1 2 3 4 5
BadBug
BadBug GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/12/23 5:25 p.m.

Got a little more on the car done this week:

First, an interior view of the battery tray that I showed in the previous post update:

And, as part of mounting the bigger fuel tank, we had to relocate the filler that protrudes up through the body work at the rear of the car. Cut in a new hole, and got a patch panel welded onto the old hole. Still a lot of hammer work, grinding and sanding/filler to go, but when we're done one (hopefully) will never see the old hole again:

Finally, we built and installed the throttle pedal. This one was tricky, as we originally thought we'd be able to use the Ecotec throttle assembly with no mods. Ah, but we forgot just how frigging tiny the car is and, by extension, the footwells. We ended up having to remote mount the electronic end of the pedal up under the dash, while the foot pedal itself now hangs from a little fabricated pivot-hanger, with an adjustable rod that connects the pedal to the under-dash throttle sensor. Yet another challenging tight-space-packaging-problem solved:

BadBug
10/19/23 12:12 p.m.

A little more progress to report. First is the fuel filler relocation, which is now 90% done. Still needs some sanding, filler, and more sanding, but it's good enough for now. 

We're now shifting gears (pun intended) to another aspect of the car: the relocated shift mechanism. The tranny is an Aisin AR5 out of a Solstice. Nice, strong unit, but the OEM shift mechanism puts the shifter way too far back in the car. After staring/thinking about this for way too long, we settled on building a shift "cap" assembly that will allow a T5-type shifter to mount on top. The bottom of the shifter will then have a "socket" welded on that interfaces to the "ball" on the input of the AR5. We're building the cap by hogging out a chunk of aluminum we had. The location of the shifter will still be a little too far rearward in the car, but the plan is to bend the shift arm forward ala the old Ford Cobra style. Still not certain this is all going to work, but I'll report back either way...

Shavarsh
Shavarsh HalfDork
10/19/23 12:46 p.m.

Awesome plan, following along

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
10/19/23 3:09 p.m.

Maybe similar to this ?

BadBug
10/19/23 3:13 p.m.

In reply to TurboFource :

Original plan was indeed something like that. But now I think we've got a plan that is even simpler with an even more direct connection to the input shaft of the trans.

1969honda
1969honda New Reader
10/21/23 2:11 p.m.

Nice! I ended up putting for a floor mount ATS pedal on a custom mount.  I think yours looks more elegant. 

BadBug
10/26/23 5:19 p.m.

Finished up the shifter assembly. Hogged out a block of aluminum to make the adapter plate. Then, turned down a piece of stainless rod into a taper and heated and bent the hell out of it to get it set at the right angle. The guts of the unit are a T5 assembly out of, we think, an S10.  I'm REALLY happy with how it all turned out. Shifting is super crisp, direct, and the throw length is just about perfect. We took great pains to get the shift ball to lie on the same plane as the steering wheel when in neutral. The whole thing feels very natural and almost OEM. Almost.

Shavarsh
Shavarsh HalfDork
10/26/23 5:53 p.m.

So Rad!

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
10/26/23 6:36 p.m.

Nice!

MiniDave
MiniDave HalfDork
10/26/23 10:18 p.m.

Why do you need 15 gallons of gas?

BadBug
10/27/23 7:52 a.m.
MiniDave said:

Why do you need 15 gallons of gas?

Because I'd like to drive it on weekend trips, including distant A/X events and car shows. I found the previous 10-gallon tank, combined with the old thirsty engine, just didn't give me the range I wanted. A turbo Ecotec + a heavy foot, means I needed a bigger tank. 

BadBug
11/7/23 7:31 p.m.

Had this show up on the UPS truck today. Dakota Digital VHX-1018. Pricey, and still a few weeks away on the list to tackle installing, but I am still pretty excited regardless. Really nice looking unit.

BadBug
11/9/23 2:45 p.m.

Getting suspension sorted out. Spring/shock mounts at the rear. As usual, packaging is very tight.

A view from the underside. Still need to stiffen up the lower mounting point, but miraculously, the springs (just) clear the A-arms with about 3/8-inch to spare...

And we're concurrently figuring out the sheet metal that will hide all this structure from eyesight, plus will keep the fuel tank out of the cockpit:

The plan is to build "caps" that cover the top shock mounts. These will be removable for accessing the top bolts:

The other thing we're trying to fold in the upper sheet metal is a recessed pocket and removable cover for the engine electronics and fusebox to reside:

And finally, I can't wait to mount this bad boy into the dash. The photo makes it look bigger than it is in reality. I think it's going to fit perfectly. I think.

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
11/9/23 3:11 p.m.

Awesome build! What are your seats out of?

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/9/23 3:39 p.m.

I want to preface this by saying you're clearly a great fabricator and I'm asking truly to learn, not finding any fault. 

It looks like all of the structural welding done was done in consistent passes whereas a lot of where sheet metal has been attached to the frame using individual tacks placed next to each other. 

Me being an average home welder at best, I certainly use the single tack method when dealing with thin, rusty or otherwise finicky pieces. Why have you used that method in those places? Just keeping heat out of the panel?

I have sort of viewed my use of that method as a fall back because I don't otherwise have the skill but you clearly have the skill and it seems that's how you did it. 

BadBug
11/9/23 3:50 p.m.
TurboFource said:

Awesome build! What are your seats out of?

They're old "racing seats" sold by a defunct no-name company. The models are "Paddy Hopkirks". They need reupholstering, but fit me and the car really well. 

Nukem
Nukem Reader
11/10/23 1:31 p.m.

I'm jealous of this lovely sheetmetal work. Was that hand rolled?

What sort of bead roller are you using? Maybe Santa will bring me one this year...

1969honda
1969honda New Reader
2/3/24 4:00 p.m.

How's this going? My own build has been stalled due to garage space and funds.

BadBug
2/3/24 4:26 p.m.
1969honda said:

How's this going? My own build has been stalled due to garage space and funds.

We've continued to make slow but steady progress. I've just not taken the time to update here on the thread. Got the fuel system fully pressure tested, installed, and plumbed. Also have made progress on the electrical systems, starting with big electrical cables to/from the battery, including a remote disconnect switch. Also got new wheels and tires on the car: Konig 15x7 Konig Rewinds + Falken Azenis RT615K+ in 205/50. Currently pulling the motor and trans to replace timing chain (Ecotecs are notorious for eating the chain guides around 60K miles), water pump, and new clutch. While the engine is out, we're going to sandblast the engine bay and get a coat of primer/anti-rust down. Like I said, slow but steady.

1969honda
1969honda New Reader
2/6/24 8:35 p.m.

Progress is progress, keep it up! Those wheels look like they will tie it all together nicely.

BadBug
8/29/24 6:46 p.m.

Long time, no post... but work has continued in dribs and drabs. Today was first start up. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyFuzZnwEnA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rv2hvFy8SzA

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 HalfDork
8/30/24 9:31 a.m.

Amazing craftsmanship. The exhaust configuration is so cool. Congrats on getting it running. 

This car is going to rip!

1969honda
1969honda New Reader
10/11/24 10:07 p.m.

Sweet! Glad to see you're still moving along.  I recently picked up some miscellaneous electrical connectors, flex fuel sensor, fuel pump and hardware bits for my '75. My BIL also did some lathe work on the T5 transmission input shaft yesterday. Hopefully I can get time this weekend and get the rest of the clutch system sorted out. 

MiniDave
MiniDave HalfDork
10/13/24 5:15 p.m.

In reply to BadBug :

Tell me about the instrument cluster please?

I've been looking for something cool for my hot rod build....

BadBug
10/13/24 5:31 p.m.
MiniDave said:

In reply to BadBug :

Tell me about the instrument cluster please?

I've been looking for something cool for my hot rod build....

Instrument gauge set is from Dakota Digital, model number VHX-1018. I'm very happy with how it looks and functions.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9dW4aqLMwSiaXLlMaqt8RHbahGDfN0D4CCvm0PV6A7NImb1qJPjdlz6uwULMy1uX