1 ... 3 4 5
buzzboy
buzzboy Reader
6/11/17 9:45 a.m.

It's getting soaked and washed and soaked and washed a few times. It spins pretty nicely now. Not crusty at all.

buzzboy
buzzboy Reader
6/22/17 5:54 a.m.

I went to remove the dead weight of the ignition cylinder and got confused. I guess the bolts don't have heads? Gotta slot em yourself

I've come to decide that while the car is completely apart I should paint everything. Pedals and steering look way better in black than rust.

buzzboy
buzzboy Reader
6/30/17 9:34 p.m.

How do people fit non BPs in miatas? Somehow my OHV volvo engine is going to be way taller than the OHC miata engine. I needed 17" of clearance to the top of this rod and I get 17.5" barely. That's only leaving me ~1/2" between the oil pan and the steering rack. Plenty of width though

buzzboy
buzzboy Reader
7/2/17 11:56 a.m.

These engine mounts look ghetto but I think they'll work. I didn't get to finish burning in the chassis side as I ran out of wire. They'll get a little more boxing in as well.

buzzboy
buzzboy Reader
7/16/17 6:37 p.m.

Let's B20 swap a Subaru today!

We don't have clearance Clarence

Step 1: Sawzall. Step 2: ???? Step 3: Profit

I'm sure it'll fit in there, I took enough measurements

[wipes sweat away] Pshwew

Somehow the starter, exhaust and intake all fit

Due to how the miata cross member, B20 engine mounts, steering rack and oil pan all jive together this is as far forward as I could push the engine. Everything fits and I can take the valve cover off so I guess it's a win.

buzzboy
buzzboy Reader
8/6/17 11:39 a.m.

Now I'll try it with the tranny

That tiny little M40 fits in the miata tunnel easy

Here's a happy little accident. The shifter lines up with the existing hole!

Sadly it looks like the drivetrain is crooked slightly so I'll have to remedy that.

Next step is to build a transmission crossmember. I'm wondering if I can tie it into the front subframe and make the engine/trans/subframe a one piece unit I can drop out of the car.

buzzboy
buzzboy Reader
8/26/17 9:36 p.m.

It feels really good to see the engine/trans in the car without a jack or crane holding up any one part. Built a very simple 2" square tube transmission crossmember and tweaked the drivetrain straight with the chassis.

Time to blow it apart one last time(I hope) and paint everything. Hopefully soon I can have the first attempted fire up.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
9/18/19 9:18 p.m.

Looking for an update.  What ever happened to this one?

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
9/18/19 9:24 p.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy :

The torsen and steering wheel are in my car.

buzzboy
buzzboy HalfDork
9/19/19 6:56 a.m.
Indy-Guy said:

I screwed up building the engine(won't spin) and ended up moving and changing jobs. I parted it out and scrapped the shell. Still have the non-turning B20 in my garage that I need to sell. Sad times but it is what it is.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
9/19/19 7:37 a.m.
buzzboy said:
Indy-Guy said:

I screwed up building the engine(won't spin) and ended up moving and changing jobs. I parted it out and scrapped the shell. Still have the non-turning B20 in my garage that I need to sell. Sad times but it is what it is.

When we cross paths again I'll take that B20 off your hands at whatever you feel a fair price is.  

buzzboy
buzzboy HalfDork
9/19/19 9:22 p.m.

It's got some great parts with too tight of a thrust bearing. Fresh B18 head decked 0.050 with new valves, springs, seats, guides, valve job. Block is bored to 3.515 bore for the 0.015 pistons. Cam is an isky with the ridiculous specs of 280/280 108lob seperation. I've got a dual sidedraft manifold for it.

It was going to be a really fun and fast car. I'd love to even drive an Amazon or 544 with that engine.

1 ... 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zXndgMWIBLi6yTdFB77GsLiv15RhHoWBREeUDHRcRMrMliuZhq4cWjVi4XrEFFDX