1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 139
irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
4/12/12 3:22 p.m.

yeah, I would have had to cut it off too, except I just re-used it. I did get lucky that the old bearing didn't come apart though....is usually does on e30s.

I had a backing plate on the inside half of the inner race when pressing the hub back in, so made sure it didn't push in....that's one thing I remembered.

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
4/13/12 8:08 p.m.

so one little package today....a cheap secondhand shift light. Why? Not because I drag race or anything (hah, not with an M10). Mostly because I have a tendency to short-shift because I constantly overestimate what rpms I'm at (I do this in all my cars except the WRX for some reason), and I really hate boucing off the limiter since in many cases that's a waste of time. So having the light will let me stay in gear longer before shifting I think. Either way, it was cheap so if it ends up being worthless, no big loss. Will install tomorrow.

Max_Archer
Max_Archer New Reader
4/14/12 3:34 a.m.

Just gotta say, man, you're killing me with this thread!

I've got an E30 325is coupe with a decent drivetrain but trashed suspension, and now I'm thinking "why not rallycross suspension?"

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
4/14/12 8:05 a.m.

do it!

I have another little surprise coming soon :)

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
4/14/12 3:08 p.m.

Today went and picked up a spare fuel lifter pump from a local, and then did a quick install of my cheapo shift light. Install was easy, wiring was easy, etc. It works as it should. Very exciting, right? lol..

Then spent a couple hours helping a buddy de-mod his Legacy GT, in a rush since he needed to bring it to be traded in before 6 today 2 hours south in Richmond. Never swapped swaybars and a few other things so fast....

on a side note, this is virtually the exact car that I went looking to buy in '08, but I couldn't find one in a M/T....so I bought the WRX instead :)

carzan
carzan HalfDork
4/15/12 8:43 p.m.

Just wanted to point this out (from LeMons):

"There’s no decision involved in counting which team got the most laps, and this time that honor went to Duct Tape Motorsports and their BMW 318. Yes, a four-cylinder E30 beat more than 100 cars (including too many six-cylinder E30s to count) on a horsepower-friendly road course with lots of pedal-to-metal straights."

http://blog.caranddriver.com/lemons-real-hoopties-of-new-jersey-2012-the-winners/

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
4/15/12 9:34 p.m.

lol, nice. Yeah, but that's a 90-91 M42 car. About 50% more power/tq than my early M10 car.

Of course, my lack of an M42 will be remedied in the near future

carzan
carzan HalfDork
4/15/12 10:48 p.m.
irish44j wrote: lol, nice. Yeah, but that's a 90-91 M42 car. About 50% more power/tq than my early M10 car. Of course, my lack of an M42 will be remedied in the near future

Bah, what's an M42 but twin-cam M10 I still say you just need a little boost.

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
4/16/12 6:39 p.m.

boost wouldn't be all that useful for rallycross I don't think....

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/16/12 6:43 p.m.

I'll let you know about that...

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
4/18/12 5:22 p.m.

Got my new magnetics from izoomgraphics.com (where I've ordered car vinyl/magnetics for about a decade). I've always hated the red and white ones I have and wanted something that looks a bit better on the e30, and with the correct classing.

Sometimes you just gotta splurge on something nice rather than DIY'ing it, lol

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
4/19/12 9:48 p.m.

well, was really looking forward to 2 days of rallycross this weekend with a driver's school/test&tune on Saturday and competition on Sunday (and I have tomorrow-friday-off work). BUT it appears the weather isn't going to cooperate, with a 50/50 chance it will get cancelled tomorrow morning due to thunderstorms all weekend. Though, knowing the weather forecasters around here there's just as good a chance that it will snow, or be sunny and 80 degrees.

I have to say, it's a bit annoying that a rallycross gets cancelled for rain (what are we, NASCAR?) when the local autocrosses will undoubtedly run as usual, in the wet. That said, Summit Point rallycross course is all clay and I'm told that when it gets real wet it's bascially an ice rink and/or mud pit (or both) and the 2WD cars have serious problems. Not that I really care, I'd have a great time anyhow....and maybe I would be closer to the leaders, lol.....but if cancelled it will be rescheduled for the next week, so looks like I'll be doing honey-do projects around the house this weekend and will get to have another week of anticipation.

or it will happen. We'll see tomorrow.

IN the meantime, took some time to do some work on the other project car, the GT6. Haven't done anything on it since last summer, so feeling a bit bad :)

WHen I got the e30 momo steering wheel (a steal deal) I also picked up another Momo, classic-style in a slightly larger size, for the GT6. Needed to replace the crappy Mountney wheel currently on it, which is pretty flexy and I very much dislike. Only problem is the Momo won't fit the Mountney hub, and Momo doesn't make a hub these days that fits the small Triumphs, or at least I can't find any.

But, thanks to some tips from the guys on GRM, I found a place that makes hubs for the small Triumphs that fit Momo (and other 6-hole) steering wheels. So for about $75 got a great hub from Crowder's Customizing (in Summerville SC). Awesome quality and look, with the contact for the horn as well (which the Mountney was missing).

compared to the old Mountney

While I was at it, decided to rebuild the steering column, which had a bit of play in the bushings. I replaced the bushings last summer, but they're cheap aftermarket ones that didn't fit perfectly or snugly. I did some improvisation (no comment) and got everything snugged up, and now the steering feels good and tight.

And then re-installed everything and set up the new wheel. Sexy.

And since now I have a working horn button, decided to actually install some horns. Luckily last time at the junkyard I picked up a pair of stock BMW Fiamm horns (which I like the sound of). They fit perfectly in the GT6's stock mounting locations on left and right of the grille

for the wiring, I used some off of my spare e30 harness, lol.

The GT6 is a bit of a hassle to work on for a number of reasons, but one part of it that is AWESOME to work on is the engine bay......

Ian F
Ian F UberDork
4/20/12 7:54 a.m.

I just noticed your bonnet has been "Teglerized". I did that mod on the g/f's 1500 and the Spit 6 had bought from him already had them, but I still need to get struts for my car. Do you happen to recall the part numbers? Otherwise, I'll go digging through his site again.

Heh... I need a battery hold down for my car as well.

I do love those wheels... If the stars align, I may actually have some cash to go shopping at Carlisle this year... At first I wasn't planning to look for anything, but now I want a steering wheel and Minilites or Panasports.

Speaking of Calisle, any thoughts about going? We usualyl have a good number of cars at the NASS tent. I'd love to see yours there.

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
4/20/12 9:37 a.m.

yet, Teglerized is the word. I'll see if the shocks have a part number on them. I think they are the same ones he used - from a Subaru DL station wagon tailgate. I did have to do a bit more modification than he did, though, because my carbs and air filters stick out alot farther, so the right strut is moved to the inboard side of the wheelwell to clear it.

The wheels are Superlites, and they're staggered offset. I forget specifically what offsets, but they are pushed out more to the outside in the rear to settle the back of the car down. It has worked wonders for the handling, actually.

Isn't Carlisle next week? If so, no dice since the 2-day rallycross from this weekend just got postponed to next week. I'd like to spend this summer finishing the small things (and a few big things) on this car to raise its long-distance reliability. I don't entirely trust it yet!

Ian F
Ian F UberDork
4/20/12 10:07 a.m.

On my Spit 6 (where he installed the struts himself) they were very tight to the filters (OE box). I see your filters are a bit thicker. My car still has the OE box so I think it'll be ok.

Carlisle is next month - 5/17-20

If you wait until you "trust" it, you'll never take it anywhere. I don't really trust my car either, but I still made the 500+ mile drive to Watkins Glen and back with it last Fall.

I'm hoping to get a few things done to it as well. Mainly the Miata seats and a better stereo. I need to do a valve adjustment as well.

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
4/20/12 2:27 p.m.
Ian F wrote: I just noticed your bonnet has been "Teglerized". I did that mod on the g/f's 1500 and the Spit 6 had bought from him already had them, but I still need to get struts for my car. Do you happen to recall the part numbers? Otherwise, I'll go digging through his site again. Heh... I need a battery hold down for my car as well.

Here's the information on the strut pistons, below:

btw, I stole the battery tie-down last winter for the e30's trunk battery mount. Just gotta cut another piece of angle aluninum and some threaeded rod and it'll be back in :)

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
4/20/12 2:35 p.m.

I know it's gonna rain all weekend (btw, the event is postponed til next weekend), but felt like it was a good day to do a wash and wax and cruise for a bit, since was cleaning the other cars anyhow. Plus this car probably hasn't been waxed in a decade and I want to protect the so-so paint as well as possible.

look not bad, eh? yeah, probably looks the same in photos, lol

then went and hit the backwoods roads in Clifton, Va. Including the famous "Bunnyman Bridge" rail tunnel. Which of course as soon as I got out to take a pic someone came down the road and had to wait for me, haha.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/20/12 3:10 p.m.

Love the phantom stripes.

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
4/20/12 5:08 p.m.

Today: PROJECT DEAD PEDAL

SInce I took the carpet out, the stock "dead pedal" is gone. This is a problem since in rallycross I need someplace to brace my foot and right now the only two options are to keep it on the clutch pedal (NO!) or to realy extend my leg to the firewall (also not a good option).

So, time for the "Free Dead Pedal Mod"

Parts: 3 pairs of nuts and bolts, some 2" steel bar, and some sheet metal. A bit of bending, a bit of drilling (and using the bolt for my inner mudflaps, and it's done. I templated it in cardboard to make sure that the placement doesn't interfere with the clutch pedal use, but is close enough to make quick foot transitions. Tested it out by kicking it really hard and pushing it with all my strength. Doesn't move an inch.

bracket

finished

I'm also going to go pick up one of the foam stomp pads that come with Ride snowboard bindings (at the ski shop I work at), so give the dead pedal a bit of grip rather than smooth metal.

CLynn85
CLynn85 Reader
4/20/12 5:09 p.m.
irish44j wrote:

It's a shame that road doesn't continue on somewhere. I was looking at some really old maps of that area a while back and it kept going on past where it turns into a private drive many eons ago. Apparently continued all the way to the river and then had another route out a different direction.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Reader
4/20/12 5:13 p.m.

Should dead pedals be even with The clutch height wise or just somewhere comfortable? Is there a 'proper' dead pedal setup?

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
4/20/12 5:13 p.m.
CLynn85 wrote:
irish44j wrote:
It's a shame that road doesn't continue on somewhere. I was looking at some really old maps of that area a while back and it kept going on past where it turns into a private drive many eons ago. Apparently continued all the way to the river and then had another route out a different direction.

Thankfully, Clifton and Fairfax Station still have a nice variety of roads to have fun on. I remember coming across the bridge about 20 years ago in college, out driving the GT6 with 2 buddies, all of us having had some drinks at "the misty fields" (the big soccer field area). And back then it was all graffiti'd up, and really spooky in the middle of the night when lost in Clifton, haha...

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
4/21/12 5:46 p.m.

Driving around today I managed to spill an entire large McDonald's soda all over myself and the car. AWESOME. not.

In any other car, this would be a major issue, but of course not in a rallycross beater. That said, can't have a bunch of sticky crap all over everything. And of course I bedliner'd the entire floor of the car. So, did the Jeep-style washdown. And got a ton of dirt out of it at the same time.

Also drilled some new drain holes (with plugs) since the places BMW put the drain holes are not where the water goes, lol

Left the drainholes open, though, since we're supposed to get 2-3" of rain in the next 24 hours, and I'm not totally confident that I took care of all the leaks in the car. Guess we'll see.

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/22/12 7:35 p.m.
irish44j wrote: I'm also going to go pick up one of the foam stomp pads that come with Ride snowboard bindings (at the ski shop I work at), so give the dead pedal a bit of grip rather than smooth metal.

I use skateboard grip tape on my clutch/brake pedals. It might also go well on the dead pedal. The car is looking great!

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
4/23/12 6:57 p.m.

Post-rain inspection. It's been raining heavy for about 2 full days now, with the e30 parked on the street (so as not to get any tree branches on it!). Happy to say that my sealing and prepping and weatherproofing of the interior seems to have worked. Not a drop anywhere in the passenger compartment (this after a small rainstorm used to leave a good puddle in the floorpan).

Unfortunately, the trunk didn't fare as well. I located three leak areas: the upper trunk seal (which was not very tight on the lip) and both taillights (which had visible runs of water coming down from both of them).

For the upper seal pulled it off, tightened up the clamping areas, and then put some black silicone in the slot and reinstalled (after thorough cleaning of all of it).

For the lights pulled them out to find that virtually the entire foam seal was wet, and clearly not sealing. It's supposed to rain more and I don't have new seals (nor do I want to waste the money on them), so busted out some bathroom caulk (in white, lol).

cleaned everything up, and put the gaskets on low heat in the oven for 10 minutes to dry them out. In the mean time, threw down a bead on the housing

foam seal back on top of that

and a bead on the outside

and reassembled everything. Yeah, real exciting stuff, right? lol....

1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 139

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fi07UWW3RszJtGRisdYCtmMTt0EubH9MriGrKYtI55MEmS3qV0YeVq7OoaVDrxti