1 2 3
DEATHTRAP
DEATHTRAP Reader
9/3/17 10:27 a.m.

Yesturday I finished welding up all of the tabs to attach side panels to the seat frame. I also finished welding the mount for the master cyliner. I only lack a caliper and bracket to wrap up all of the welding. Then i can start painting and getting rid of this god aweful green. 20170902_115756 by Jason James, on Flickr20170902_115939 by Jason James, on Flickr20170902_115954 by Jason James, on Flickr

DEATHTRAP
DEATHTRAP Reader
9/17/17 9:07 p.m.

It has been a productive weekend. 

I got some paint sprayed on this pig and started putting some of the parts back on for the final time. Or I hope for the last time. I have a caliper bracket and brake line to make yet and a couple of incidentals but the majority of the fab work is done. If I can stay at it, things should be finished up by the end of the month and ready for the first ride. I just can't wait! 

DEATHTRAP
DEATHTRAP Reader
9/18/17 9:36 a.m.

It was a really productive weekend here in our household. Sprayed down some paint and started reassembling things. Went as far as I could though. I have just a couple of parts left to fab up and then it's time to go for a ride. I can't wait! 20170917_190551 by Jason James, on Flickr

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy SuperDork
9/18/17 10:03 a.m.

Lookin' good.  I like the gas tank pretending to be 'chute. Nice touch.

DEATHTRAP
DEATHTRAP Reader
10/3/17 5:34 p.m.

Alright. So, got quite a bit of work done on the little kart. Had to actually whittle a channel in a block of wood as a guide to bend a metal brake line. My bender has too wide of a radius and would not have cleared nor allowed me to installed the cool race car fittings that I like. Fab'd up a brake pedal rod and bled the brakes. Completed painting everything and started reassembly. Figured out how I was going to route the exhaust and got that completely done. Kept going down my list and checking off the things that had been completed. And then stood back and realized that everything was done. I finished. Well not completely finished. No project is Ever completely finished. The only thing left to do was ride it. And then I got scared. It's a strange feeling to take a project, that has been completely fabricated "by you", and take it out on a madden voyage. All of the terror that goes through your mind about did I tighten everything up, did I forget anything, will it just break in half while I'm on it at speed. Things that crossed my mind when I rounded up the courage and went for my first ride. And I must say nothing like that happened. But the steering, on the other hand, it extremely touchy. After thinking about it for a couple of days, I think it is due to the excessive caster and the lack of flex. It seems very unpredictable over seams in the pavement. I don't think all 4 tires are on the ground 100% of the time while hitting bumps because it doesn't flex. Now I am no engineer, and building crap like this I should be, but that is just my theory. Going to try some air pressure adjustments and some toe adjustments. This will also give me some more seat time. Maybe seat time is all I need. I doubt it though, it's pretty sketchy!All put together now. Had a first ride today, and needs a little more work. Looks pretty sweet though, or a trip to the hospital. Whichever. by Jason James, on Flickr

I think an outing to an empty parking lot and a helmet are in order for this weekend. see how the weather goes.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
10/3/17 6:56 p.m.

Super impressed with your fab skills. Good job sir!

DEATHTRAP
DEATHTRAP Reader
10/17/17 9:53 a.m.

So, we've been cruising this up and down the block a few times to try and work out some of the bugs. I took air out of the front tires and the steering didn't seem to get any better. I then decided to go the other way and add air, which made things much better. About 80% better!  !..!,  I took a look at everything again, just a once over before I decide to see just how fast it will go, and I found that the fuel tank brackets are starting to fracture. Now that was disappointing. My solution is to make another fuel tank and locate it under the seat were I probably should have pit it in the first place. But I am going to repair the fractures and leave the parachute look because it looks plain cool! I think it does anyway. I have also ordered a fuel pump so things don't need to be gravity fed.  New fuel tank location. by Jason James, on Flickr New fuel tank location. by Jason James, on Flickr

DEATHTRAP
DEATHTRAP Reader
12/4/17 3:17 p.m.

It has been really busy around my house here lately. Haven't had too much time to make a tone of progress. Got the new tank all welded up and tried out some gas tank liner. And we will be trying that out real soon. I have drilled and tapped the frame to mount the tank but still need to clearance the seat.

We took this out to the rack track about a month ago and work great. This is my friend Sam trying this thing out. IMG_20171021_003832_314 by Jason James, on Flickr IMG_20171105_115145_744 by Jason James, on Flickr IMG_20171203_103259_216 by Jason James, on Flickr 2017-12-04_02-16-26 by Jason James, on Flickr

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mv0sXFjUUzSQOCVoh050diE74LO1jEDq5fDS5aN6Na2z1LPYFQnV1zOylkG1lMIb