1 2 3 4
Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/19/24 4:28 p.m.

I'm sure this will come as a surprise to almost no one, but after putting all that time and work into the green car, along with almost zero effort put into selling it (just an ad here on GRM and a sign in the window), I took a ride to the DMV this afternoon. 

Behold! My new daily driver. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
7/20/24 10:47 p.m.

Today was my first day out in the car for real. 

The air conditioning remains ice cold. I'm very happy about that.

The seats are among the best I've ever owned, and this includes Volvos and Porsches. They're better than the ones in the 2014 and 2022 Accords that we've owned, as well.

I did notice a subtle clunking from the right front while slowing down in a straight line. The noise reminded me of when I installed heim jointed sway bar end links in one of my Miatas. I hated them from the very first ride and removed them immediately. They would have been acceptable on a race car, but were horrible on the street.

When I got back home, I removed the right front end link. It was original to the car, and came apart as I was removing it. I went for a test drive and the noise was gone, confirming my suspicion.

I ordered a pair of replacement links from Advance Auto and will swap them in tomorrow.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
7/21/24 6:42 p.m.

Well, there's the problem...

The passenger side link wasn't in two pieces as it sat on the car, but it fell apart as I was removing it.

I swapped in a pair of new end links and took the car for a two hour drive. No more clunks. Problem solved. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
7/31/24 10:41 a.m.

I'm thinking about changing the front shocks on the green car. Just some new daily driver quality shocks, preferably fully assembled drop in units with new stock springs. Any suggestions?

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/31/24 10:59 a.m.

When my mom's 2007 Civic needed a suspension refresh, I picked up a set of KYBs from Rock Auto. They did the job and were well priced. 

I am sure they have them for the Accord as well.

glueguy (Forum Supporter)
glueguy (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/31/24 12:11 p.m.

Love the concept of loaded struts.  I think for a daily I would look at Rock Auto and then either go that route or part number shop.  I'm not sure there will be enough difference to discern and any will be much better than the current worn out ones.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
7/31/24 12:20 p.m.

In reply to Slippery :

KYB from Rock Auto was my plan, but I don't see them listed there for a 2010 Accord V6 sedan. I'm not familiar with a bunch of the other brand names that they have there. 

Slippery
7/31/24 12:34 p.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

I see them:

HotNotch
HotNotch Reader
7/31/24 12:40 p.m.

I did a full set of 4 KYB loaded struts on SWMBO's 2010 Accord Coupe, and she had about 15k miles on them before we ended up selling it with no issues whatsoever.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
7/31/24 2:58 p.m.
Slippery said:

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

I see them:

I swear, those weren't there this morning. I did see the ones for the coupe though.  

Thanks!

Woody (Forum Supportum)
7/31/24 7:43 p.m.

I ordered the KYBs from Rock Auto. No ETA at this point though.

I watched some videos and installation doesn't seem too bad. I'm looking forward to this upgrade.  

Slippery
8/2/24 11:32 a.m.

You will be happy with the KYBs. 

I see your Accord has a completely different front suspension from my mom's '07 Civic, yours being double wishbone, but there was a bushing on her lower control arm that had failed on both sides and made a world of difference once swapped. When you are in that area check yours to see if it is in good condition, you can easily see if it failed once you remove the wheel. 

This would be the bushing on your car:

Woody (Forum Supportum)
8/2/24 12:04 p.m.

In reply to Slippery :

Wow... thanks. I'll look into that.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
8/8/24 6:52 p.m.

New KYB shock/spring assemblies arrived a few days ago, but it was too hot to tackle the job. It's cooler now, but motivation has been low.  I did go as far as moving the car inside, so at least there's that. 

One thing's for sure though: the more I drive this car, the more I wonder how hard it would be to swap these seats into my new Integra. The Accord EX-L seats are ridiculously good, and these are as good or better than the two subsequent generations. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
8/9/24 7:37 p.m.

Still no progress on the shock installation, but I swapped in a new sun visor and polished out a pretty crusty headlight today. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
8/9/24 7:40 p.m.

This was much worse than it looked in the pictures. I really didn't think that I could save this one.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
8/17/24 9:54 p.m.

Green car  

Removed and replaced without disconnecting a single ball joint!

Woody (Forum Supportum)
8/17/24 10:33 p.m.

I owe this guy an online beer:

2008-2012 Accord front strut removal

Woody (Forum Supportum)
9/18/24 7:12 p.m.

One of the wheels on the green car was badly curbed and had a slow leak along the inside of the bead at one of the wheel weights. I casually searched for a decent set of replacement wheels for a few months, but couldn't find four good ones in one place. I finally caved it and bought a refurb'd wheel off of eBay for $166 shipped.  I had the tire and TPMS sensor swapped over for $35. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
x7HzIr6k97qYoOb0JHxDt3iHiWcNMOSdyFdFMaR5NOO7CGyOX3t1YcKZFBqoFoI1