btwright
btwright New Reader
4/15/24 6:03 p.m.

I wanted to clarify how to properly budget for the 2025 2KChallenge. I plan to enter the Poorsche 944 again and BELIEVE that I need to recoup up to $2K in order to spend up to $2K. Otherwise, do I get to start with a clean budget and add another $2K without having to recoup? Adding another $2K doesn't sound right and wanted the clarification. 

Thank you!! Brian, Brendan & Dalton

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Publisher
4/15/24 6:50 p.m.

Here's a link to the rules: https://2000challenge.com/rules

There's no difference for a returning car--bring your same budget sheet back next year, but add or remove anything you added or removed. 

btwright
btwright New Reader
4/15/24 8:51 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

Thanks Tom; however, the wording is not easy for me to understand. Let me phrase it another way: Can I recoup another $2K by selling parts off this car that were a part of the original purchase so that I can then buy more go-fast parts? To be specific, I believe I can sell the wheels and other parts to purchase power/handling/other.

OR does GRM see selling those wheels/other parts as recouping more than the initial $2K?

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/15/24 8:57 p.m.

What you've recouped to date is your recoup for next year too. The budget doesn't start over each year.

btwright
btwright New Reader
4/15/24 9:08 p.m.

In reply to dyintorace :

Thank you for the clarification. I'm glad I asked. 

darkbuddha
darkbuddha HalfDork
4/15/24 9:20 p.m.

You're permitted a maximum of $2000 in total recoup (combined, for both selling and trading) for the lifetime of your participation with that vehicle in the challenge. Doesn't matter if you bring the vehicle once, or a dozen times. $2k limit. Period.

Same for the $2000 spending limit. $2k over the lifetime of your participation with that vehicle in the challenge.

Once you hit those limits, the only way to get any recoup or spending budget back is to remove things from the car. For example:

If you traded a pair of seats for a set of wheels at a value of $200, you could add that $200 back to your recoup budget by removing the wheels from the car (maybe by using whatever wheels originally came with the car).

Or if you spent $100 on a strut tower brace, you could add that $100 back to your spending budget by removing it. 

Hope this helps.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/15/24 9:24 p.m.

That 944 is super clean. I was surprised to see it on Fuchs, as I know they bring stupid money. Will be great to see it again next year.

rdcyclist
rdcyclist GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/15/24 11:41 p.m.

That 944 looked too good in the pictures I saw. You could do some major recoup by putting it back together and buying a beater 944 and starting over. And like AC sez, them Fuchs are worth serious money.

btwright
btwright New Reader
4/16/24 6:23 a.m.

All along, I thought all we needed was a net $2000. Year 2, I planned on selling the Fuchs to free $ so we could rebuild a more powerful engine + other go-fast bits. Our year 1 budget went into rebuilding the car without skipping a step (do it right once is cheaper than doing it half a$$ and fixing your mistakes). So now, we have some recoup left which changes our plan. 

It could be sell & build another. Or, we may have $600 to change the world and stay in GTN$. A great challenge, for sure. 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Publisher
4/22/24 9:48 a.m.

I heard there was a voicemail at the office asking for budget clarifications on a Challenge Porsche--was that from a while ago, or do you still need help?

This is the key section of the rules for your original question:

Net cost of the Challenge car and the parts on/in/attached to it must be equal to or less than $2000. Your purchase price of the Challenge car cannot exceed $2000. Transactions without receipts must be budgeted at fair market value. Up to $2000 may be recouped by selling parts originally included with or attached to the Challenge car, related parts car(s), or related parts packages at the time of purchase.

And remember, you can always remove items from the car (and then from your budget sheet). 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
G3qOWf625AtNr0sGCCHn7eJ5B9omvkX5palBzXuw6TSlUBpqtcTu77dK4Q1QJ6Tz