Morbid HalfDork
7/27/15 11:36 a.m.

In reply to TRoglodyte:

LOL and thanks!

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
7/27/15 11:48 a.m.
Morbid wrote: The whole group

The big give away that this in not from the movie, is that the Tusken Raiders are not walking in each others footsteps to hide their numbers and these guys are spread out all over the group.

Morbid
Morbid HalfDork
7/27/15 4:33 p.m.
T.J. wrote:
Morbid wrote: The whole group
The big give away that this in not from the movie, is that the Tusken Raiders are not walking in each others footsteps to hide their numbers and these guys are spread out all over the group.

I lol'd

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/27/15 5:47 p.m.

Turned out great. I think the helmet needs more weathering or the chest armor needs less to match.

Morbid
Morbid HalfDork
7/27/15 7:25 p.m.

In reply to bgkast: most of the bucket weathering is on the top and the actual plan was not to beat the hell out of this kit, then I started on it and it was a lot of fun and I got carried away.

I will be evening out the face and back of the bucket, though. I appreciate the feedback!

Morbid
Morbid HalfDork
8/10/15 10:30 p.m.

Another weekend, another event (actually I've done two events since those pictures). This weekend we had a booth as part of Midwest Makerfest, which was an amazing event. There were homebuilt drones, bots, battle-bots (sadly no battling), 3d printing (plastic, liquid and metal), welding demos, Star Wars amaze-ness including droid builders and so many other things. I think the most fun was having the only 'built' bucket and talking to people about how it was made, showing people how it all came together and just generally talking about all of the awesomeness.

As usual I was wrangle-ing the kids while working the event, so I forgot to take pictures of anything beyond what I was doing. Also, one booth was giving away selfie sticks, and, as much as I harass people for owning selfie sticks, a free selfie stick is an amazing selfie stick

I think this works, she can wear it for me from now on because it fits her perfectly

This is a friend-of-a-friend's R2 (friend has one completed and two in progress). I wish I would have gotten a better picture of it because, since it's in-progress, the internals are exposed and it's cool to see.

And general goofiness as the event started to wind down. One of the Jedi/Mandos decided to play keep-away with the kids and they almost bested him. Then he taught them some basics for lightsaber dueling

The boy-child also had developed a habit of stealing everyone's buckets and he was finally allowed to test Tarful's

Tarful amazes me every time I see it. He is latch-hooked from a small fishnet-type material and synthetic hair extensions that have been boiled straight. The cost and time associated with him is insane, but he looks so incredible and everyone loves 'Chewie' (cringe)

Morbid
Morbid HalfDork
8/10/15 10:34 p.m.

Since this was a 'maker' event it also allowed time to go over my kit and make a list of what needs to be done and what is missing from making it 'wow' and one of the things I was trying to avoid is going to be added.

It's going to need a kama (half-skirt-like covering). The consensus is that my upper body is 'WOW' then, with the small cod and small knees it's out of balance. So I'll be working on that, as well as permanently attaching the upper body armor to the flak vest, because having to fight with placing it every.single.time only to have it shift out of alignment when I move is getting old.

The_Jed
The_Jed UberDork
8/11/15 6:47 a.m.
Ian F wrote: Not sure it would be useful to you, but I have some old Dainese body armor I could donate to the cause. Tired of looking at it. Essentially one of these, only an older version (that's been wrecked in a few times):

Do you still have this by chance? If so pm a price and let me know just how big an ol' boy you are.

I wouldn't mind getting into this sort of thing but I am always either asleep or at work, as evidenced by the fact that I was absent at all of the above events.

The_Jed
The_Jed UberDork
8/11/15 6:51 a.m.
bgkast wrote: Turned out great. I think the helmet needs more weathering or the chest armor needs less to match.

After reading this I scrolled back up to look at the photos and I agree. The front of the dome portion of her helmet stands out with it's lack of damage. I'll have to give her a few whacks and hopefully destroy her selfie stick. (It was a free gift from the Maker Fest and I hate it.)

Morbid
Morbid HalfDork
8/11/15 2:07 p.m.
The_Jed wrote:
bgkast wrote: Turned out great. I think the helmet needs more weathering or the chest armor needs less to match.
After reading this I scrolled back up to look at the photos and I agree. The front of the dome portion of her helmet stands out with it's lack of damage. I'll have to give her a few whacks and hopefully destroy her selfie stick. (It was a free gift from the Maker Fest and I hate it.)

I don't like you.

A big part of the issue with the bucket weathering is that the teal doesn't let much of it stand out. It was also done when I planned on having a cleaner kit, then I got carried away with the body armor.

I'll get some pictures of just the bucket on here one of these days.

Morbid
Morbid HalfDork
9/9/15 4:50 p.m.

Finally an up-close of the bucket:

This is from the Force Friday opening at Toys R Us last week, which, like every event so far, was a lot of fun.

Recent upgrades include filling in some finer battle damage on the bucket and plates, adding a kama to the kit to make it look more cohesive, a new chest diamond, semi-permanently attaching the plates to my flack vest and some minor fabric weathering. Once I get new gauntlets made I'll be ready to start thinking about official status.

New gauntlets have to wait, though, because I need to get going on 2 mini-Mandos and a Tusken Raider (Jed).

Lots to do and a short time to get it done.

More pictures...

They forgot my tiara!

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/15/15 9:21 p.m.

Awesome!

I was bored on youtube and came across an oldie but goody

The best of Boba

Morbid
Morbid HalfDork
9/16/15 9:08 p.m.

In reply to Hungary Bill:

Those are funny!

Morbid
Morbid HalfDork
9/26/15 6:38 p.m.

With my Mando 'close enough' to completion and Halloween approaching, I spent the week speed-building a mini-Mando and a Sith.

The Sith is not yet complete, but was 'good enough' to troop in today, I need to get him different pants, change the closure on his shirt and make him an inner robe. The Mando will get a weapon of some sort (she's hoping for a few thermal detonators).

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ens3sprIGGbM5CnprqBhARlwP010knMvzk5JaPkd8e1DOt2lXReHi36kCM63WQ1Y