Bratspeed
Bratspeed New Reader
4/12/09 7:38 a.m.

’78 Buick Opel coupe (aka Opel Kadett C, Isuzu I Mark) SCCA GT 4 race car.

First the bad news: Rust, Rust and more Rust; Deep structural rust; in fact there is not single part of this car that is not deeply infected with the tin worm.

But now the good news

It has a wonderful 1.8l Isuzu G180, 4 cylinder, 8-valve SOHC engine. The engine turns freely, but has not been started in a year. It breathes through dual side draft SK Carburetors into a lynx manifold. (see my forum pic) The exhaust is a custom 4 into 1 free flowing number to a racing silencer before existing under the left side of the car ahead of the rear wheel.

The gearbox shifts freely, but the clutch is gone. The clutch plate is dry welded to the flywheel. The rear end has a welded diff. (or posi-traction LSD, not sure)

It has a well constructed but rusty, 8 point roll cage with NASCAR door bars. The cage bears the SCCA number 022 1233 or 022 1236, the last digit is hard to make out.

In the trunk is an ATL fuel cell, which may or not be refurbishable The car is completely plumbed with a fire suppression system (no bottle). The seat is ratty and destroyed. Windscreen is good, with lexan replacing the rest of the glass.

It rides on Centra 13” wheels, 4x100 bolt pattern wearing Bridgestone slicks that hold air. I have six wheels in total; three in each pattern.

I have no log books or records. I tried to track its history though the SCCA but their records from the early 90's are spotty. The cage number indicates that it was built into an SCCA GT 4 race car in approximately 1989. It has a DC region tech sticker on the wind shield but the handwriting has faded away.

So there is, it has some good components; I was going to build a Locost but have no time. photos on request

$500 obo

Regards

Bratspeed

Rusty_Rabbit84
Rusty_Rabbit84 Reader
4/12/09 11:42 a.m.

oh my god!! i need pictures!!! paul_hutton07@yahoo.com

Bratspeed
Bratspeed New Reader
4/12/09 2:34 p.m.

pictures sent

regards

Bratspeed

Bratspeed
Bratspeed New Reader
4/12/09 3:04 p.m.

ad is now in the classifieds as well, with pictures!

Bratspeed
Bratspeed New Reader
5/14/09 12:55 p.m.

It's still in my driveway!

Make me an offer, please

regards

Bratspeed

trigun7469
trigun7469 New Reader
5/14/09 4:58 p.m.

So tempting

mel_horn
mel_horn HalfDork
5/14/09 8:18 p.m.

Whoaaaah...

If the car is (IIRC) burnt orange in color (again, memory cells may have gone) it may have been Dave Roethel's car. He did well with the car and a friend of mine had a rivalry with him.

He was in DC region.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/15/09 5:56 a.m.

Is this the ride? (I think my "google foo" is on it this morning )

Bratspeed
Bratspeed New Reader
5/15/09 3:01 p.m.

That is the picture from the classifieds

I'll send more pictures to any one interested

The carbs and wheels are really nice!!!

regards

Bratspeed

Bratspeed
Bratspeed New Reader
6/3/09 10:46 a.m.

Sold!!!