I'm gonna need more

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi PowerDork
7/15/17 7:36 p.m.

Yeah buddy

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
7/15/17 8:05 p.m.

I like the way you have started this thread.

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
7/15/17 10:41 p.m.

I for one hope he manages to do the whole thread like that.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UltraDork
7/16/17 9:16 a.m.

If that currently has the 2.0L in it with a carb and you don't need the engine I could use the distributor and some of the engine electronics from it.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 SuperDork
7/16/17 12:55 p.m.

Looks like fun! If I remember correctly you and I live pretty close. Give a shout if you ever need a second set of hands.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/16/17 1:00 p.m.
BlueInGreen44 wrote: Looks like fun! If I remember correctly you and I live pretty close. Give a shout if you ever need a second set of hands.

Same. Looks like a fun little project.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
7/16/17 3:27 p.m.

I should probably keep an eye on this one. I've been thinking about doing one for a while but for how common the swap is solid, detailed, objective information on it seems to be shockingly scarce.

einy
einy HalfDork
7/16/17 5:29 p.m.
BrokenYugo wrote: ... but for how common the swap is solid, detailed, objective information on it seems to be shockingly scarce.

I'll second this statement.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
7/16/17 5:39 p.m.

Let me know if you are interested in a set of V8 style swap mounts for a cheap price. I switched over to 2.8 V6 style mounts since I didn't like how the engine sat.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
7/16/17 6:53 p.m.
einy wrote:
BrokenYugo wrote: ... but for how common the swap is solid, detailed, objective information on it seems to be shockingly scarce.
I'll second this statement.

Right?

So far I've ascertained that:

1. Despite the 4.3 being gen 1 SBC based it is not a direct swap, stock SBC mount bosses are so far forward they'd be halfway off the front of the block on a 4.3, so GM moved them back on the 90* Chevy V6. You'd have to section the firewall something like 4-5 inches back for that to work, might be worth it for handling though, going that way I think C4 corvette brackets drop right over the 2.8 frame mounts.

2. The different swap mount adapter solutions apparently all put the engine in a different place. This also dictates header selection, if you want to go cheap with manifolds, IDK, no solid info. I'm guessing the "V8" style flat plate adapters that tell you to use 70s passenger car mounts and clamshells don't maintain factory engine position, since the instructions that come with them want you to bash the leading edge of the trans tunnel a whole 2 inches up, in a vehicle already designed to accept a SBC trans. I'm not sure how oilpan-crossmember clearance plays into this, I wouldn't think it's an issue.

3. The NV3500 in the 5 speed/4.3 trucks will hold up ok (which makes sense, GM also put them in V8 fullsize half tons).

4. The smaller 7 5/8 rear end will hold up ok with street tires, the bigger 8.5 inch axle is so rare that an Exploder 8.8 is probably the easier path. Most of the 8.5 axles are wide anyways (S10s got like 3 different axle widths depending on options and 4WD vs 2WD 4x4 is wider)

5. The 4.3 radiator should work OK but IDK about the fan situation, I think you have to come up with a pusher fan if you keep the stock rad position.

EDIT:Revised to remove ranting.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/16/17 9:31 p.m.

I'd like to continue the whole "this and that" theme, but it would be too difficult to discuss things.

A little background on "That" S-10. (Naming it "That" may stick)

Found it on Craigslist in Northern Georgia. My brother scoped it out for me and my Dad towed it up here to Michigan. It had a 350 in it previously and came with everything but the motor and trans. Sounds good right?

Well, the V8 install looks like a home brew or really shady kit. Plates are welded to the frame, the crossmember has been modified, and the floor has see some serious hammering.

Heater box is gone as is all the duct work etc under the dash. Wiring is a mess. A remote Ford solenoid has been installed along with an bunch of extra wiring. Looks like a push button start and extra kill switch? The rods in the column are gone, looks like the igntion switch is too.

Fuel tank held in by one loose strap, one traction bar is broken and rusted though...very weird. The rest of the truck is very rust free. 7.625 diff w/3.73. Its either welded or has a spool, rear locks up when you try to turn. Made pushing it tough. Had to jack it up and swing the back around to get it in the garage. Will pull the cover and see for sure whats happening in there.

Massive Mallory fuel filter (not a pump) and huge braided lines run up front. Radiatior and fans very undersized and poorly mounted. Lots of parts to make an exhaust though.

From what I can tell, the truck started life in California. I found a computer and harness under the dash that only a California emission car would have. More stuff to remove and figure out what the last guy did...

V8S10.org and S10V8.com seem to have some pretty good info and parts. The 2WD can use a 'regular' oil pan and an mid 80's Corvette raditor seems to be the ticket for cooling. I hope my stuff works out.

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
7/17/17 2:53 a.m.

Manifolds that ended up being what I decided on for the Bravada (4wd frame 2wd converted v8 swapped S10 blazer with cheap leather) are I think 3rd gen f-body manifolds. The mounts I got from S10V8.com put the engine way to the passenger side in an attempt to make room for a header on the driver side. This unfortunately makes no room for anything on the passenger side and causes a valve cover/heater box collision on my setup. I also had to grind a bit off of their mount to make it fit with the cheap stock replacement 2.8 frame side mounts I got. Not sure which part caused the interference issue. I probably won't use them as they are depending on what happens when I try round with 2 of the driveshaft situation.

Of course my 4wd frame has very little to do with your 2wd so the mounts are different.

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
7/17/17 8:46 a.m.

A good friend and his dad have built 12 v8 s10's, hes a bit old to be internet savvy but hes always good for a question. Hes also how i learned a carb backfire(truck was cold) will send enough shock through the nv to blow the ten bolt all over the pavement.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
7/17/17 3:14 p.m.

I'll be watching with interest. I've always been fond of the S10s. I just haven't had the right deal come along quite yet.

Gearheadotaku
7/18/17 10:02 p.m.

Progress over the last few days:

Craigslist score, Mallory CD box and Coil. Probably overkill but why not?

Engine ready for heads

heads ready for... oh berkley, whats that? two broken intake bolts

Luckily they came out easy.

My icecube tray lifter organizer rides again!

All set for now. Still need to find a manfold and paint it, but did score a 750cfm quadrajet on the cheap.

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS HalfDork
7/19/17 5:01 a.m.

I'm a reader on this one.

Any idea what year range block and head type that came with the truck?

einy
einy HalfDork
7/19/17 6:36 a.m.

Seeing that V8 kind of makes me want to get one for my garage, even if I don't have an immediate need to use it in a project right at this very second.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/19/17 6:47 a.m.

Why not keep this

in this

..and a few of these to make it handle?

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/19/17 8:02 a.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote:

This picture has me reconsidering my offer to help you on this project.

Gearheadotaku
7/19/17 9:15 p.m.

In reply to 914Driver:

The '71 was just a delivery truck, not a parts donor. It would be way to expensive to Challenge despite my desire for it.

Gearheadotaku
7/19/17 9:17 p.m.
TIGMOTORSPORTS wrote: I'm a reader on this one. Any idea what year range block and head type that came with the truck?

The S-10 was without drivetrain. Using a 1975 350 4-bolt from a G20 van. Unknown cam and pistons unless Patrick can remember. Heads are Vortech from a 1996 pickup.

Gearheadotaku
7/19/17 9:18 p.m.
einy wrote: Seeing that V8 kind of makes me want to get one for my garage, even if I don't have an immediate need to use it in a project right at this very second.

thats sort of how I ended up with mine.

Gearheadotaku
7/19/17 9:23 p.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote:
BlueInGreen44 wrote: Looks like fun! If I remember correctly you and I live pretty close. Give a shout if you ever need a second set of hands.
Same. Looks like a fun little project.

Ok guys, you're on. Planning a junkyard run very early Saturday morning into Detroit(be there by 8) and another on Sunday in Pontiac at 10. Wouldn't object to someone riding shotgun either, or both days. Could use a hand in the garage both afternoons to drop the gas tank and bleed the brakes. There are things to clean, bearings to be packed, and beer to be drunk.

Gearheadotaku
7/19/17 9:25 p.m.

a couple of more 'before' pictures. Much jankyer than it looks and oddly covered in oil.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
w8OGraxI1iP82xnSyyMqvei90tZHArV806Q61wKvvllZRtZJJ8jEfQPY8ibW39BJ