Like old school imports? We do, too.

Colin
By Colin Wood
Jun 30, 2022 | Porsche, 911, Porsche 911, Ace Cafe, Car Meet

Photography by David S. Wallens

Last night we took our 1984 Porsche 911 Carrera to the Legends Classic Import Night at Ace Café Orlando. The requirement for entry? Nothing built after 1999.

Here are more than 30 photos of all the rad cars we saw. Which one(s) is your favorite?

Join Free Join our community to easily find more Porsche, 911, Porsche 911, Ace Cafe and Car Meet news.
Comments
fatallightning
fatallightning Reader
6/29/22 1:20 p.m.

That Evo Wagon does something for me, althought to be pednatic, I don't think thats older than 99. What kit is on that MKIV Supra with the 6 projectors? Wild.

6/29/22 1:29 p.m.

In reply to fatallightning :

Veilside.

And when it rolled in, it almost looked like a modded SN95 Mustang–something about the rear window shape.

FWIW, the Evo wagon showed up late. I think they let in a few post-2000 cars but not many. Like, the new Supras were in the general lot.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
6/29/22 6:58 p.m.

E46 BMW is post 99 as well, but I would let it in just for the color.

6/29/22 7:35 p.m.
TurnerX19 said:

E46 BMW is post 99 as well, but I would let it in just for the color.

Maybe it was 2000 production? It showed up late. This was my first time there. A few later cars came after dark, but the mix was very cool. I'd go back. More JDM cars than expected.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
6/29/22 7:58 p.m.

Those old Corolla's with the wheel flairs are really cool.  Read up on a guy named Big Mike Muniz and his Corollas.

6/29/22 8:29 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

Mangos!

ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter)
ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) Dork
6/29/22 11:19 p.m.

Thabks for sharing, lots of cool cars! For me the white Corolla TE27 mango, hands down favorite!

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
6/29/22 11:34 p.m.

I spotted a Datsun 1200 above, but don't remember seeing a parachute ever hanging out the back of mine.

infinitenexus
infinitenexus Dork
6/30/22 5:47 a.m.

Of course I like old school imports, I spent my teenage years playing Gran Turismo 2!

Pokitren
Pokitren New Reader
6/30/22 6:15 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:
TurnerX19 said:

E46 BMW is post 99 as well, but I would let it in just for the color.

Those who didn't get in, have to look at the pictures. But even the pictures are impressive!

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/30/22 6:55 a.m.

Rare, but I want a JDM Mercedes w201, w124, and w140. They came with crazy options that only Japanese execs liked to have in their car. And almost always ordered in black on black on black.

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Dork
6/30/22 8:34 a.m.

Old Corollas get me everytime

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
6/30/22 10:17 a.m.

Where are the old school cars?  No wire wheels. No cut away doors, not even a hole in the bumper for the starting handle.

iansane
iansane Dork
6/30/22 10:28 a.m.

There's a show like that near me; The Old School Reunion. Only JDM and euro imports I think just this year or last year they bumped it up from pre88 to pre95. Lot's of cool, weird cars. And tons of custom rides. It's a refreshing look at the bargain side of car modifying.

6/30/22 11:20 a.m.

In reply to Pokitren :

Thanks and it was a fun evening. Cool crowd, too. I hope to make it back.

aw614
aw614 Reader
6/30/22 2:33 p.m.

So about those with 00-01 Integras, can they get in? since they are mostly identical to their 94-00 counterparts lol

I've wanted to go to one of these since they look like fun and I've enjoyed other daytime meets at Ace Cafe, but the thought of driving I4 during an evening rushhour from Tampa has stopped me

6/30/22 2:39 p.m.

In reply to aw614 :

I take the new express lanes. Yes, it costs me a buck for the toll, but I get to skip the traffic–totally worth it. Coming from the east, I just get off I-4 at Ivanhoe Blvd. Not sure how it is coming from Tampa, but maybe it's worth a look.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
6/30/22 3:09 p.m.

So we like J-tin?  Camp outside the JCC Show in Long Beach early and catch the cars coming in.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
6/30/22 3:11 p.m.

You guys want to see more Toyota Corolla's?

Oh wait, is this a Datsun B210 and not a Corolla?

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
6/30/22 3:13 p.m.

okay, okay, I will quit richarding around and give you the Corollas.

6/30/22 3:59 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

I went to JCCS a few years ago and need to get back. It is way, way cool.

It is cool seeing all these cars in our backyard. Sadly, more than a few cars we owned and no longer do....

I might bring the Miata next time. We'll see.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
6/30/22 4:47 p.m.

I was looking through the pictures on Colin's first post and getting ready to be disappointed with just how new most of the cars were, and the fact that there were no old school rotaries.  Then I saw the blue RX-3.  Whew.  Thank you!

Makes me want an RX-2 again, but of course it wouldn't be the same, and certainly not worth the money it would take to acquire a decent one.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
6/30/22 4:49 p.m.
frenchyd said:

LOL.  Thank you!  I tried to vote up your post, but the young whippersnappers that run this site wouldn't let me!  So I'll give it the recognition it deserves by quoting it.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/30/22 9:11 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:
frenchyd said:

So when will the cars that we like that are older than us be allowed to be called oldschool? Please let us know, o knowledgeable gatekeeper!

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/1/22 7:47 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

I had to think really long and hard about your statement.
  In the end you are right and I am right.
When I attended my first vintage sports car race back in 1975. My MGTD was barely acceptable. My buddies MGTF wasn't. ( too modern they said)

Most of the cars were pre WW2 with a tiny handful of 40's and very early 50's.  When we formed  our own Vintage club (VSCRI)  a year later we went all the way to 1962. ( but not the 1961-1962 XKE ).
    So vintage racing was more than 20 years old in the mid 70's.  Historic racing was 15 years old by the 80's.
Today  A 6 year old car can race in group 12.
   So if you newbies want to call stuff from the 80's &90's old school Who am I to contradict you?

In reply to frenchyd :

From my perspective, the key to this post being right in my mind has to do with the label "imports" first and foremost, and the label "old-school" is describing the imports. Mind you, I'm 45, and just because I think it is right doesn't mean that it is for everyone. For me, and I think many others roughly my age when we start to get pedantic, "imports" in the most specific form refers to affordable, sporty 70's-90's imported cars that are tuned/dressed-up and enthusiast-owned. Most of them are Japanese, but also some German, Korean, etc. Most are powered by fours, but also some rotaries and sixes. Most are hatchbacks or coupes, but also some sedans and wagons. This terminology really solidified in the 90's with import car meets, import drag racing, import car magazines, import car shows, import car enthusiasts, and an entire scene described as imports. The appeal was an affordable car the everyman could buy just about anywhere, customize, and find like-minded people to hang out with.

What were non-American cars and the scene surrounding them called in the 60's? From what my dad tells me when he recalls the old days, "sports cars" was the most frequent descriptor. It seems like many of them were British, but also some German, Italian, etc. It sounds like they were fairly rare compared to imported cars a few decades later, and a stark contrast to both the everyday American cars of the time, and the hot rod, circle track, and drag racing scenes of the era. The emphasis seemed to be on road racing, TSD rallying, and tours. I wasn't there, so what I presume to know is based on stories.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/1/22 8:47 p.m.

In reply to ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) :

Yeh by the late 60's early 70's even the sports car crowd argued about was it a sports car or a Gran Turismo?
  The OTS  Jaguar XK120/140/150 were considered Sports Cars while the Jaguar  XKE  was a Gran  Turismo.  Only  a tiny handful considered the OTS ( open Top Sports) a real Sports Car and only because they had wire wheels.
      Nothing with a V8 was a sports car to us purists. Only the Ferrari California  was  potentially a sports car, again because of the convertible and wire wheels. We kinda politely overlook the V12.
      I still hassle my buddy with his MGTF  because it doesn't have proper Headlights and the radiator doesn't stand up straight the way God and her  Majesty intended a radiator to be.  ( then he goes out and beats me on the race track).  I get no respect.

In reply to frenchyd :

laugh Funny how what looks "right" really depends upon the perspective of the viewer! Out of curiosity, I'm now wondering what was the last (most recently available new) open top, wire-wheel-equipped two-seater? I'm gonna go with Morgan as a wild-ass guess.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/1/22 8:58 p.m.

In reply to ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) :

And it came with a "Buick"  V8!  But I think you can still order a new one with a BMW engine and wire wheels.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
7/1/22 10:03 p.m.

1985 is closer to 1950 then today. 1998 is over 25 years ago. A 1999 Integra Type R is about equivalent to your MG TD in 1975.

ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter)
ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) Dork
7/1/22 10:20 p.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic :

Uhh...2022-1998=24. Just sayin...

7/1/22 11:11 p.m.

This feels like one of those arguments about whether someone's punk enough.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
7/1/22 11:13 p.m.

In reply to ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) :

Math after drinks isn't good.

ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter)
ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) Dork
7/2/22 12:00 a.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic :

laugh No worries; close enough! Cheers!

te72
te72 Reader
7/3/22 11:06 p.m.

I'm a fan of old school Corollas, in case the user name didn't give it away. =P

This is my friend Kurt's 6M powered 1980 Corolla, it's pretty quick:

Has had some development since, focusing on 1/8 mile racing as far as I recall.

oldeskewltoy