If it's a failure they can downplay it enough to not tarnish the chevy/GMC branding.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w UberDork
2/4/20 9:23 a.m.
gearheadmb said:

That's torque at the wheel.

STM317
STM317 UltraDork
2/4/20 9:24 a.m.

In reply to gearheadmb :

The 11.5k is probably taking gearing into account. It's likely a very torquey thing, but not 10 times more than some beastly modern muscle cars or diesel 1 ton trucks.

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller HalfDork
2/4/20 9:53 a.m.

Maybe they will make this Hummer high enough for me to see under it when I'm turning right out of the mall parking lot in my Miata.

iADui66RFGB8kK4IjmNJlEBuWwIzbYsIpXgOt3SSQQ6tHGwfM30SsGtzSw9h40nc