03Panther
03Panther New Reader
1/19/20 6:07 a.m.

Since it is apparently a tradition to start a build thread before getting it home...

I'm on my way this morning (after working last night) to figure out how to load this rusty junker up to drag it home. I think this is going to be a case of something free getting expensive!

Hey, if I get him to PAY me to haul it off, can I start that as a negative budget for a challenge build?

I have a dodge Dakota that is willing to donate a frame for a rat rod, but if anyone here is a huge Dodge PU fan, and would like to come check it out after I get it home, let me know. I'd be glad to not get the fun of working on it. Ya might save my marriage, too!

The guy says the rear brakes are locked up, so I'll havta pull them, and I'm told some large chevy luge wheels I have should fit the front for loading on the trailer.

We'll see. Wish me luck. ( or pray I'm smart enough to walk away!!!! )

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/19/20 6:23 a.m.

That's pretty cool and it's in decent shape at least. Don't forget the gas station picture. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
1/19/20 6:41 a.m.

Thank God you're in Alabama. If you were any closer i think I'd be screwed. 

03Panther
03Panther New Reader
1/19/20 6:53 a.m.

Not sure on condition yet.. gotta wait till after church to go look at now. Looks like doors are pretty rusty. Might only be held together with spiderwebs!

Cooter
Cooter UltraDork
1/19/20 7:14 a.m.

[insert obligitory Tow Mater image here]

[/Mater]

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/19/20 7:40 a.m.

Just do it, he "Pilothouse Cab" is roomy as hell.  My '52 got T Boned by an old man, bent the frame so I put it on a 1987 3/4 ton frame.  318, 727, Dana 60, HEAT!

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
1/19/20 9:52 a.m.

I always liked those trucks.  Back in the 1960s my cousin put a 392 Chysler Hemi engine in one.

I suggest building a hot rod instead of a rat rod.

03Panther
03Panther New Reader
1/19/20 1:22 p.m.

I should explain; my terminology is more old school... to me a rat rod is a hot rod thrown together with whatever ya have on hand...not intentionally seeing how fugly you can make something by loading it down with as much crap as can be, or adding fake “patina”

a “jalopy,” to go real old school. Way to broke for the modern show car hot rod!

03Panther
03Panther New Reader
1/19/20 2:30 p.m.

Got called in to work, and my better half wants me to cook her a steak, so I haven’t looked at it yet, but I’m gonna try before dark. 

I plan to leave it on the trailer for a while, in case someone here wants it. Be a while before I could mess with it at all, and I don’t think being outside will make it worse!

my Dakota is still in VA at a friends place, but all I would prolly do is fab up some body mounts so she’d roll, and let the next owner finish as they like. Be glad to sell her to anyone that wanted to pretty it up. Course free to whoever before I do anything. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
1/19/20 2:30 p.m.

I didn't say anything about a modern show car...my point is that rust is not patina.  It doesn't have to be perfect, but it doesn't have to be half assed either.

03Panther
03Panther New Reader
1/19/20 2:54 p.m.

I was only referring to the modern standard  of what people think of rat rod. I’ve got to learn to not say that. 

‘Course all I can afford is half-azz these days! So I might have ta!!

Dave
Dave Reader
1/19/20 3:12 p.m.

Front glass looks good. That is unusual.

Agent98
Agent98 Reader
1/19/20 5:36 p.m.

"....Start 'er up, her name's Christine...."

Seriously: Great HotRod Truck project! 

03Panther
03Panther New Reader
1/19/20 7:28 p.m.

Well, the good news is.. too much came up today to get out there till 4:00. I was gonna go look first (only 1/2 hr away)but didn’t reach him. Started getting the rims off and old project to be able to load it on the trailer, and getting trailer ready. He called me back at 5:30.... somebody had gotten it. 

Guess I started an early thread a bit to early! I knew I was going out there first thing in am, but my fault to letting life get in the way

Sorry to do that to y’all. That bothers me more than not getting it!

03Panther
03Panther New Reader
1/19/20 7:30 p.m.

How do I get the moderators to move this out of projects, not that it’s just rambling, and no build?

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/19/20 9:33 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Thank God you're in Alabama. If you were any closer i think I'd be screwed. 

I was going to post this exact same comment.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5wlOy0zqL2fLUkjVUqUXw4dwly3X7kCMyolpKqgyP0GNwvjD1fYqOD3DjGrIfwuI