How to Improve Track Position By Maximizing Pit Stops | Read Now With GRM+

Colin
By Colin Wood
Apr 14, 2021 | GRM+

Winning a race often comes down to more than just gaining and holding a leading position on the track. Sometimes, races can be won—and lost—in the pits.

Back in the May 2013 issue of Grassroots Motorsports, we observed the strategies that Team Sahlen used to minimize the time its car spent in pit lane during the 2013 Rolex 24, and explained how those tips can be applied to any racing outfit, big or small.

Read this article now—along with our entire digital archive—by getting GRM+ today. Besides having unlimited access to every past and present digital edition of the magazine, GRM+ members also get reduced advertisements on site, exclusive deals just for GRM+ members and a highlighted avatar with "GRM+ Member" added to their forum posts.

Join Free Join our community to easily find more GRM+ news.
Comments
Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
4/8/21 2:05 p.m.

Something super weird just happened. I opened that eight-year-old issue, and there was an article about a new version of the 370Z in it. It's amazing how some things stay the same while everything else changes.

4/8/21 3:18 p.m.

Time marches on. Except when it doesn't.

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
4/8/21 3:41 p.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

Isn't the tittle wrong?   I thought in racing the goal was to minimize time spent in the pit not  maximize?
   And as the Green flag drops all the racers head for the pits.
Perhaps a better tittle would be optimizing pit time.

4/8/21 4:06 p.m.

Good question. The editor in me likes both--as in, maximize efficiency of those pit stops. But I do like optimize, too, now that I think about it. Thanks!

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/8/21 5:58 p.m.

The older I get, the more important this is to me. I often ask if I need to do anything else when making a pit stop.

4/8/21 6:28 p.m.

In reply to captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

At my SCCA school, they stressed making a pitstop before getting in the car.

KL7mOXhoJ6e13PXJFqRBwSgP2vBOm4L8uInnJ1e385KAYHrahSxLhVxfIXbHeJDh