Toyota GR GT3 Concept now in “development”

J.A.
By J.A. Ackley
Jun 18, 2022 | Toyota, Gazoo Racing, GT3 Concept

Photography Courtesy Toyota

Toyota continues to tease its GR GT3 concept. At a Lexus press conference revealing its 2023 cars on May 31, Koji Sato, President of both Lexus and Toyota Gazoo Racing, also talked about the latter. In his presentation, he made a brief mention of the GT3 concept:

I’m excited to announce that the GT3 Concept car we showed at the Tokyo Auto Salon has advanced to the development stage.”

It appears that Toyota seems serious about bringing the GT3 concept to reality. Execs remain tight-lipped about providing any further details.

What would you like to see under its sleek body?

Join Free Join our community to easily find more Toyota, Gazoo Racing and GT3 Concept news.
Comments
6/17/22 5:28 p.m.

That looks like the Batmobile. Not the one from the '40s, though. The other one. No, not that one, either.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/17/22 5:43 p.m.

Time for a 2000GT successor?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/17/22 7:01 p.m.

Oh lawd!

6/17/22 8:50 p.m.
Appleseed said:

Oh lawd!

I know, right?

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
6/17/22 10:27 p.m.

What would I like to see under it's sleek body???

ME!!!

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/17/22 11:11 p.m.

Id like to see 550 hp twin turbo inline 6 and a true manual gearbox. NO HYBRID STUFF!

NO AWD!

j_tso
j_tso GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/18/22 12:03 a.m.

In reply to Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) :

I don't think Toyota has an inline 6, it'll probably be a turbo V6 or V8.

I hope OEM specials don't kill the class. They have to make 10 from the date of homologation and 20 by the 2nd year, so Toyota probably can't spend Ford GT money on this.

SupraFiend
SupraFiend New Reader
6/18/22 2:51 a.m.

I'd like to see under that skin... a street car.

Also, a Toyota.

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/18/22 7:04 a.m.

Develop an in house 3JZ.

No E36 M3!

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/18/22 5:01 p.m.

Umm Toyota and Mazda are developing an online 6, I expect this to feature it in it's spiciest form. And I'd actually rather have hybrid assist over forced induction at this point, if I'm having to decide between the two.

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
6/18/22 5:17 p.m.
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) said:

NO AWD!

GT3 rules don't allow hybrids, AWD, or manual gearboxes.

te72
te72 Reader
6/18/22 5:42 p.m.

The GT86 as a street car can be outfitted with a manual, but the race car they recently announced uses a sequential, so there's no reason we couldn't have a street car out of this...

I mean... as a long term Supra owner, I'm not holding my breath here, but perhaps this is Toyota's apology for the Mk5 Supra? I could get behind that.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/18/22 6:18 p.m.
te72 said:

I've instructed in 5 or 6 supras now, and Toyota has NOTHING to apologize for with that car.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/18/22 7:06 p.m.
racerfink said:
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) said:

NO AWD!

GT3 rules don't allow hybrids, AWD, or manual gearboxes.

The street in front of my house has no sanctioning body.

jimgood
jimgood Reader
6/18/22 7:51 p.m.

Yeah, that's pretty hot.

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
6/18/22 7:53 p.m.

A racetrack would be much better suited for a $500k race car.

Appleseed

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/18/22 9:46 p.m.
CrustyRedXpress said:
WonkoTheSane said:

You mean BMW?

Whoever it is should feel quite proud of themselves :)

ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter)
ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) Dork
6/18/22 10:01 p.m.

In reply to CrustyRedXpress :

I never understood the need to get pedantic about two awesome car companies co-developing an awesome car. What is to be gained by going around telling folks happy with their Cadillac that it is actually a GM or an Opel? Or telling folks interested in older Toyotas that it isn't a real Toyota because Yamaha developed the cylinder head? Or insisting that a Chevy Luv is an Isuzu, or a Honda Passport for that matter? Is life improved by E36 M3ting on every Geo Metro mention by insisting that it is actually a Suzuki? Do folks really feel like they are doing some good by using "Hurr-durr...BMW!" type comments to shed light in the fact that the reality of the automotive world in 2022 involves collaborations?

te72
te72 Reader
6/19/22 1:57 a.m.

In reply to ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) :

Try owning a modern BMW outside of the warranty, it will become abundantly clear what is wrong with calling this car a Toyota, period.

I've heard they drive great, and I've personally seen plenty of very fast, very sorted Mk5's. But when we go to our annual Supras in Vegas event and there are literally hundreds of old school Toyotas that are all 20-40 years old, that's something special. In 20 years, how many of these Mk5's are still gonna be in any sort of condition to make the journey? Meanwhile... I would bet money that our Toyota built Supras will still be coming out.

Caperix
Caperix New Reader
6/19/22 6:39 a.m.

Every car is becoming more complicated & therefore more difficult & expensive to repair.  I recently attended the vintage in Asheville NC & there are no shortage of BMW owners willing to drive their 30 to 50 year old cars multiple thousands of miles for an event.

I do think a halo car should be the manufacturer showing what they can do but today a halo car is going to be multiple hundreds of thousands of dollars.  If Toyota has to parter with Subaru to bring us the gt86, BMW to bring us the supra & rumored Porsche to bring us a new mr2 I think its a great thing.  Toyota has one of the most exciting line up of cars out of any manufacturer right now, if they need to parter with other brands to make it happen it just means we get a good car with 2 badges.  The Toyota we should be complaining about is the Corolla cross, why do we need an SUV with the same name as a current car?

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/19/22 4:08 p.m.

In reply to ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) :

Basically what @Caperix said below. I love automotive collaborations and have owned them in the past but it's a letdown when a manufactures' halo car is made by somebody else. It's telling the market that their core competency is branding and distribution instead of designing and building a car that inspires passion.

te72
te72 Reader
6/19/22 4:40 p.m.

For what it's worth, brand cross polination is nothing new. Remember... even Ford and Ferrari were to become one, at one point in history.

However, telling me that Toyota, of all companies, NEEDS to collaborate with another brand to deliver a car to market is simply a matter of ignorance. Mazda? Mitsubishi? Sure. Toyota though, with its coffers literally overflowing with cash? They can make whatever they WANT to make. Name me another car company with more financial reserves and R&D capability than Toyota. Not talking market "value" here, before someone brings up Tesla, maker of all of what, four cars in 15 years?

I'll wait. =P

6/20/22 11:45 a.m.

When Ford decided to take on Ferrari, it worked with a partner.

350z247
350z247 Reader
6/20/22 4:41 p.m.

In reply to te72 :

As someone who owns two modern BMWs out of warranty, they are not the nightmare every claims they are. My wife bought an E70 X5M in 2020 with 65K on the clock; she put 45K miles on over two years without a single issue. My E60 M5 has been just as reliable but with far fewer miles over the last year (maybe 10K from 70-80K). Toyota could either ask the kings of the inline 6 for help or never release another Supra. They chose the former and made an incredible car. Sounds like a good thing to me.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/20/22 7:25 p.m.

In reply to SupraFiend :

All new vehicles, regardless of the manufacturer, are extremely reliable. Until they aren't.

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
6/20/22 7:58 p.m.

Maybe I'm getting old, and my eyesight is going bad, but I can't see anywhere in 350's post about buying a 2020 BMW.

te72
te72 Reader
6/20/22 10:01 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Lola? I meant to say that they intended to become partners to develop cars together.

te72
te72 Reader
6/20/22 10:07 p.m.

In reply to 350z247 :

If there's one thing about Supra owners that may or may not be known, we like to tinker. I'm sure a modern BMW, left completely alone and maintained to a rigorous schedule, is probably reasonably reliable. Maybe all the horror stories are from people who don't fall under that description. Or they're from the service technicians I've heard over the years, but it definitely put up a bunch of red flags for me.

As for "kings of the inline 6" I mean... really? I'm aware of the old E36/46 guys back in the day made some very impressive numbers thanks to HPF back in the day, but I don't think I've ever heard someone freak out about a BMW. Stick a JZ in just about anything and you get a reaction, for better or worse.

Again though, Toyota didn't NEED help, not a bit. Even Mazda, strapped for R&D cash MAZDA, is making an inline 6. All Toyota would have needed is the will to do it.

j_tso
j_tso GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/21/22 12:16 a.m.

In reply to te72 :

I think he means Shelby American.

But Ford also partnered with Holman & Moody and Alan Mann Racing.

350z247
350z247 Reader
6/21/22 1:03 p.m.

In reply to te72 :

BMW has been continuously making incredible inline sixes since the 1970s (and even before that). The M1, E28/E34 M5s, E36/E46/F30 M3s, 1M, even the M54/N52 from the regular Z3/E46/E39s and Z4/F10/F30s were incredible. Toyota has made really 3 inline sixes worth talking about. The 2JZ has it's place as does the RB26 and a few Merc and domestic motors, but BMW is the king of the inline 6.

350z247
350z247 Reader
6/21/22 1:04 p.m.

In reply to SupraFiend :

2008 and 2010 do not equal 2020...same goes for my old 2000 and 2001 BMWs. Or my brothers 2008 and my mothers 2001.

te72
te72 Reader
6/22/22 10:46 a.m.

In reply to 350z247 :

From a standpoint of proliferation I can see your point, but I was talking about sheer performance potential. In my experience BMW's are best left as they were out of the factory, lest you significantly shorten the engine's lifespan. Meanwhile there are countless modified Toyota inline 6's running double or more their stock power, reliably, for decades.

For what it's worth, Toyota made inline six engines from the 1960's through to I want to say 2007 or so.

6/22/22 12:58 p.m.

In reply to j_tso :

I was thinking about Lola, but the bigger point is that so many cars–race and street–come from partnerships.

Several years ago, I was visiting Dodge and they asked, Hey, wanna see where we build the Viper Comp Coupes?

Sure.

We arrived at a Roush building.

I thought they built Fords, I said.

They'll build anything if you pay them, was the reply.

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
6/22/22 6:54 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

In 1988, I worked for Prototype Automotive Services, South for their IMSA Firestone Firehawk team.  When we took a trip up to Farmington Hills, Mi. to the parent shop, they were working on products for GM and Ford.  I seem to remember something about an IRS for Ford (I'm a big GM guy, so I didn't really care at that age), and a lot of forced induction stuff for Pontiac, namely the 20th Anniversary Trans-Am and a turbo Bonneville SSE (which later became supercharged before public consumption).  Ford had no problem coming to them, even though we ran Pontiacs for several years, because they kept their mouths shut and did damn fine work. And PAS kept their mouths shut and did damn fine work, because that kept the contracts (and money) coming.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
6/23/22 11:36 a.m.

In reply to 350z247 :

Jag and their Le Mans winning inline 6's might want to talk to you about that.

O9vCWrXMjkLKQ8aPUrsfRLFvxPCiLk0u2E8Ns8eVGnqvoXY8gQ1Q8gkOCJb55u4L