Thanksgiving Week: Grassroots Motorsports to Host Virtual Racing Series

J.G.
By J.G. Pasterjak
Nov 26, 2020 | iRacing

We know that the universe has thrown a monkey wrench into the holidays this year, so we have a little diversion planned for Turkey Day week. Call it a way to blow off a little steam, and you get to help us with some future editorial–and maybe get your virtual race car in the magazine at the same time.

We're working on a story that compares famous tracks against their virtual counterparts. Pro drivers who have experienced both versions will discuss just how well the real experience translates to pixels while also providing some tips for the virtual versions.

But here’s the catch: We need to “shoot photos” for this story, and the best way to do that is to stage races at the virtual tracks. This is where you get to join us.

Look for us almost every night this week at 10 p.m. Eastern in the iRacing “Hosted Races” section. Look for a server starting with “Grassroots Motorsports” followed by that evening’s track name. Use the password “racegrm.”

Different nights will have different entry limits–40 to 60–and registration will be first come, first serve.

Sessions will run one to two hours total, and will include practice, qualifying and single or multiple races depending on format. Setups will be locked for all cars in all races to keep things simple.

Monday, November 23: We’ll kick off the week with the virtual version of our actual hometown track–Daytona International Speedway–with a traditional practice, qualifying and race for up to 60 GT3 cars.

Tuesday, November 24: Forty Skip Barber Formula 2000s hit Suzuka for a unique format that sees a qualifier, a quick heat race that inverts the top 8 from qualifying, then a longer main feature race gridded by heat results.

Wednesday, November 25: Time for straight-up GTE cars taking on the unforgiving Mount Panorama circuit.

Thursday, November 26: We’ll take time out for turkey and family Zoom meetings.

Friday, November 27: We’ll spend Black Friday at the Green Hell with as many Global MX-5 Cup cars as iRacing will allow on the Nurburgring 24-hour course.

We’ll record each race, then flip through after the competition to take individual screen caps to use as photos for the stories. So, we want to see amazing liveries and gorgeous cars engaged in exciting action. Feel free to plug your business–or share your holiday greetings or dip recipes.

Throw on an old-school motorsports tribute. Emulate your own real car. Plug your brother in law’s furniture storage and cleaning service. Whatever. Just make it visually interesting.

Of course, not everyone will make the stories, but good-looking cars involved in exciting moments will certainly catch our eye. And while they aren’t required, cars with Grassroots Motorsports decals may be looked at even closer.

To get your car decorated, we recommend visiting our friends at Trading Paints. You’ll find thousands of customizable liveries for your car in their database. And our friend Scott R. Lear was even kind to whip up several ready-to-roll GRM liveries for some of the cars eligible for this week’s action. They’re all available  here.

If you’d just like some GRM decals, we’ve thrown a few in a Dropbox folder

And, best of all, there are prizes. We’ll pick two lucky finishers at random each night (you must take the checker, so no getting discouraged and rage-quitting after you have a 12-minute tow) and send them $20 credit each toward anything in the GRM online store. Yes, that will include all of our awesome discount deals as well. Thanks for the help, and we look forward to seeing you on track this week.

Helpful Details:

Look for the “Grassroots Motorsports [track name] servers under iRacing’s hosted races section. Password for all sessions will be “racegrm”. All sessions will run with fixed setups.

Monday, November 23, 10 p.m. Eastern: GT3 cars at Daytona. 60-car cap, 15-minute practice, 15-minute open qualifying, 30-minute race.

Tuesday, November 24, 10 p.m. Eastern: Skip Barber Formula 2000 at Suzuka. Porsche eSports Supercup heat format. 40-car limit, 18-minute practice, 3-lap qualifying, 15-minute heat race with top 8 inverted, 10-minute warmup, 30-minute feature with no inverts.

Wednesday, November 25, 10 p.m. Eastern: GTE cars at Mt. Panorama. 60-car cap, 20-minute practice, 3-lap single car qualifying, 30-minute race.

Friday, November 27, 10 p.m. Eastern: 60-car cap. Global MX-5 Cup at the Nurburgring 24-hour configuration, 30-minute open qualifying. 4-lap race.

Voice communication will be available via in-game voice for race announcements and official matters, or via our Discord server for general chat. Use this invitation link to access the GRM iRacing Discord.

Join Free Join our community to easily find more iRacing news.
Comments
spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/23/20 12:45 p.m.

Sweet! in to have fun in the back of the pack.

we run MX-5's on the ring in the Wednesday night league I got invited to by TXRatti so looking forward to that especially.

Pulled in TXRatti as well

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/23/20 1:36 p.m.

How do I join in with a PS2? laugh

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/23/20 1:53 p.m.

Dang that could be lots of fun.  I have a PC more than capable set up with another PC racing game on it.  The real question is can some one that has never done I racing join in and get in to the GRM races or is there a experience/safety level that is required before we can join?  Also what does IRacing cost these days?

The GTE cars at Mt. Panorama is the race that I would love to join in.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/23/20 1:56 p.m.

As a side bar are you going to discuss in your upcoming story the opportunity that virtual racing gives to drive tracks that are no longer here?

In the other game I play on PC they have a user made Bridgehampton track and it is VERY good.  I was lucky enough to have driven the real thing but with it gone the only way I can share the experience with people is virtually.

red_stapler
red_stapler SuperDork
11/23/20 2:09 p.m.
dean1484 said:

Also what does IRacing cost these days?

If you are or know a SCCA member, the welcome packet should have a code good for 3 months subscription.

Roughly $10 a month + the (optional) cost of additional cars & tracks.  Memberships go on 25% off sale once a year for Black Friday.  They offer volume discounts when you purchase multiple cars + tracks together.

To participate in the GTE race at Mt. Panorama expect to pay $12 for a GTE car and $15 for the track.

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
11/23/20 2:11 p.m.

Oh heck, I'm gonna have to show up for some of these.

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/23/20 2:30 p.m.
red_stapler said:
dean1484 said:

Also what does IRacing cost these days?

you can also get 50% off of any membership lenth you buy when you first join, so if you buy in all the way early, you can get 2 years for $100.

BUT that is a large commitment upfront. but just figured it was worth mentioning.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
11/23/20 2:54 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

How do I join in with a PS2? laugh

BA

abenagh
abenagh
11/23/20 5:00 p.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

Thanks for putting these together! For anyone who cant race themselves I will be streaming my POV on my twitch channel https://www.twitch.tv/crashdor_maldanardo for the Races on Monday and Friday!

jhhyde
jhhyde
11/23/20 6:27 p.m.

Hey GRM team, great idea! Don't forget on the ring, if you're going to allow custom paint jobs from creators that you'll need to have our .tga files for your screenshot team (if you're taking the photos.) Maybe we can email/dropbox them to you?

tbear2500
tbear2500
11/23/20 6:30 p.m.

I'll try to livestream if I make it on tonight, but my computer might not be able to encode video and run iRacing at the same time. twitch.tv/tbear2500. Hope to see y'all on track!

james Kepford
james Kepford New Reader
11/23/20 8:59 p.m.

Well not going to make it tonight, but might try on Tuesday. Skippy been my favorite car since well it was the only car we had in early testing.  :)

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
11/23/20 10:19 p.m.

Whew, that was fun. I had a couple small mistakes early on, but overall mostly kept it on track. Then I realized we didn't have enough fuel to make it all the way and that threw me off for several laps while I tried to do math and drive at the same time laugh

I started right behind you JG, but I didn't see what happened to you in the first turn. I was taking it easy and just trying to squeeze through the carnage.

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/23/20 10:32 p.m.

I was as bad as i expected to be... and after what happened to me on lap 3 getting pinched after pit out.. i just stopped chasing a super fast lap because the leaders were on me fast and i just was trying to be out of the way.. but it was a TON a fun.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
11/23/20 11:05 p.m.
slowbird said:

I did not squeeze through the carnage. Right about the time I was halfway through T1 thinking "wow this is surprisingly clean so far" someone popped over the curb inside T2 and started the party. Someone got into me trying to avoid trouble on their left and we both stayed on track but just about came to a full stop.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
11/23/20 11:08 p.m.

A few highlights.

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
11/23/20 11:33 p.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

Ah, yep. I just went back and watched the replay. I was almost completely stopped behind that mess and then I just slipped through there with cars going every which way.

Cold tires were really sketchy, and then late in the race, hot greasy tires were also pretty sketchy. laugh

TXratti
TXratti Reader
11/23/20 11:49 p.m.

Well that was a helluva good time! Chaos at the start, oh my.

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/24/20 9:15 a.m.
TXratti said:

Chaos at the start, oh my.

SO MUCH MAYHEM

abenagh
abenagh New Reader
11/24/20 10:35 a.m.

In reply to TXratti :

I had a pretty good view of the chaos. Allowed me to pass 20 cars!  https://clips.twitch.tv/EncouragingTrustworthyCougarFreakinStinkin

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
11/24/20 11:29 a.m.

Race is set up for tonight. 10pm eastern (don't panic if it isn't there right at 10. The races usually pop up on the server about a minute after clock time)

Grassroots Motorsports Suzuka

Skip Barber Formula 2000 on Suzuka GP layout.

Password: racegrm

Porsche eSports Supercup format. Practice > 3 lap single car qualifying > 15 minute heat race with top 8 inverted > 10 minute warmup > 30 minute feature race with no inverts.

Apologies in advance to folks who won't make it in. We had a good crowd last night and this format only allows 40 cars. If the demand stays high I guess we'll just have to do this more often.

11/24/20 1:27 p.m.

So, who won last night?

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
11/24/20 2:26 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

So, who won last night?

The real winner was all of us.

But mostly Austin Cobb.

james Kepford
james Kepford New Reader
11/24/20 10:49 p.m.

That was lots of fun tonight, thanks for hosting it.  :)

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/24/20 11:10 p.m.

Got my replay settings corrected and captured the hilarious Heat race start from tonight.

Jesse Ransom (FFS)
Jesse Ransom (FFS) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/25/20 12:21 a.m.

Almost regretting that this chunk of quarantine fun budget went into 3D printing instead of getting the sim pulled together. I suppose I didn't really have time to get up to speed and not be a menace for this anyhow...

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/25/20 6:50 a.m.

So has GRM thought of approaching Iracing about some sort of GRM deal?  Like if you purchase a year of Iracing you get the tracks and cars that GRM is using for free?

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/25/20 9:05 a.m.
dean1484 said:

Hahaha, while I wish there was a way in hell that would be possible.... iRacing has their racket and they know it..

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
11/25/20 8:42 p.m.
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) said:
dean1484 said:

Yeah. This.

While we're very friendly with iRacing, they're also having their best marketing done by nature at the moment. We can't compete with that and hold no grudges for them riding the wave. Maybe at some point we'll be able to offer some partner deals, but for now iRacing and World of Warcraft get my money every month just like the power company.

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
11/25/20 10:27 p.m.

My new claim to fame is that I was slow enough to be in Tom O'Gorman's way in practice. I blame cold tires. laugh

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/26/20 12:46 a.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

In less than 60 days iRacing has managed to make me part with nearly $300. And my only thought is to what am I going to need to buy next to get my fix for the next series I haven't run yet in the other cars I haven't driven yet.

--Insert Dave chappelle drug addict meme--

*Scratches neck*

Y'all got any more of that iRacing?

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
11/26/20 11:00 a.m.

Also, it was mid-practice when I realized that even with a fixed setup, that I could adjust the brake bias. Not sure when iRacing changed that, but it's very good. laugh

adam525i (Forum Supporter)
adam525i (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/26/20 11:07 a.m.

In reply to slowbird :

I'm pretty sure you can change traction control/ABS settings as well if you have buttons mapped to them and if those settings are adjustable by the driver in real life.

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/26/20 12:01 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

i mapped it, but couldn't seem to get anything to change in the corvette.. so I was struggling with rear lockup the whole night.

red_stapler
red_stapler SuperDork
11/27/20 2:02 p.m.
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to slowbird :

There's a black box for in-car adjustments (F8) that will show the current brake bias and it should change if adjustible.  Brake Bias on the C8r is expressed as a % on the bottom left of the car's dashboard (above map and mixture) as well.

11/27/20 6:00 p.m.

Tonight's the last night in the series, so go get 'em, team.

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
11/27/20 10:37 p.m.

I'm sweating after that one, and not just because my rig is right next to a heat vent, lol.

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/27/20 11:04 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

me too, i had a few mistakes, but a lot of the issues I had was getting caught up in other peoples accident aftermath.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
11/27/20 11:19 p.m.
slowbird said:

See, I'm pretty chill at Nurburgring once the race starts. Qualifying is nerve-wracking because there's a zillion places to get 0xed and you'll  lose 10 minutes of your life, but the races flow nicely.

Bathurst on the other hand... I love that track, but every lap is like a thousand lifetimes. You have to put the car in so many situations where things are just out of your hands on every lap. There' probbly a good 15 seconds each lap where you're basically just a passenger, watching to see if your most recent decision was the correct one.

red_stapler
red_stapler SuperDork
11/28/20 8:44 a.m.

That was a good one.  I feel like I punched way above my weight considering the real life experience of the drivers around me.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
11/28/20 12:10 p.m.

And based on the enthusiasm fom this series, I think we'll most likely do something similar again at Christmas time. Maybe a few events the week between Christmas and New Years? Maybe a broadcast? If there's interest and a viable case to be made that it makes editorial/marketing/promotional sense, I'll pursue it.

11/28/20 12:24 p.m.

Color me interested in watching. (Need an announcer?)

tbear2500
tbear2500 New Reader
11/29/20 4:48 p.m.

Thanks for hosting, I had a great time. Here's one of my highlights (or lowlights, I suppose). https://youtu.be/39GcnKKrfBc

11/29/20 5:12 p.m.

In reply to tbear2500 :

We've all been there. Still looked fun. Thanks again, JG, for hosting.

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
11/29/20 5:28 p.m.

Heck yeah I'll do the Christmas ones. I might even do some practice next time! laugh

TXratti
TXratti Reader
11/30/20 2:11 p.m.

Was a fun time! Had a blast learning a bunch of new tracks and cars.

red_stapler
red_stapler SuperDork
11/30/20 9:11 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

I think a "vintage race" format would be fun with some of the back catalog of iRacing cars.  You could do a race with the GTP-ZX, HPD ARX, Riley DP, Corvette DP, etc.  Another race could be formula cars with the Formula Mazda, older Indycars, Williams F1, etc.  The GT race could be the Audi 90, the NC Miata, Ford GT GT2, C6 Corvette, etc.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
11/30/20 9:49 p.m.
red_stapler said:
JG Pasterjak said:

I like this a lot.

In related news, iRacing REALLY needs a tube-frame GT car.

2fnwjjwYKIzyp2qxvIeAfuWX9rZxvLWB6oGoLNhA9BxpVntRDJsUzZNtnkzlpotc