Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/17/15 8:52 p.m.
bgkast wrote: I don't have a 32mm socket to get the axle bolts off

For future reference:

32mm = 1.25984 inches

ssswitch
ssswitch HalfDork
7/17/15 9:50 p.m.

32mm is the same axle nut as most Subarus, so at least you're in pretty good company. Drive down a residential street until you see two guys chugging Monsters and badly tuning an engine and ask them if they have a spare axle socket.

Woody's right in that a 1.25" socket is just a hair off and will probably work, but in Canada it's easier to find the 32mm at any parts/tool store (including Lowes, surprisingly enough).

Some oil filters like the ones for Ecotecs are 32mm as well, but I doubt you'll find an oil filter wrench that will hold up to axle nut torque.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/17/15 10:34 p.m.

In reply to Woody:

I don't own many SAE tools. I do own a set of large deep well metric sockets now though.

bgkast
7/22/15 11:18 a.m.

I needed the Saab back on the road so I can transport a bunch of kids to scout camp tomorrow so I put in a long wrenching session last night and got the car on the ground about 1 am. The car now has good axles with new CV grease and boots, a new carrier bearing, and new inner drivers for the tripod bearings. I also hit some surface rust on the struts with POR-15 while I was in there. I lost a bunch of transmission oil when the axles were out, and when I went to drain the remaining fluid the drain plug was not cooperating so I just eyeballed the drain pan and topped it off with a quart of MTL. Good enough.

No more vibrations!

bgkast
7/23/15 12:44 a.m.

This car has a great sense of humor. After all the work I did on it I "test drove" it to work. No problems. The axles were the last bit of deferred maintenance it needed. When I went to start it after work it pops up message on the display "service due". Hahaha car, very funny. Haven't you been serviced enough?

ssswitch
ssswitch HalfDork
7/23/15 10:22 a.m.

Nah, you've given it a taste of the good life now, and it has become rich and spoiled on your largesse.

bgkast
8/3/15 12:33 a.m.

Semi-successful day at the pick-n-pull. I found a few small bits and bolts to replace ones that were missing or mismatched on the car. I also found this nice "heater control valve" for $7 that is really billet upgraded bypass valve.

ssswitch
ssswitch HalfDork
8/3/15 12:37 a.m.

Is that the Forge valve? I would be over the moon to see one of those in a junkyard turbo Saab.

bgkast
8/3/15 12:43 a.m.

No manufacturer markings on it. It doesn't seem to look like a forge or any other "common" aftermarket upgrade. I would guess it's a china knockoff. I did a data-log of boost for a 0-80 pull before and after and it looks to work exactly like the stock one, but it's shinier...and er heavier.

I also picked up a spare air-box so I can try the modification that Rusted_Busted_Spit suggested.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/3/15 7:43 a.m.

I continue to love this thread! Keep up the good work.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/3/15 9:08 a.m.

The Forge I put on my car had a smooth body, but that was many years ago. The only reason I put it on the car was because I blew out the diaphragm on the stock Bosh one after I put the MBC on the car so I figured replace it once and be done.

ssswitch
ssswitch HalfDork
8/3/15 1:20 p.m.

The Forges usually have coloured springs, don't they? It's not like it would be impossible for the clone to have the same but I'd be surprised if the Saab market is big enough for them to get those details right.

bgkast
8/3/15 2:18 p.m.

One of the screws I replaced yesterday was for the driver's front turn signal. I guess I didn't get it tight enough because the blinker became airborn on my drive in to work. The wires kept it from ending up roadkill.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
8/3/15 3:38 p.m.

Have you picked up a spare DIC yet? If not I would do that from the JY along with the four bolts that hold it in. The first time I did the spark plugs in my 9-3 I did not get one of the bolts tight enough, it was like $8 from the dealer so now I keep spares.

bgkast
8/3/15 5:59 p.m.

Yep, I have 3 spares but two of them are on loan to my Saab neighbor.

bgkast
8/4/15 1:29 a.m.

Here's what the guts look like. Of course when I took it apart the o ring that seals the top crumbled.

Stock one back on for now.

ssswitch
ssswitch HalfDork
8/4/15 8:32 p.m.

Ooooof. Sorry about that.

It looks like the Forge knockoff described here: http://www.saablink.net/forum/tsl-members-saab-pics/85098.htm

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/4/15 8:58 p.m.

Parkrose Hardware will probably have the O-rings you need.

bgkast
8/5/15 12:11 p.m.

Looks like it is a Mode valve or a very convincing knock off:

http://www.modeincparts.com/index_files/MODE_Boost_Valves_V0209.pdf

I have an email in to mode to see if I can get a rebuild kit. They have a lifetime warranty. These things retail for over $100, or $130 if you buy the same valve for a Porsche.

Plan B was McMaster Carr. Good suggestion on Parkrose hardware.

bgkast
8/5/15 1:01 p.m.

Looks like they will send me a new set of O rings for $5. Great!

Burrito
Burrito Dork
8/5/15 1:09 p.m.

Result! I was going to offer you some Glue Factory Spec O-Rings, but for a fiver it ain't even worth the hassle.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
8/5/15 1:40 p.m.

Very good.

PseudoSport
PseudoSport Dork
8/5/15 3:14 p.m.

Does your stock Bosch bypass valve have a metal piston inside instead of plastic? If so it might be worth selling to recoup some budget once the Mode valve is fixed.

bgkast
8/5/15 3:31 p.m.

No, it's all plastic with a rubber diaphragm. I could probably sell it for more than what I paid for the upgraded unit and the rebuild kit though.

bgkast
8/10/15 7:11 p.m.

Mode valve re-built and re-installed. There is a Saab BBQ in Seattle on the 22nd, and tuner Mike D will be there. I'm planning on heading up and getting a $50 stage 1 tune on this beast. BOOOOOOOST

1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1yY9BQzSbPUlnwWLTShAEpaibNIrU7AH18Z6LrejtcEGTdGVaDhHdvoHQQoXTwtV