Yamaha Announces 350 kW High-Output Electric Motor for Hyper-EVs

Colin
By Colin Wood
Apr 14, 2021 | Yamaha, Electric Cars

Yamaha’s latest foray into electric powerplants? A 350-kW motor “intended for installation and use in hyper-EVs and other high-output applications.”

Just how much power is 350 kW? Roughly 469 horsepower. And that’s just per motor: “The main feature of this newly developed electric motor is its compact construction that treats the mechanical and electrical components as a single entity, integrating the gear and inverter into one unit. It was also developed in anticipation of installation and use of multiple units on a single vehicle.”

Imagine, as this illustration portrays, having one of these new Yamaha motors connected to each wheel of a car. That’s approximately over 1800 horsepower on tap.

Yes, we get it, internal combustion engines do make some very cool noises that we love, but we can’t continue to ignore the sheer potential electric motors have in performance applications.

Read the full press release below:

IWATA, April 12, 2021 - Yamaha Motor Co., Ltd. (Tokyo: 7272) announced today that it has developed an electric motor reaching the industry's highest class in output density. This unit is aimed at use in hyper-EV models and other offerings in the high-output mobility segment and Yamaha will begin accepting orders for commissioned prototype development from April this year.

Since 2020, Yamaha Motor has been accepting commissions for developing prototype electric motors (35–200 kW) for automobiles and other mobility applications. However, the company has also newly developed a unit boasting a maximum output in the 350 kW class (operating voltage of 800V) intended for installation and use in hyper-EVs and other high-output applications.

Regarding commissioned prototype development, Yamaha will leverage its production technology and know-how in the casting, machining and assembly fields that give the company the flexibility to adapt to the needs of motorcycles and its numerous other products, its prototyping equipment and facilities and more in order to develop prototype motors tailoring to the specific requirements of clients in a short period.

Yamaha Motor plans to exhibit the 350 kW class unit and its other electric motor prototypes at the Automotive Engineering Exposition 2021 Yokohama scheduled for May 26 to May 28, 20

Join Free Join our community to easily find more Yamaha and Electric Cars news.
Comments
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/13/21 3:22 p.m.

This is the sort of stuff I've been looking forward to. Remove the current differential, stuff this thing in its place, add halfshafts and electricity, enjoy.

Next step: develop a bolt-in replacement for a Ford 9 inch :)

4/13/21 3:23 p.m.

I'll take two, please. (But I'm going to mount them in the LF and RR positions.)

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/13/21 3:51 p.m.

It appears to have a spin on oil filter. Which is nice.

jerrysarcastic (Forum Supporter)
jerrysarcastic (Forum Supporter) Reader
4/13/21 4:37 p.m.

Next step: develop a bolt-in replacement for a Ford 9 inch :)

Yeah, that's the ticket!  I'd say the only way you could improve on that is a battery pack and controller that is roughly the size of a small block v8 and transmission, and can be bolted to the factory engine mounts.  From there run some big orange cables where the driveshaft used to be, and show it some open roads!

I'm really ready for this bright future \o/

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/13/21 5:25 p.m.
jerrysarcastic (Forum Supporter) said:

Next step: develop a bolt-in replacement for a Ford 9 inch :)

I'm really ready for this bright future \o/

I'm on board with this plan, it's good.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
4/13/21 5:28 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Next step: develop a bolt-in replacement for a Ford 9 inch :)

I like the cut of your jib, and not just because I happen to have a 9" in teh RX-7...

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
4/13/21 5:44 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Next step: develop a bolt-in replacement for a Ford 9 inch :)

And the GM optimum batteries are supposedly going to be modular with focus towards EV swaps.

It's happening boyos

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/13/21 6:13 p.m.

I want to get together with some industrial design friends and come up with the look of Jerry's SBC battery pack. Make it look kinda like an SBC, but very cyberpunk and electric. Because it IS cyberpunk for reals. I dig it.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
4/13/21 6:40 p.m.

will these be sold to the public ?

any guess on price ?   $15k each for the motor only ?

jerrysarcastic (Forum Supporter)
jerrysarcastic (Forum Supporter) Reader
4/13/21 7:36 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

It’s kinda what ICON did with the “engine” for their 49 Merc EV and I’ve always admired how nicely they packaged their conversion.  This is actually Tesla batteries in a classic V formation with the battery controllers and cooling all up front. Always thought this treaded the line between retro and futuristic pretty nicely.

The actual motor is low in the transmission tunnel and looks to be connected directly to the diff via a conventional driveshaft.

Keith I like your idea of mounting the motor in the diff itself, though I suppose unsprung weight might be a concern.  Packaging would be easier for the average hobbyist though since it’d be bolt-in.  And let’s be honest, if you have a solid axle you’ve already given up the war on unsprung weight.

Props to ICON though for switching to an IRS rear, which is more work to fab, but is a real advantage to mounting the motor where the trans would normally go. I could see this as a good option for packaging a conversion (even if the solid axle is retained) as well.

singleslammer
singleslammer GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/13/21 7:47 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Donuts that are within your wheelbase. I like it.

malibuguy
malibuguy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/14/21 4:31 a.m.

This could be alot of fun

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/14/21 7:22 a.m.

Stuff like this is so cool. I hope that this technology gets cheep enough fast enough that back yard conversions become a real thing.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/14/21 7:26 a.m.

How much torque does that motor make?  I did some reading but I don't see it stated.

Driven5
Driven5 UltraDork
4/14/21 9:21 a.m.
dean1484 said:

Yeah, I don't generally care much about the hyper-expensive-cars and sub 2s 0-60 time this is targeting. I'll actually get excited once sub $100/kWh battery packs with continuous (or at least prolonged) max motor discharge cooling capability become available direct to the consumer, along with the motors and all of the plug-and-play electronics (including regenerative braking and traction control that can be adjusted and/or disabled) required to run it.

This is a good indicator we're heading in that direction though, and gives me cautious optimism that we might even get there in the next few years.

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
4/14/21 9:48 a.m.

All I see is 4wd burnouts. cool

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/14/21 9:51 a.m.
singleslammer said:

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Donuts that are within your wheelbase. I like it.

Even more entertaining if you can adjust them to run opposite directions. LF forward and RR reverse.

Rocambolesque
Rocambolesque Reader
4/14/21 11:19 a.m.
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) said:

All I see is 4wd burnouts. cool

Front axle in drive, rear axle in reverse!

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
4/14/21 11:30 a.m.
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) said:

It appears to have a spin on oil filter. Which is nice.

Which is also high mounted, so when you take it off it spill oil all over the case, which probably gets into the valley area and of corse eventually collects a bunch of dust/dirt.... argh...

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
4/14/21 11:36 a.m.

In reply to aircooled :

The filter probably only needs to be changed every 60k-100k or so.

I assume that it's only there in the first place because the motor is swimming in the lube oil/coolant, and any metallic particles in the oil making it conductive is probably a bad thing...  That's the only reason I can think of for a filter on a gearbox.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/14/21 12:52 p.m.
singleslammer said:

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Donuts that are within your wheelbase. I like it.

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
4/14/21 1:21 p.m.

Looks tiny.

(Thanks McMike)

I love it. Drop it into a car like my MINI Roadster with a 60kWh battery pack and get a really fun electric sports car. Or in a Miata...

ultraclyde
ultraclyde GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/14/21 1:29 p.m.

This is the cool future. I can't wait, I love wiring stuff.

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/14/21 1:40 p.m.

Yamaha High-Output Motor...  Is Ford going to bring back the Taurus SHO as an EV?

nlevine (Forum Supporter)
nlevine (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/14/21 2:32 p.m.

Wondering if this would fit in place of the rear transaxle in my project Porsche 924. Put the batteries up front where the engine used to be. No torque tube required...

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
4/14/21 2:49 p.m.

In reply to nlevine (Forum Supporter) :

I wonder if Tesla "stick" batteries would fit on-edge in the tunnel.

jr02518
jr02518 HalfDork
4/14/21 3:04 p.m.

This might be sacrilege, but I can see my MGA Coupe sitting on top of a scaled down ICON chaise.  Yes, with tires that fit under the stock fenders!

Having the batteries look like a twin cam engine, priceless.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/14/21 3:13 p.m.

I would happily dump the low compression almost-malaise era 350 in my El Camino for an EV conversion kit. Call it the E-Camino. I would probably pay between $5-10k for a solid kit.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/14/21 5:36 p.m.
nlevine (Forum Supporter) said:

You are reading my mind except I have an 89 951

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
4/15/21 9:36 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

The filter is there for exactly why you think- Tesla's have them on their gearboxes too.

If by stick batteries, you mean the ones they did for Mercedes in the late 2000s? Probably, but I don't remember what they had for cooling and they're essentially outdated now; but there are tons of packs like the Lithium-Irons from buses that are thin slabs that are far more resistant to temperature.

Toyspyder
Toyspyder New Reader
4/17/21 8:00 a.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

I have what might be the perfect car for it. It is a Toyota MR2 Spyder that currently has a Yamaha engineered 2ZZ-GE swap in it. I could pull out that engine and then drop in this Yamaha unit, put in battery packs in the frunk and where the gas tank was as well as the extra space in the engine bay. Anyone want to finance me? LOL.

Vajingo
Vajingo HalfDork
4/17/21 10:28 a.m.

So pit stops are now going to be battery pack swaps and tires. No more fuel guy. Now they need a nerd with a soldering iron. Neato

malibuguy
malibuguy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/17/21 10:41 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

I was looking up used Leaf parts and its almost in touch.  If I can be into a decent conversion parts wise for a couple grand Id seriously consider it for one of my Tercels

MrhAKadLPoLsNRd36v6gPbul763df5D7mXgoTrpiLsPomXba3Sc9t6zzA3j5zkOc