What to know before making the switch to wheel studs

Sponsored by
David S.
Update by David S. Wallens to the BMW M3 project car
Nov 14, 2023 | BMW, BMW M3, M3, BimmerWorld, E46 M3, E46, Wheel Studs

Wheel bolts or wheel studs? Exactly. 

When we called BimmerWorld to order some studs for our E46-chassis BMW M3, we figured it would be a quick transaction. But, as usual, things went deeper, and we learned a thing or two. 

One big takeaway: “User error is a massive issue with wheel studs,” BimmerWorld’s James Clay tells us. How’s that? Torquing lugs …

This content is available for GRM+ members and Grassroots Motorsports magazine subscribers only.

You can read it for free in 19 days or subscribe to GRM+ to read right now.

Subscribe now

Already a member?

Login to read

Join Free Join our community to easily find more project updates.
More like this
Comments
buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
7/10/23 5:02 p.m.

I've not thought about this and I probably should. I think I installed my studs in 2015 but I didn't think to write it down. That replacement interval gets pricey for endurance racing though. We're doing 14.5 hours of racing per weekend!

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/10/23 6:11 p.m.
buzzboy said:

I've not thought about this and I probably should. I think I installed my studs in 2015 but I didn't think to write it down. That replacement interval gets pricey for endurance racing though. We're doing 14.5 hours of racing per weekend!

Hm, I wonder if the failure mode on studs is more related to hours of use or to expected number of on/off cycles?  Very different for enduro vs sprint racing there!

 

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Dork
7/10/23 7:06 p.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:
buzzboy said:

I've not thought about this and I probably should. I think I installed my studs in 2015 but I didn't think to write it down. That replacement interval gets pricey for endurance racing though. We're doing 14.5 hours of racing per weekend!

Hm, I wonder if the failure mode on studs is more related to hours of use or to expected number of on/off cycles?  Very different for enduro vs sprint racing there!

 

Also very dependent on vehicle type. BMWs are prone to stud failure based on my experience with their 12mm studs versus other makes that have 14mm studs, etc.

 

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf Dork
7/10/23 8:46 p.m.
Olemiss540 said:

Also very dependent on vehicle type. BMWs are prone to stud failure based on my experience with their 12mm studs versus other makes that have 14mm studs, etc.

Ah ha, now this makes sense

JesseWolfe
JesseWolfe Reader
7/11/23 6:07 a.m.

I've seriously been considering this on my 12' JSW, if only to make tire rotations on my DD go smoother.  

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/11/23 6:19 p.m.

I'd love to go to upgraded and longer ARP studs for the '23 BRZ, but it means removing the hubs to drive the old ones and and new ones in, vs a BMW where they are just screw-in type.

ThumperUSMC
ThumperUSMC GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/15/23 12:44 p.m.

That is something I really hadn't thought about. So, now that I am thinking of it, what would be recommended for my 1998 Corvette that I race, in both autocross and road racing? 

RacingComputers
RacingComputers GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/15/23 6:53 p.m.

Anyone know if ARP makes a 3" stud the have a knurl larger the .625?

 

Installer  FUBARED the installation of one on our Moser 31 Spline axles

 

Sorry for the Hi-Jack

You'll need to log in to post.

Sponsored by

Bimmerworld

Our Preferred Partners
6j15mp12AEPexcBBKNONq5dLBq3usgyxmJyxVoPAISQfGi3kiGE9ky5wrwoZldin