Vote: Is the Interior of This Backdated Porsche 911 a Hit or a Miss?

Colin
By Colin Wood
Dec 17, 2020 | Porsche, 911

Looking for a modified, old-school 911? This backdated Porsche 1975 911S just might check all the right boxes for you: ducktail spoiler, big fender flares and a twin-turbocharged 3.8-liter engine hiding in the rear.

The only thing that might not be on your list? How about a unique teal-and-brown houndstooth interior that not only covers the seats, but also the dash and the doors, too?

This 1975 Porsche 911S recently went up for auction over on Bring a Trailer, and although bidding reached $230,000, the auction failed to make reserve.

So, is this a modified 911 with some interesting style choices, or is that interior make you want to steer clear of this teal-over-brown Porsche?

Is this 1975 Porsche 911S worth $230,000?
Yes, it's an interesting build.
No, that interior makes me sick.
Join Free Join our community to easily find more Porsche and 911 news.
Comments
mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
12/15/20 3:31 p.m.

Would rock. All day today and twice on Sunday.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
12/15/20 3:37 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Would rock. All day today and twice on Sunday.

Samesies!

maschinenbau (I live here)
maschinenbau (I live here) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/15/20 3:40 p.m.

Oh my god yeeeessss

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/15/20 3:46 p.m.

BLEAGHCK!

If it was just the seat inserts, maybe OK.  It would benefit from a smaller scale pattern, though.

But the door cards and dash panel are a mortal sin.  That steering wheel might have looked good in black - highly doubtful - but that aggressively bright tan (how is that even a thing?) just highlights what an ugly design it is.

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
12/15/20 3:48 p.m.

Absolutely. Ab so berking lutely.

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
12/15/20 3:49 p.m.

It's cool looking, but it's too much.  Almost dizzying to look at.  I'd say if it were just the seats, fine, but the rest would make me not want to ever open the door or be inside that thing.

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
12/15/20 3:53 p.m.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UberDork
12/15/20 4:09 p.m.

Voting options I guess are an attempt at levity.

My answer is hell no, it's not worth $230K, but my objection to the price has little to do with the interior.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa SuperDork
12/15/20 4:11 p.m.

Seats and doors might work (although that orange color is too 70s for me) but the dash just makes it too tuner-y for me.

STM317
STM317 UberDork
12/15/20 4:56 p.m.

I would've gone with a different color combo if it were my 6 figure car, but I like the idea.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
12/15/20 4:58 p.m.

If it was regular size houndstooth it would be okay, but I don't care for the giant size pattern.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/15/20 5:01 p.m.

There are a bunch of design choices I wouldn't have made and I can't imagine the circumstances under which I'd pay a quarter million for a street car but I think the whole thing is incredibly well done and cohesive including the interior.

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Dork
12/15/20 5:04 p.m.

The price: For people who want to pay $230k++ for a car, this is the sort of car they would pay $230k++ for.

The fabric: First, smaller houndstooth is better.  There are subtler ways of compensating for something.  Second, seats are fine, door cards if you have to, but get it the heck off the dash.  Assuming you intend to actually drive the car and not just polish it with the proverbial diaper, I would think that the very last thing you need in your peripheral vision is distracting bits of fabric.

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
12/15/20 5:05 p.m.

That steering wheel is terrible. That's the main thing I noticed. It's so cheap and crappy looking, like they grabbed it out of a Chevy Corsica or some other late '80s/early '90s E36 M3box commuter car

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
12/15/20 5:11 p.m.

Ewww!  Nope, hard pass for me

spandak
spandak HalfDork
12/15/20 5:13 p.m.

Im fine with the Houndstooth.

I dont want to be critical of someone clearly richer and more talented than myself but.... who goes through all that work and leaves that hideous steering wheel? Those 4 spokes are...not good.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
12/15/20 5:19 p.m.

Poor choice of seats and upholstery for a back dated 911.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
12/15/20 5:50 p.m.
stuart in mn said:

I'm with this guy.

rattfink81
rattfink81 Reader
12/15/20 5:51 p.m.

I dig the seats and door panels, the dash has to much going on fir me and I'm not a fan of the steering wheel color.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
12/15/20 5:55 p.m.

Thats just a stock 911 steering wheel that has been recovered ,

I  do not like the shade of blue , and the pattern on the dash is not a plus.

the pattern on the seats and door panels is OK , but not those colors .....

can someone do a black and white conversion to see what the interior looks like !

I wonder who picked the colors , do they have a "colorist"  like they do in Hollywood movies  ,

But its still a neat car........

Error404
Error404 Reader
12/15/20 6:07 p.m.

The doors are too much, I'd have switched up the pattern and played to one color or the other in a simpler way. I do, however, like it on the dash. My GTI is a 'special' color and they splashed it around the interior including some pieces on the dash and it's nice. Sitting at a stoplight or just cruising, enjoying a scenic view out the windshield like the good ole days of yore, and catch that splash of color on the wheel or dash that just helps bring my car into the moment. You don't get that from album art or EPG stats on your touchscreen.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/15/20 6:11 p.m.

The entire point of garish teal is you put it on the outside so the rest of the world is subjected to see it but you don't have to, this interior misses that point completely. So, that's a no from me.

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/15/20 6:46 p.m.

I'd rock it, but not for $230,000....for that money a Singer looks better in every way.

It's also impressive that the car apparently just floats in a pure-white magical cloud (one of my pet peeves, these heavily-enhanced photos that make cars look like they're CGI or models).

R56fanatic (Forum Supporter)
R56fanatic (Forum Supporter) New Reader
12/15/20 9:06 p.m.

The exterior color is cool, the interior is retch-worthy.  Less is more.  Just an understated leather interior would have been so much better.  Not that I hae $230K to blow on an old 911, or any other car for that matter.

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) Reader
12/15/20 9:27 p.m.

I'm not really in the target audience for these high-dollar resto-mods.  There is obviously a market for cars like this, and gaudy seems to be the thing. So yes, this car is gaudy. I could do a bit of gaudy if it takes design cues from the original and respects the original design intent. I'm struggling to see that here.

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/15/20 9:35 p.m.

It is so close to being a huge giant yes, it is hard to believe they missed it by that much.

NorseDave
NorseDave Reader
12/15/20 9:47 p.m.

Like others, I think I'm okay with the seats, but the door cards are a bit much, and the dash is a resounding no.

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Reader
12/15/20 10:32 p.m.

Saw that on BAT last week - loved it!

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
12/15/20 10:56 p.m.

Germans are just a weird group of humans.

mad_machine (Forum Supporter)
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/15/20 11:35 p.m.
Duke said:

BLEAGHCK!

I do not mind the door cards, but the dash and wheel need to go.

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD (Forum Supporter) Dork
12/16/20 12:36 a.m.

In a way it reminds me of a Boxster I had with a Nephrite Green full leather interior:

• Buying - Hey this is really unique. I like it.
  • A few weeks later - Maybe I should swap in some black pieces to tone it down a little.
  • Selling six months later, hoping to break even - "Rare color combo, must see in person!"
STM317
STM317 UberDork
12/16/20 3:59 a.m.
irish44j (Forum Supporter) said:

Pretty sure Singers start around $450-500k (plus the donor car), and go up breathtakingly fast from there, so by that metric, maybe this price isn't as bad? You get 80-90% of the Singer look for less than 50% of the price.

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) Dork
12/16/20 7:03 a.m.
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) said:

I do not mind the door cards, but the dash and wheel need to go.

There is proof of going one step too far, and the dash insert is it. Just that solid like the bezel would be better.

Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/16/20 7:31 a.m.

I generally like what they're doing, but it's louder than I'd prefer. I think I'd pass. The money? I have better uses for that cash, but sadly, that's true of most of the aircooled world to me these days.

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/16/20 8:22 a.m.

I love it, but I probably wouldn't have done the dash if it were my project. I might still buy it done that way, though. I wouldn't pay 230k for it but it's got nothing to do with the interior. I love the interior.

Note for the fans of smaller patterns - I'm pretty sure that's actually hand woven leather strips making the pattern, not printed. Just think about those logistics for a minute.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
12/16/20 9:21 a.m.

I love it.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/16/20 9:44 a.m.
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) said:

That doesn't make it better, just more questionable.

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/16/20 9:52 a.m.

It's a hit, but definitely not for me.

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/16/20 9:54 a.m.

Auction hit $230,000, but didn't make reserve???surprise

Somebody is nuts.

AaronT
AaronT Reader
12/16/20 10:01 a.m.

I like the interior, but I also drive a $5k Miata as my fun car so my aversion to the car is that I can't afford it.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
12/16/20 10:04 a.m.

One of my favourite back-dated 911s, a 964 from Ninemeister in England.....No photo description available.

racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
12/16/20 10:06 a.m.

Let's just say if I paid that much for a car, it would not have that interior.  I'm sure someone loves it, but I think it's pretty tacky.  The only thing missing is the fuzzy steering wheel cover.  cheeky

12/16/20 10:10 a.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

Warren Martin,'99 Miata,'03 CooperS,'91 GTI 16V,06 Scion Xb ,73 Corolla SR5, 2019 GMC Canyon

That is pretty darn perfect.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
12/16/20 10:17 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

I think so , too. If I wanted a back dated car, it's intended to look like a 70s car, but with all the modern amenities, just in disguise. I love the wheels, 15x7 fronts with 205/55/15s,and 15x8 rears with 225/50/15s.See the source image

Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
12/16/20 10:18 a.m.

Initially I liked it but after a little bit the dash started saying "727 sitting in coach" to me. I think it would drive me nuts.

As for 911 prices......................I'm always left wondering when the bubble will burst but it never does. I've driven a lot of older 911s from stock to specials and for me they could not be 230K special (not that I could remotely even afford to buy one), yet I think the 911 GT-3RS is worth every penny................it's all perception, eh.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
12/16/20 11:08 a.m.

So, here's another view of the hounds tooth interior, taken during the car's construction. The colour tones appear much different and there are no carpets or door panels installed. Imagine a darker colour leather where the blue steel is and , at least to me, the interior doesn't seem nearly as garish as the original photo.75 RSR TT Seafoam int5

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/16/20 3:29 p.m.

Oh man. I love it. Gives me energy to go get my MGB GT done so I can do the interior in a similar fashion!

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Reader
12/16/20 4:08 p.m.

ABS. SO. Lutely. Would be PERFECT match for the pattern on my Louis V. My puppy would look SOOOO cute on trips to the nail salon.

For all those that love it, I'm tempted to post up some 90s street rods - we'll expect ooohs and aaahs from you.

"What on God's green earth were they thinking" will be your new forum tag.

Oh, and know that if you want to flame me for that comment, it won't work.

I own and lovingly care for an E21 (well, not really or it would be finished by now).  And a Members Only jacket.

LopRacer
LopRacer Dork
12/16/20 8:20 p.m.

I would totallydrive it, but I couldn't and wouldn't pay that for it.

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/16/20 9:07 p.m.
STM317 said:
irish44j (Forum Supporter) said:

I mean, don't get me wrong. I don't think a Singer is worth that either.

Hell, for $230k, I'll take a new Cayman GT4 and get a new Carrera 4 vert for my wife......and not be scared to park them in public or take them to the track (as much).

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/17/20 6:22 a.m.

Ugly.

Ruins an otherwise beautiful car.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/17/20 7:02 a.m.

I like it, although it's not what I'd personally want.

The interior is one part of a custom car you get to interact with, so making it different and a place the owner wants to spend time in makes sense to me.  It can be such a personal expression and naturally not to everyone's taste.

Designing and learning to build the interior is the part of my 1800ES project I'm most looking forward to.

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/17/20 8:03 a.m.

I like it as well but can't say I'd spend that kinda dime on it. At that price point it opens up a whole lot of options.

dankspeed
dankspeed HalfDork
12/17/20 8:55 a.m.

love everything about the car except the interior. Pattern looks fine it's the color choices.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
12/17/20 6:02 p.m.

It looks like a butterscotch candy exploded inside the car.  My first company car had the same color, but was ordered by my predecessor.

rjrjglQ8GU4wkKl0h5J3M9633XSBj2aVPdqG1ZPPxpWTqHgW3zpk3WnL09SV9CE9