1 2
Matt330LS
Matt330LS New Reader
9/25/20 10:35 a.m.

In reply to bgkast (Forum Supporter) :

In addition to checking your bolt assembly and firing pin you may have to get a heavier hammer spring, especially if you're using ammo with hard primers.

bgkast (Forum Supporter)
bgkast (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/25/20 8:26 p.m.

Thanks. If the modified or new pin don't do the trick I'll try a heavier spring .

bgkast (Forum Supporter)
10/9/20 5:01 p.m.

I finally got back out to the woods to re-test. My modified firing pin worked better than it did originally, but still had some light strikes. I dropped in the enhanced firing pin and it solved the issue, it now fires and feeds reliably. The last issue to fix is the side charging handle loosening after a full mag. I tried using a longer screw with a lock washer, but still had the issue. I'm thinking about loc-tite, but the handle needs to be removed for disassembly and cleaning.

bgkast (Forum Supporter)
10/9/20 8:37 p.m.

Also parts are also trickling in for the next build! The goal is a quality, but budget built  mid to long range range distance rifle in AR10 7.62x51 flavor.

I've been shopping for deals and sales. So far I have a blemished Aero M5E1 upper, Aero M5 enhanced 15 inch hand guard, 20 inch stainless fluted Ballistic Advantage Barrel, Aero M5 lower and a trigger group from forum member AnthonyGS.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UberDork
10/9/20 11:14 p.m.

Haven't ever bought from Bear Creek Arsenal (thinking about snagging a Grendel from them though) but I've browsed their website, reviews, and FAQ enough times to know, that they don't use Loctite on any of their uppers.  They expect the customer to inspect, clean, and Loctite their products.  They claim that when they did Loctite stuff back in the day, they got too many complaints.  So, now they get complaints for not using Loctite. laugh

When you bought your upper from Bear Creek, was it shipped in a discrete box, or did it have their logo or pictures of ARs all over the box?

bgkast (Forum Supporter)
10/10/20 10:17 a.m.

In reply to bigdaddylee82 :

Just a plain brown box. Good to know about the loctite. I'll put some on the handguard screws as well.

bgkast (Forum Supporter)
10/15/20 9:17 p.m.

I got the AR10 lower put together and mocked up the upper and optic:

She's a big girl, but pretty good looking. My original plan was to replace the cheap A2 grip and stock with wood parts like this:

I still might eventually, but for now I kinda like the all black look.

I am still waiting for the gas system, bolt and muzzle brake to come in, as well as some smaller magazines. The 50 round drum is awesome, but heavy. 

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) UltraDork
10/15/20 9:50 p.m.

50 rounds of ,308 would present a problem. Hard to aim with 30lbs in the gun. 

bgkast (Forum Supporter)
10/15/20 10:32 p.m.

In reply to barefootskater (Shaun) :

True, it's more of a novelty, but thought I would get one while you still can. 

I have a couple of 20 round waffle mags on the way for more reasonable weight.

bgkast (Forum Supporter)
10/15/20 10:41 p.m.

A quick calculation and it looks like the loaded drum would weight 4.5 lbs alone, and 13.5 lbs with the rifle.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UberDork
10/16/20 3:03 p.m.

You inspired me bgkast, or at least you share the blame. laugh

I've got 4x stripped lowers in the safe (3 without a purpose) ~2500 rounds of 7.62x39, and only the one WASR-10 to shoot it all, so I decided I needed an AR-47 more than I need a Grendel.  Bear Creek annoyed me with their prices fluctuating every day, and not offering a bolt unless you buy a complete upper (purely personal and subjective taste, but I'm not wild the angle on the front of all fo their handguards either) so I went with an AR Stoner barrel and BCG from Midway, and a hodgepodge of other parts from various places.  Still waiting on the stripped upper from AIM, but I should have everything to throw together a real mutt of an AR-47 soon. 

I got 4x AR Stoner 30 round 7.62x39 AR mags from Midway too, they were on sale.  Have you shot yours enough to decide if the AR Stoner or C Products mags are any better than one another?

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
10/16/20 3:07 p.m.

So what does it do at 100yards?  This may be a more reasonable approach than the AR10 in 308 I  have been hankering to build with a 20" heavy barrell.

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
10/16/20 3:13 p.m.

I love my side charger.  It's the way Eugene should have built it from the start.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UberDork
10/16/20 3:29 p.m.
Justjim75 said:

I love my side charger.  It's the way Eugene should have built it from the start.

He did, eventually, and called it an AR-18. wink

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) Dork
10/16/20 8:25 p.m.

It took me almost a year to finish my AR10 shopping deals.  I'm pretty sure the glass was more expensive than the rifle.  

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Yn2x4E3aNlspvUYLM9GnsZ98RtTlqFwxfIqIwPa3zYGsSMEN9wKEWfDz7ELebpGq