You Need This: 2005 Lotus Elise

David S.
By David S. Wallens
May 23, 2017 | Lotus

Like so many other English sports cars, the Lotus Elise looks so right in British Racing Green. Wire Wheel is offering this 2005 Lotus Elise for $27,900. While it does have a rebuilt title, Wire Wheel knows these cars well enough to separate the good ones from the bad ones.

We list dozens of sports cars and race cars for sale in each issue of Grassroots Motorsports Subscribe now.

Join Free Join our community to easily find more Lotus news.
Comments
LuxInterior
LuxInterior HalfDork
5/23/17 11:24 a.m.

I'll have two please. Red - me. Green - mrs lux

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
5/23/17 11:26 a.m.

You're right. I do need that. Wanna talk my wife into it for me?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/23/17 11:29 a.m.

But I could buy a Z06 for that much!

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
5/23/17 11:30 a.m.

Is that an advertisement? Because when I click the "Read the rest of the story" link... there is no more story. Just the same text saying "you should buy this rebuilt title Elise for $27.5k because this company knows stuff about profiting from wrecked Elises"! (paraphrased)

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
5/23/17 11:42 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: But I could buy a Z06 for that much!

I know right? Or... if you stretch the budget a little you can squeeze into a 17 year old Miata with a V8 swap!

markwemple
markwemple UltraDork
5/23/17 11:54 a.m.

Turbo 996 is getting there too.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/23/17 12:22 p.m.

LuxInterior
LuxInterior HalfDork
5/23/17 12:25 p.m.

I'm pretty sure this is going to be a lot more fun in the corners than a Z06.

calteg
calteg Dork
5/23/17 12:30 p.m.

Needed it. Bought it. I regret nothing.

RevRico
RevRico SuperDork
5/23/17 12:32 p.m.

There's a yellow and black one that autocrossas locally. The driver is my size and maybe twice my age, I have no idea how he gets in and out.

Way prettier in British racing green, but really what isn't?

It's fast, it's noisy, at least when he's driving it has a pretty hard understeer issue. Looks like tons of fun though.

I think the best part is seeing it show up with a tire trailer on the back.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/23/17 12:53 p.m.

Lotus has some awesome colors for the Elise. There a red that's just incredible in the sunlight, it has gold highlights.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UltraDork
5/23/17 12:54 p.m.
calteg wrote: Needed it. Bought it. I regret nothing.

Wait, what?

You actually bought this car?

Cool!

LuxInterior
LuxInterior HalfDork
5/23/17 1:33 p.m.
wvumtnbkr wrote:
calteg wrote: Needed it. Bought it. I regret nothing.
Wait, what? You actually bought this car? Cool!

I call shotgun!

5/23/17 3:37 p.m.

Call me a fan of BRG, too. Yes, the Elise works well in just about any color, but green is just so classic.

griffin729
griffin729 HalfDork
5/23/17 3:42 p.m.

Oh, I want one. But, I also don't fit in one.

calteg
calteg Dork
5/23/17 3:56 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr:

Nope, a chrome orange one. Another fella on the boards has the twin to mine. Wouldn't mind a BRG exige though.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/23/17 4:16 p.m.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/23/17 4:28 p.m.

I'd love to have one, but I can't afford them. Oh, well.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/23/17 5:14 p.m.
Woody wrote: I looked at one when they were new in BRG with Oxblood (really dark red) interior. It was an amazing color combo. I've never seen another one in person.

I'm not usually a BRG and tan kinda guy, but that looks great.

Fr3AkAzOiD
Fr3AkAzOiD Reader
5/23/17 5:38 p.m.

Had a saving plan for one but got layed off work so that plan has been put on hold. :(

One day.....

759NRNG
759NRNG Reader
5/23/17 5:42 p.m.

this car, this color combo, over a MX5.........hell yeah every day

LuxInterior
LuxInterior HalfDork
5/23/17 5:56 p.m.

That green is beautiful, but I like this even better

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/23/17 6:12 p.m.

Lotus Laser Blue. Love it so much, we painted a car at FM that color.

759NRNG
759NRNG Reader
5/23/17 6:21 p.m.

BRG with Oxblood kinda reminds me of 'lippin' an 8plus pound largemouth on a lazy sunny day at the lake.........

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/23/17 10:35 p.m.

I've been staring at this car for a month. Something about being responsible.

Yavuz
Yavuz Reader
5/24/17 8:19 a.m.

D2W
D2W Reader
5/24/17 8:43 a.m.

I don't care for BRG, but I do want an Elise. My color choice would be that bright lime green that almost hurts your eyes.

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
5/24/17 8:49 a.m.

I turn 50 in a few weeks. I keep thinking the midlife crisis car could be a Lotus.

LuxInterior
LuxInterior HalfDork
5/26/17 11:55 a.m.

Those toe links are a common weak point. I suspect that things a lot worse than skittering across the highway have happened when they let go. I'd plan to replace them every 2 years if I was driving the car regularly. Or else replace semi-permanently with one of the better aftermarket options.

Harvey
Harvey Dork
5/26/17 12:50 p.m.

Guy at NNJR brought his BRG on tan and I really liked it. Looked terrific with that combo.

Yavuz wrote: This isn't a knock on wirewheel at all since Hayes was great to work with, but I would encourage anyone interested in their cars to not buy one sight unseen. I bought a clean accident-free 06 Elise from them a couple of months ago and had the car shipped up to MA. I've spent over $5000 in parts and labor already in the 400 miles I've driven the car. Blown shock, 7 year old rock hard tires, junk brake rotors, and I had a rear toe link sheer off in the first 100 miles and send me sliding across a highway. There's a load of small misc things as well that you would expect in a Lotus (burned out headlight, ill fitting interior trim, etc). I'm REALLY happy with the car now that it's not broken anymore, but I probably would have passed on it if I had seen and driven it first.

IMO, never buy any used car sight unseen. Always either view and drive it yourself or have someone you trust go see and drive it.

Keith Tanner wrote: But I could buy a Z06 for that much!

I like this guy! He knows things! ;)

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/26/17 1:20 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: And yet somehow, this is not the same car as a Corvette or a 996 Turbo or a custom-built V8 Miata or a Toyota minivan. It's like they're all valid options. Weird.

What's that don't Elsa sings?

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/26/17 1:22 p.m.

I would take one in that orange color with black interior.

WpWvykOgUpfytvJldIR8ZM0nCxXPMp10l887tio5RnFKg5BTNG1jrhkhMrJTuniF