Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog HalfDork
8/14/10 10:33 p.m.

1970 Volvo 142S, Midnight blue/Tan cloth, 138xxx miles, B20 2.0 liter 4 cylinder, M40 4-speed transmission, IPD Weber carb Conversion and alloy rocker cover, 122 AM Radio in NOS Metra faceplate with Sony speaker and hidden antenna, Painted steelies with bullet centers and port-a-whites on cut front springs, 242 rear ¼ windows, Vintage fogs (not wired), Hella H4 headlights, 240 3 point front seat belts

New: heater hoses, control arm bushings, tie rods, ball joints, calipers and hoses, pads and rotors, u-joints, fuel filter, headlight relay, IPD exhaust, more I'm sure I'm forgetting.

The good: Its a great cruiser when its not 100 degrees out (no A/C or P/S). Drives straight but could use an alignment. Always starts even in the winter. Gets lots of looks and positive comments. Very comfortable seats with lots of adjustments. The paint is shot but has an awesome patina. Vintage plates.

The bad: The lack of overdrive makes it tiring on the highway. Doesn't like to idle, needs a choke cable. Mostly its the Weber which is why I bought the SU s that are available separately. I also have a suspicion the cam wasn't installed correctly by the PO. The timing gears knock-fix the cam timing while you're there. Also leaks oil from the pan but that also needs to be removed for the timing gear fix. Dome light doesn't work. Trunk struts are weak. Fan motor sometimes makes noise but works great. HAS RUST! Both doors are rusty in the jams but the 242 doors are a direct swap and get rid of the broken original vent wings to boot. Passenger rocker is perforated, some small holes in the floors (still VERY solid) and some surface rust on the front fenders. Some dents and dings, and the trunk lid is bent to hell like someone tried to close it on something (dead body? Swedish Mafia staff car?).

This is a 40 year old car. Could you daily drive it? Well yes. I've drove it every day for my 5 mile commute in the winter and spring with no unforeseen problems. Would I drive it 40 miles one way on the interstate? Hell no! This is best described as a driving project. You can do a bit at a time and still enjoy it as a car. Or drive it until it dies and then use it as yard art. Once the cash is in my hand its your choice, but this car has lots of life left in it and I'd rather see it go to a good home.

I'll sell the car for $1600. I have a lot of parts available separately including an M41 overdrive transmission, Dual SU carbs and manifold, spare Weber carb and manifold with jet kit, most of a D-jetronic injection system (was going to be a megasquirt conversion), 4 vintage Cragar 8 spoke 15x6 alloys, 242 doors and mirrors, 8 dog dish hubcaps, 240 rear springs and perches (easier to lower), NIB leather steering wheel wrap, RARE factory gas can that fits in the spare tire well, and more. Open to offers but I'm only selling to finance my V8 Miata project and don't need the money right away. T-56 and Caddy CTS rear wanted!

Located in Louisville, KY

Ian_F
Ian_F Reader
8/14/10 11:04 p.m.

Wish is was (but glad it's not) closer.

I'm curious about some of the other bits you have. The Crager mags? I'm almost certain 142's have a late-model 5x108 pattern and I didn't know Crager ever made wheels in that pattern

I'm always looking for a few D-Jet parts for spares, depending on what you have.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog HalfDork
8/23/10 6:05 p.m.

The "Cragars" are in the pic above. I'm not sure thats what they are but its what I was told on a forum so it must be true!

Someone on turbobricks asked if this could be driven cross country. I would, but then I'm nuts-it cruises at 65 so it would be a slow trip.

Open to trades with cash for something that runs. Small pickups or scooters preferred. Also need a Volvo M47 or M46 for a 240 in addition to the T56 and CTS-V rear end.

stan
stan GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/25/10 1:29 p.m.

Any shots of the rusty bits?

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog HalfDork
8/26/10 9:20 p.m.

SOLD!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mFR173WQf21FHyubF5TJSMMfbCIcF47Y6GdIHLLwHj8FVAqd9QmNCfuMUKSCBmBu