Grassroots Motorsports $2018 Challenge Registration Open

Ed
By Ed Higginbotham
Jun 1, 2018

Registration for the Grassroots Motorsports $2018 Challenge is officially open.

What’s the $2018 Challenge. Simple: You have a $2018 budget to build a car to excel in autocross, drag racing and concours. What would you build? A V8-powered Honda CRX? A Mustang grafted into a Subaru Justy? An all-wheel-drive hybrid Fiero?

Click here to register through MotorsportReg.

Join Free Join our community to easily find more news.
Comments
AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/1/18 11:02 a.m.

First!

NordicSaab
NordicSaab HalfDork
6/2/18 7:06 a.m.

Hmmm... to run this year or wait til next year... decisions... decisions...

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
6/2/18 7:13 a.m.

Damn fine looking cars there, I approve your choice of picture yes

Indy-Barely Functional-Guy
Indy-Barely Functional-Guy UltraDork
6/2/18 7:42 a.m.

I clicked around, but short of actually registering, I can't tell what $$ the entrance fee is. Anyone know?

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
6/2/18 9:00 a.m.

you ever heard the saying, If you Have to ask........... ,     Roundtrip food and Fuel, min.2 days Hotel, entry fee, car.

about a Month's wages for me.

An Event you Can't Afford to Miss!

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/2/18 9:29 a.m.

I guess this means I need to start working on the car...

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
6/2/18 9:42 a.m.
EvanB said:

I guess this means I need to start working on the car...

Ditto... or actually finalize what I’m bringing.... blushsurprise

6/2/18 10:07 a.m.

Procrastinate now !

6/2/18 1:38 p.m.

6/2/18 1:44 p.m.

Not  allowed <<<<<<<

6/2/18 1:45 p.m.

Not allowed <<<<<<<<<<<

6/2/18 1:46 p.m.

Z cars welcome

6/2/18 1:47 p.m.

British cars welcome

6/2/18 1:48 p.m.

Engine swaps no problem and recommended

6/2/18 1:49 p.m.

Previous entries get extra points bring beer

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 SuperDork
6/2/18 1:51 p.m.

Maybe I need to just bring my $400 beater DD Sentra.  I'm still under $1000 after doing a bunch of maintenance.  I might not even come in last! cheeky

6/2/18 2:11 p.m.

Mazda allways get the love and it answers the question !

6/2/18 2:21 p.m.

In reply to sethmeister4 :

Last is first in my opinion   1ST    Have participated and have a killer project you are proud of   2nd Podium I allways drink   extra beer HEARD THERE ARE TWO KEGS THIS Year  .....  hope Rumor is true  <<<<     3RD    Still on podium !   everyone that could not make it  !   Have to say if your home your LAST  .and laugh .

Indy-Barely Functional-Guy
Indy-Barely Functional-Guy UltraDork
6/2/18 2:42 p.m.
GTXVette said:

about a Month's wages for me.

An Event you Can't Afford to Miss!

I can budget those things over the next few months. I need to know the registration fee to budget that now.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/2/18 4:29 p.m.

In reply to Indy-Barely Functional-Guy :

Once you register with the site MotorsportsReg you will get to your answer and:

Registration:  $195

Includes entry of one car and one driver. Also includes one ticket for the BBQ dinner on Friday evening and one seat at the awards banquet

To clarify a little..

Competition schedule is expected to be Friday morning, autox, Friday evening, drags.

Saturday morning, car show and judging.

Your $195 feeds one person Friday a BBQ dinner served at the track about 5pm and also feeds you Saturday Evening at the Banquet and Awards Ceremony back at the hotel. In the past also includes Limited Edition Event T-shirt.

Additional meal tickets can be purchased separately. Price TBA but last year was $65-ish which includes Limited Edition Event T-shirt

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/2/18 4:36 p.m.

I’m in!

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
6/2/18 8:08 p.m.
Karl La Follette said:

Z cars welcome

That blazer looks pretty wild.

ErikTheSwede
ErikTheSwede New Reader
6/2/18 10:22 p.m.

If I buy a C6 corvette for $0 down and leave the temp tag on it for the event, that is within budget, right?

Indy-Barely Functional-Guy
Indy-Barely Functional-Guy UltraDork
6/3/18 12:16 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Thanks

6/3/18 2:06 p.m.

we are  signed up and In See everyone in G Ville

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
6/3/18 8:41 p.m.

I’m waiting so I don’t have to con someone into driving the general tire challenge for me again

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/3/18 9:01 p.m.

My plan so far is to get plates for my Challenge Car this week and use the Super Summit Event as a "shake down" to see what will break and what will need to be fixed in the 4 months remaining.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
6/3/18 9:51 p.m.
John Welsh said:

See you Friday.

Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
6/4/18 8:15 a.m.

In reply to Indy-Barely Functional-Guy :

Registration is $195 and that includes everything that John mentioned. Extra banquet tickets are $75. That $75 also includes the Friday night BBQ at the track.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/4/18 8:51 a.m.
Patrick said:

I on the other hand, missed how that worked last year and would like to give it a shot. Haven't seen any official mention of it yet though...

Greg Smith
Greg Smith HalfDork
6/4/18 12:37 p.m.

In reply to ErikTheSwede :

with 3-day "buyers remorse" return afterwards (need receipt)... hm. NO.

But great try!

Greg Smith
Greg Smith HalfDork
6/4/18 12:38 p.m.

I think I'm going to come with one son sans car and enjoy the weekend, $70 for what is close to an all access pass is pretty dang shiny.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/4/18 12:48 p.m.

In reply to Greg Smith :

I followed The Challenge since 1999 and always wanted to go.  I went the first year as Crew in 2012.  I've been back every time since; as Crew in 2013 and then campaigned my own after that.

Your greatest mistake is thinking that you can attend The Challenge as a "spectator".  Sure, you could but the reality is you will usually get hooked into a program and next thing you know you will have a hand in the event.  If keeping your hands clean is more your thing, get the best view of the autox from the perspective of shagging cones or some other helping activity.

Even if you are not the registered competitor, the registered and inspected cars can go down the strip in the hands of any driver.  Make an impact or your team and you might even get a drag pass or two out of it!  Autox runs are limited in number but drag passes are not!

Yes, $70 is a good deal to be part of a big thing!

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
6/4/18 2:16 p.m.

Signed up and ready to go! Except for having a car to run, but I'll be there.

6/4/18 2:41 p.m.
Andy Neuman said:

Signed up and ready to go! Except for having a car to run, but I'll be there.

Bring extra seatbelts

spin_out
spin_out HalfDork
6/5/18 11:22 a.m.

The information form still says $2017 on the top.  I plan to change mine to 2018 with a crayon ( If it's budget exempt).   :)

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/5/18 12:16 p.m.
AWSX1686 said:
Patrick said:

First 20 entrants get spots in the General Tire Challenge.  Or maybe it was 10, I don’t recall for sure now.

Greg Smith
Greg Smith HalfDork
6/6/18 5:52 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

I've been 3 times along with the SpitBird (2007/8 with Dave Herr, 2017 with Andrew Smith) and I'm sure I'll be helping out. "Spectator" merely means I won't be spending time under my own hood. More time to enjoy the event & see more, I think...

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/7/18 7:57 a.m.

Wagon class officially has another entry! Now about that build...

spin_out
spin_out HalfDork
6/15/18 7:59 a.m.

Registered.

The emailed receipt says  $2017  Challenge, but I assume I'm good.  :)

Xcjni1q4GT2n39eQEXez3PAmWt84k5AZk4w1PluIeWXuxF6deLYrfsJbfE9Mxlcm