ICYMI: Meet the 2023 Nissan Z

Colin
By Colin Wood
Aug 19, 2021 | Nissan, Z-car

Photography Courtesy Nissan

Nissan finally unveiled the latest generation of its iconic Z-car last night, and yes, you can get it with a six-speed manual transmission.

Powering the new Z is the VR30DDT,: a 3.0-liter, twin-turbocharged V6 engine rated for 400 horsepower and 350 lb.-ft. of torque. It can be attached to either the previously mentioned six-speed manual or a nine-speed automatic transmission.

Two trims will be offered–Sport and Performance–alongside a limited-edition Proto Spec Z that features “exclusive yellow-colored brake calipers with Z logo, bronze-colored aluminum-alloy wheels, exclusive leather-appointed seats with yellow accents and yellow interior stitching throughout.” Nissan notes only 240 Proto Spec cars will be produced.

In the braking department, all versions will use ventilated discs on all four corners, with four-piston calipers up front and two pistons in the rear.

At the time of writing, Nissan has not revealed the weight of the car, but we do have these dimensions:

• Length: 172.4 in.
  • Width: 72.6 in.
  • Height: 51.8 in.
  • Wheelbase: 100.4 in.

Have any questions or want to see any specific photographs? Ask and we’ll see what we can dig out of the press kit for you.

Join Free Join our community to easily find more Nissan and Z-car news.
More like this
Comments
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
8/18/21 8:43 a.m.

Here's the video reveal from last night, too:

ChrisTropea
ChrisTropea Associate Editor
8/18/21 9:25 a.m.

I really like the looks of this car and I cant wait to see one in person.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/18/21 9:38 a.m.

This looks really promising. I really love the looks.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/18/21 9:41 a.m.

yeah, good job nissan (something I haven't thought in a while)!

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/18/21 9:42 a.m.

There is a boost gauge and a 7K redline on the dash of the car in the video

OldGray320i
OldGray320i Dork
8/18/21 9:43 a.m.

It's gonna scoot, and that motor says they're competing against the pony cars/Supra.

If they price it right, I think they'll sell a lot of them.

It's a good looking car.

My thought was it would have been nice to have a non-turbo version, but then they're competing against the Miata/86, and probably not enough of a market for a "3rd" car maker at that price point.   And/but, depending on pricing, they could steal some buyers from this segment with "wow, for just a few grand more...".

Feels like they're positioned to do really well with this car.

dps214
dps214 Dork
8/18/21 9:50 a.m.

I don't see myself actually owning one unless maybe something catastrophic happens to the cayman, but this is the first (hopefully) reasonably priced new release performance car that's seriously interested me. The yellow color combo was a bit weird, but it looks pretty good in blue and I'm not usually a fan of black wheels but it works pretty well here. Not sure I'm a fan of the blue interior though. I guess there's still a chance it could come out weighing 5000lbs, but for all the specs that have been released so far, it looks like there's no obvious deficiencies other than the performance trim having a bunch of extra comfort items piled on which is going to make it heavy and probably super expensive. If the weight is reasonable and nissan can get the price competitive with the supra, I don't see how this doesn't totally blow it out of the water.

racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
8/18/21 9:51 a.m.

I didn't see anything about price points, do we know anything yet?  As a former 240Z, 280ZX, and 370Z owner, I am definitely interested.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/18/21 9:54 a.m.
racerdave600 said:

Base starts "around $40k"

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
8/18/21 10:01 a.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

Pictures of the gauge cluster, plus a pic of the gauges mounted on the dash:

Interesting that both a boost gauge and a turbo speed gauge are offered.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/18/21 10:24 a.m.

I really don't understand the point of the turbine speed gauge. Other than "Ohhh look, it's spinning 200,000 rpms!"

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/18/21 10:29 a.m.
z31maniac said:

Look how good I can left foot brake!

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/18/21 10:30 a.m.

but then again, aren't there 2 turbos? what the heck is that gauge showing??

350z247
350z247 Reader
8/18/21 10:38 a.m.

I'm not seeing a whole lot to lead someone to buy this over a lightly used GT350, especially once the ridiculous dealer mark-up hits.

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
8/18/21 10:47 a.m.

In reply to 350z247 :

Or a brand new Camaro 1LT for at least $5k less than the base.  And isn’t the Mach 1 Mustang less than $40k too?

itsarebuild
itsarebuild GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/18/21 10:53 a.m.

I like it. I'm probably not in the market for a coupe of any sort, but if it was I would put it ahead of the Supra, mustang and camaro. It looks like that was the intended competition so kudos.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/18/21 11:05 a.m.
350z247 said:

1. Only idiots pay ADM. Fly and drive, or wait. The 949 Racing guys flew out to OKC to purchase their GT350s and drive them back to LA.

2. The GT350s are much more hardcore and need a quart of oil everytime you need to put gas in them. Not really the same market.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
8/18/21 11:19 a.m.

I have this idea that this car will look awesome in white and a bit ho-hum in red.  Which is not my usual thing.

Wonder if there's a sunroof in the options list somewhere.

Wish I could somehow rationalize buying a car like this.

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
8/18/21 11:40 a.m.
z31maniac said:

Because it's cool, and if it goes too high, kaboom!!

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
8/18/21 12:00 p.m.

In reply to Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) :

Agreed.

I was today years old when I realized I want a turbine speed gauge.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/18/21 12:04 p.m.
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) said:
z31maniac said:

Because it's cool, and if it goes too high, kaboom!!

Coming from the company that sold cars with ceramic turbos that would explode if spun much higher than stock boost levels....  Sure!

I am assuming that the gauge is a calculated figure.

Turbo_Rev
Turbo_Rev New Reader
8/18/21 12:41 p.m.

If they were trying to emulate the 240Z, they missed an opportunity.

Datsun Z and ZX - Altec Products Inc.

STM317
STM317 UberDork
8/18/21 12:58 p.m.

I've been looking at the gauge cluster for several minutes, and cannot make any sense of the "8 miles", "27 miles", and the fuel gauge

I'm assuming the "8 miles" is the trip odometer? If they're indicating 27 miles of range remaining at just under 1/4 tank that would mean the car needs to be filled up (presumably with Premium unleaded) every 130 miles or so? The 370 z that this thing is derived from has a 19 gal capacity, so that doesn't seem right. That would be like 5 mpg. In the previous picture, it shows 27 miles of range with over 3/4 tank remaining too which is even more wrong.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/18/21 1:03 p.m.

In reply to STM317 :

Cars that have spent most of their life idling will have very low projected fuel economy, and the range is usually based on the average from the previous X miles.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/18/21 1:30 p.m.
racerfink said:

In reply to 350z247 :

And isn’t the Mach 1 Mustang less than $40k too?

I wish. It starts at $54k.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/18/21 1:42 p.m.

Remember that a 1970 V8 Camaro retailed for $2839 and a 1970 240Z retailed for $3526. They are different cars. They cost different things. granted, the Camaro sold more in 1970, but most of us would have a tough time deciding today which we would like in the garage.

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
8/18/21 1:49 p.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) :

Ah...  had my Mustang trims backwards.   The GT is the LT1 equal, while the Mach 1 replaced the GT350.

racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
8/18/21 2:10 p.m.

I sold my S197 Shelby for a 370Z.  The 370 was better in every respect, except big smokey burnouts, and there is only so many of those you can do.  Definitely different cars for different people.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
8/18/21 2:48 p.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

Wait, you're saying a V8 Camaro in 1970 could be had for less than $20,000 in today's money? To get into a new 2021 V8 Camaro, you'll have to shell out over $35,000.

I kind of know why cars are so expensive nowadays, but why are cars so expensive nowadays?

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
8/18/21 3:34 p.m.
z31maniac said:

1. Only idiots pay ADM. Fly and drive, or wait.

Look at Civic Type R pricing.  Maybe cause of today's craziness but 2-3 year old ones are close to or over sticker.   Weird times right now.

frsh2fourty
frsh2fourty New Reader
8/18/21 3:39 p.m.

In reply to dps214 :

I saw a pretty official looking preliminary dealer spec sheet on instagram earlier. It didn't really have any details various sites haven't already outlined other than maybe the interior/exterior dimensions. It was missing weight which is kind of worries me because if it was an amount worth mentioning I'm sure they would have included it in the release. That being said, I'd be surprised if it was anything north of 35-3600lbs just based on the 370z. It only outlined base and performance trims which leaves me wondering if a NISMO version is planned and if it will be some kind of stripped down version of the performance trim that gets everything but the unnecessary weight adding options.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/18/21 3:45 p.m.

In reply to Colin Wood : "I kind of know why cars are so expensive nowadays, but why are cars so expensive nowadays?"

Because they're faster, safer, more economical, are more reliable and offer more amenities. About the only things that old cars do better is they are cheaper to buy, easier to work on and they foster nostalgic feelings. (says a guy who loves old cars)

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/18/21 3:47 p.m.
Turbo_Rev said:

If they were trying to emulate the 240Z, they missed an opportunity.

Datsun Z and ZX - Altec Products Inc.

If you were trying to post a picture of a 240z, you missed an opportunity. ;)

Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

but then again, aren't there 2 turbos? what the heck is that gauge showing??

It's a v6 twin turbo so the turbo speed should be the same in each turbo . How fast the turbo is spinning is helpful to know where youre at in a compressor map theoretically.  If it's not just programmed like a dummy gauge based on parameters then it could be helpful later down the road with aftermarket tuning I suppose.

Colin Wood

2x0Z.cheeky

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/18/21 4:01 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:
z31maniac said:

1. Only idiots pay ADM. Fly and drive, or wait.

Because fanbois would buy them regardless of ADM. I think that's stupid.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
8/18/21 4:28 p.m.

My heart is trying to tell me a trailer hitch could make one of these extremely versatile and in no way would I end up missing having a small five-door hatchback as my only car.  I probably ate something that I shouldn't have.

Patientzero
Patientzero Dork
8/18/21 4:32 p.m.

I hate the front end but the rest of the car looks really good.  The hard edge straight lines on the front don't match anything else on the car.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
8/18/21 4:41 p.m.

Jay got one to review already?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/18/21 4:48 p.m.
Colin Wood said:

In reply to tuna55 :

Wouldn't minimum wage from back then be in the neighborhood of $17-18/hr today?

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/18/21 6:40 p.m.
Colin Wood said:

In reply to tuna55 :

In 1970, 98% of the materials in that car were made  in America by an American. 2021 Camaros drop to 75% ish US made? Add in shipping, supply chain logistics,tariffs, etc etc and a made in America* car gets more expensive.

*with domestic and globally sourced parts!

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/18/21 9:11 p.m.

In reply to crankwalk (Forum Supporter) :

It was even more localized than that, IIRC Camaros were being made in three different factories, depending on what part of the country it was intended for.

mdshaw
mdshaw GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/19/21 4:48 a.m.

The turbo speed gauge is a great idea. Especially for prior non-turbo owners. It's to show the turbo speed so one can wait for it to slow down prior to shutting it down. It's probably the #1 turbo killer- aggressive driving up to a stop & fast shut down. Turbo is at 200k & no oil.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/19/21 7:32 a.m.
mdshaw said:

This isn't 1985 where turbos aren't water cooled. That's what killed them is shutting them off hot and the oil coking in the housing. Which is why you saw the advent of "turbo timers" in the 90s. Giving the car 4-5 minutes of run time with oil still circulating to help cool off the turbo.

dps214
dps214 Dork
8/19/21 8:05 a.m.
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) said:
Colin Wood said:

In reply to tuna55 :

*with domestic and globally sourced parts!

I'm confused what you're saying here. It's not like they outsourced the parts just for fun...it's because it's cheaper.

Also that (juuuust barely) sub $20k 1970 Camaro had a whopping 200hp and absolutely zero equipment beyond a drivetrain, four tires, and a suspension(barely). The current four cylinder Camaro is $25k and makes 275hp and comes standard with things like power steering and power brakes, among other things everyone expects to get now but were options in 1970.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
8/19/21 9:19 a.m.

When considering the 2023 Nissan Z, one should first think about the relative cost of the 1970 Camaro when adjusted for inflation, but only as a comparison point when thinking about the Nissan Z.

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
8/19/21 9:48 a.m.

Great job on the cosmetic design, just modern enough and just enough nods to prior generations.  It will be interesting to see how they perform on the track.  IMO they need to get three things right to have a class-killer:

- adequate cooling for 30 minute sessions on hot days

- light enough to compete with the Cayman/Supra at around 10lb/hp

- enough suspension adjustment from the factory to get appropriate camber

Definitely has my interest.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/19/21 10:03 a.m.
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) said:

- adequate cooling for 30 minute sessions on hot days

- light enough to compete with the Cayman/Supra at around 10lb/hp

- enough suspension adjustment from the factory to get appropriate camber

Definitely has my interest.

It will do much better than 10lb/hp unless it's approaching 4,000 lbs. Since it's confirmed to have 400 hp.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/19/21 11:22 a.m.
mdshaw said:

If the turbo is spinning fast, it is making boost.  Or surging, because it is alternately making boost and stalling for flow.  You aren't shutting the engine off with the turbo at more than its idle speed, unless you rev the engine up first with heavy throttle application.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/19/21 11:25 a.m.

What is that big gap under the front grill?  Factory space for a FMIC?

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
8/19/21 11:39 a.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

Jay got one to review already?

He was given the car on June 12th.

due to embargo couldnt release.

i love the blue/blue. Reminds me of the 04+ NSX where you could get yellow/yellow

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/19/21 12:22 p.m.
noddaz said:

What is that big gap under the front grill?  Factory space for a FMIC?

It's for the auto cruise, braking, etc.

The car should have water-to-air heat exchangers like the Infiniti.

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
8/19/21 12:35 p.m.

The Z's styling is a mixed bag.

Personally, I think the new Mustangs warrant a more a positive response to me, at least in styling.

The Z's rear is cool. Clean. I like that it harkens back to previous models.

The headlights and front facia are just "meh".

I liked the more rounded, or recessed renders that others did:

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/19/21 2:12 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

Reminds me of.....a 1970 240z.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
9/9/21 10:50 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

Jay got one to review already?

He has a video on YouTube now as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhJa5eELmjg  No driving, but a good walk-around.  I think it's a really nice looking car, and it's refreshing to see an interior that's an actual color instead of black or mouse fur gray.

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
9/10/21 10:35 a.m.

I am a huge fan of the back end and the overall shape...but the front gets a big old meh. I don't like the big blank spaces below the headlights, and the attempt and emulating round headlights with the DRLs ends up looking awkward. Getting rid of the DRLs/blacking them out internally would get rid of the attempted round look and looks way better to me.

I actually quite like the interior. They've actually tried to integrate the screens unobtrusively instead of a design that says "look at me there's a 12" TV sticking out of my dashboard!"

Overall...it's good enough that when they hit dealers I will have to take a look. Which is something I can't say I've done in a long time (last one was the BRZ).

DRLs off... better

No doubt there will be body kits that come along to restyle the front bumper, or maybe a front spoiler like this. Anything to break up that space a little, as long as they don't do silly LED strips like the 370Z/GTR have. The darker colors look better on the front, but man I really like that yellow green color.

Or a slant nose kit - I've always been a fan of lights below the waistline look, ever since I saw my first Porsche 944 Turbo, and a 928 at a car show that had the pop up main headlights deleted.

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
9/10/21 11:13 a.m.

Sigh....

I loved the original 240Z, but Nissan has never managed to hit the same sort of styling peak since - the cars have always looked blocky and somehow lumpish to me.

This on is a step in the right direction, but they managed to incorporate another of my 'don't likes' - the black roof on an otherwise non-black car.  Hated that on the early NSX and welcomed Honda's move to an all one colour scheme for those cars. In fact I disliked it so much that I wouldn't have bought an NSX in anything but black until they became available all in the same colour.

The output, trans and everything else looks just fine, but I wouldn't be a potential customer with the current styling/colouring.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
9/10/21 11:24 a.m.

In reply to wspohn :

All due respect but come on, the thing holding you back is the black roof?  "Everything else looks just fine" like there's a whole lot of options in this area of the market?  I'm calling shenanigans.

350z247
350z247 Reader
9/13/21 8:09 a.m.

In reply to pres589 (djronnebaum) :

Agreed, what a whiney and worthless complaint. It changes nothing and would be super easy to remedy with vinyl and even paint considering how small an area it is.

UaVHWXvKkeni95xcTs7kWVQ8V1j2NsSEIwhLWXRgQbEebj6DSYIQgUFIhWQok1RE