Virtual car NFTs: The next big thing in vehicle ownership?

Staff
By Staff Writer
Jul 31, 2021 | Non-fungible token, MotobBloq, NFT

Images Courtesy MotoBloq

Sponsored Content Presented by MotoBloq.

That dream car that always seems just out of reach? MotoBloq says you have a different option when it comes to owning a desirable ride: a virtual car NFT.

What, exactly, is an NFT? Without getting too into the weeds, an NFT–short for non-fungible token–is like an original piece of art in that it can be copied, scanned or replicated, but that doesn’t make those reproductions as valuable as the original piece; the original art is irreplaceable.

So MotoBloq is, essentially, offering digital versions of some of the most desirable cars ever made. If you buy one, you become the sole owner of that virtual car.

You can view the first 100 curated NFTs from the MotoBloq presale now, available for purchase “via credit card or select cryptocurrencies.”

Visit motobloq.com for more information.

Join Free Join our community to easily find more Non-fungible token, MotobBloq and NFT news.
Comments
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/31/21 7:47 a.m.

Obviously not, but my first thought on reading this is to wonder if today is April first instead of July 31.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/31/21 9:07 a.m.

I don't understand..

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
7/31/21 9:22 a.m.

In reply to nocones :

It’s the latest thing for people with more money than brains

Countingcrowbars
Countingcrowbars UltraDork
7/31/21 10:07 a.m.

What a dumb Berkeleying idea. Just dumb.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/31/21 10:32 a.m.

I am pretty sure this is already known as:  Gran Tourismo

And yes, this I suspect is mostly people with crap loads of bitcoin money trying to figure out how to spend it.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
7/31/21 10:51 a.m.

Separating people from their money is a full time job.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
7/31/21 11:37 a.m.

I'm not sure what's more insane: A real A80 Supra selling for $200,000 or a fake VW Beetle selling for $24.

Both cars will probably get driven exactly as much, so...

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
7/31/21 11:53 a.m.

So it's like having a car in a video game... but there's no game?

I'm confused too.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
7/31/21 12:29 p.m.

I have plenty of friends who produce purely digital art that never exists in a physical space, and NFTs might be a real benefit to them when it comes to commissions and original works. I see them as a legit way for artists in emerging media to be able to protect and get paid for their works.

But as glorified trading cards of cars? Oof, yeah. Not sure we're there yet.

Now, maybe create some sort of social/interactive infrastructure around these limited-quantity digital products that encourages trading (think Pokemon Go, but for cars), and maybe we're getting somewhere.

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/31/21 12:31 p.m.

No genius comment here.  Either I'm really stupid or this idea is.  Think I'm probably brighter than I look...

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
7/31/21 12:35 p.m.
BlueInGreen - Jon said:

So it's like having a car in a video game... but there's no game?

I'm confused too.

You're not confused.

Shaun
Shaun GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/31/21 1:56 p.m.

And half of the economy...

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
7/31/21 8:23 p.m.

I guess they are easier to fit in the garage.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Dork
7/31/21 11:13 p.m.

If you buy one, you become the sole owner of that virtual car

If I give the neighbor kid a nickle for his crayon drawing of my favorite car I get the same thing.
This scheme confirms the old P.T. Barnum quote perfectly.

Excuse me, the Nigerian prince is on hold and I need to get back to him right away.

Cactus
Cactus HalfDork
7/31/21 11:16 p.m.

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage HalfDork
8/1/21 2:01 a.m.

So let me get this straight, If I buy an imaginary car, nobody else can have it?

GB
GB New Reader
8/1/21 7:06 a.m.

What about NFT's for true collector cars, where we can go in and purchase a portion. Like how a stock is partial ownership of a company. Whoever owns the largest percentage gets to park it at their garage.

jb229
jb229 New Reader
8/1/21 7:22 a.m.

They are selling you a thing that represents the idea of a car at a material cost of more pollution than an actual car would generate.

It is the most insane thing I've ever heard.

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/1/21 8:07 a.m.
RichardSIA said:

If you buy one, you become the sole owner of that virtual car

This scheme confirms the old P.T. Barnum quote perfectly.

If the kid is honest you actually get the drawing which I more than you get with "ownership" of an NFT.

One born every minute. laugh

paddygarcia
paddygarcia GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/1/21 8:12 a.m.
nocones said:

I don't understand..

No, you do understand. It's just a stupid idea.

GB
GB New Reader
8/1/21 8:35 a.m.
GB said:

... but yeah, I do not get the virtual option.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
8/1/21 9:01 a.m.

I think we, as a like minded community, don't "get it" because we see cars as things to enjoy, through driving or using as a pallette to flex our creationary muscles on, or, when all the stars align and all the round tuits are delivered, both at the same time.

NFTs are things for people who get satisfaction from owning something.  They are tulip bulbs, they are parakeet glands on a stick.  They're "priceless art" that gets bought and stuck in an unlit storeroom somewhere.

itsarebuild
itsarebuild Dork
8/1/21 11:07 a.m.

I think things like NFT's are really just a secret way to study the relative intelligence of humans without letting the test subjects know it's a test. There is a database somewhere that you DO NOT want to be on.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/1/21 11:21 a.m.

Because we can monetize anything apparently. Any worse than betting on stocks to go up and down before the market opens (futures)?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/1/21 11:57 a.m.

I'm certain there's  a load of F U involved.

GB
GB New Reader
8/1/21 12:13 p.m.

... but are there NFT's for actual cars?

j_tso
j_tso GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/1/21 12:38 p.m.

In reply to GB :

NFT for a real car would be the title.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
8/2/21 5:08 a.m.

I hate everything about this.

CrashDummy
CrashDummy Reader
8/2/21 6:46 a.m.

I can't think of a single way that this is better than collecting Hotwheels.
I can think of lots of ways that it is worse.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
8/2/21 7:49 a.m.

I'm going to issue what they are missing: NFTs for racetracks and scenic roads so you have a virtual bubblegum card of a place to pretend your virtual bubblegum card of a car is driving. Right now the only location available is the Brooklyn Bridge. And since these don't need to be tied to reality, these could include NFTs for a giant life-sized Hot Wheels course, Mario Kart tracks (hey, NFTs can apparently be generated for things you have zero trademark, copyright, or any other permission to use!), the bonus stages from the Sonic the Hedgehog series, and more!

J.G. seems to have come up with the perfect way to explain most NFTs: "Glorified trading cards." That's all these are. Some examples seem a bit more - a way to sponsor an artist and get back a literal token of appreciation. But these seem more like the trading card model.

I could see some value to this if the NFT tied into video games and let you drive the car in iRacing, or better yet, could be brought between games. But that might open up other problems: What if you brought your NFT into Grand Theft Auto for a mission and had it stolen? Would it disappear from the other games?

5BuERGe3HL8pvze5wF6m6wJDO6wNJhxFZmkYvpTQ5hk1bGfQZQMXvM0dZEASymLB