Cell and Aluminum Work: Check

Per
Update by Per Schroeder to the LeGrand Mk 18 project car
Jun 9, 2009

The new cell was made to the exact dimensions as the old one.
Yep, we had to squeeze the cell through that hole.
By carefully folding the cell, we inserted it through the opening.
All finished!
We traced the end cap pattern onto fresh aluminum.
While the aluminum was removed, we repainted the steel inside.
The right side is now done.

We have completed a couple more tasks on our LeGrand project: Installing a new Fuel Safe fuel cell bladder and replacing a few pieces of aluminum on the ends of the monocoque chassis.

The cell was pretty easy to install—we just had to squeeze it through the very small fill plate hole. We did this slowly and carefully so we wouldn’t damage the cell material. We also stuck two half-gallon displacement blocks in the cell to reduce capacity from 5 gallons to 4 gallons. That will save us about 7 pounds that we don’t need for autocross. We can remove the blocks if the car ever goes back to track work.

A few sections of the aluminum monocoque chassis have extra holes from previous work. We replaced both rear end caps with fresh aluminum.

Join Free Join our community to easily find more project updates.
Comments
View comments on the GRM forums
Sponsored by

GRM Ad Dept

Our Preferred Partners
uR1KJRrreO3ilQQ0PqYhyP7quLqUcuPL8VZ65uPY0itgq0rpPWNxwkceyBe7UC6d