1 2 3 4
Leviathan888
Leviathan888 New Reader
2/12/23 2:05 p.m.

Cool, thanks for the advice. A theft/impound car of some sort would make sense, looks like whoever owned it partied hard and not abused it, but neglected cleaning and interior. Seems they kept up with mechanical maintenance to some though. 

Leviathan888
Leviathan888 New Reader
2/13/23 12:34 p.m.

One more question, is there any compatibility between turbos? The audi engine I'm working on is a 2.0 turbo, but the turbo is missing. Could I find one on a subaru or passat with the same bolt pattern and slap it on? Or would I have to grab one off a parts a4 locally. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/13/23 3:11 p.m.

There is some compatibility between turbo flanges, but there's a lot of art to matching a turbo to an engine and the desired torque curve. They're definitely not one size fits all. 

Leviathan888
Leviathan888 New Reader
2/13/23 4:06 p.m.

Well, this about shows my lack of car engine knowledge. I know big equipment, and I know old stuff, but not German cars. Turns out what I was looking at IS the turbo, just didn't know it because of whats missing around it and that I was looking in the wrong spot. Long story short, the Audi has a turbo on it, what I though was a missing turbo is just part of the exhaust thats been cut. 

Update on the car, the Passat starter doesn't fit. Seems the same, but the bolt pattern is slightly different. In a final attempt I looked up some pictures of starters for this car and realized the one originally with the car looks like it IS right. Took out the passat starter, un-did all the cables, and put the audi starter back in all hooked up. Grabbed a battery and some jumper cables, connected everything up, bypassed the key start, and voila! It cranked over. Ecstatic about my triumph, I put the battery in its holder, took the jumper cables away and hooked the ignition back up, connected the positive and negative, then the windshield wipers came on. Now with power, the trunk opened, the display turned on, and the radio came on. Gauge cluster lit up now, it shows a couple different lights (probably due to all the cut sensors) and 219,132 kilometers. Plus pressing the clutch and turning the key cranks the engine. About now my battery ran out of juice so I headed home, but theres my triumph for today.

Leviathan888
Leviathan888 New Reader
2/15/23 11:35 p.m.

Went to the wrecker again today to start the audi. Whe I got there, I hooked up a fresh battery, turned the key and it cranked. I quickly stopped as I needed to add oil and fluids, plus do a checkup. After adding oil, fuel stabilizer, replacing some oil hoses, and doing a final engine inspection, I went to start it again. Wanting to bring the oil pressure light up I messed with the display, got what I wanted, then tried to crank it and got nothing. Display, audio, lights, but turning the key just  flickered the dash. Im thinking its a fuse as it cranked earlier, but not sure. Any suggestions? Checked grounds and battery, but nothing worked. One thing is that there is a draw on the battery with  the key off of that means anything.

StripesSA1
StripesSA1 Reader
2/16/23 11:27 a.m.

It was mentioned before, but try and get some info on it. Some service history off some sorts.

Here in South Africa they sometimes send these cars to bed if the FSI system packs it in, usually around the kilometers this one has.

And it is a whole system replace, ie camshaft, camshaft follower, HP pump driven of the camshaft and al 4 injectors. When these things starts going, the car will idle fine, but when revving up, you will get a lean miss since the HP pump can't keep up.

Also, just before buttoning up the tappet cover, have a friend turn the motor over on the starter, and here if there is any lifter noise. Just to be safe. These FSI motor, locally, had the problem of eating lifters, cams and FSI components due to oil pump failure. Usually the nut on the chain drive comes loose. Just enough gets buggerd not to make it to the sump, but gets stuck in the oil filter.

That is the extend of my knowledge, since I used to work at a spares shop, and these was some of the info I learned by hear-say from customers

Leviathan888
Leviathan888 New Reader
2/16/23 3:34 p.m.

Thanks for the info, I'm aware of the oil pump issue. There doesn't seem to be any abnormal noise from the top end, I checked that along with the plugs. If it's all ok, (which so far the motor is) I intend to rebuild it and will thoroughly investigate all the cam and oil stuff to make sure. 

As for history, I ran the VIN through some sites and it comes back clean with no accident/auction/repair history and one owner. 

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/18/23 12:40 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

It would be a lot easier to make sure the engine attached to the transmission is in good shape than it would be to bolt something else on there. There are V6 Audis, so if you want a V6 then start with one of those.

There are also V8 Audis, although AFAIK they only ever made those with quattro, not FWD.  That said, there's a build thread out there on a Lotus forum somewhere of a guy (in the UK, I think) who put an Audi 4.2L V8 into the back of his early Esprit.   I think he capped off the center diff to turn it into a 2WD car.

As for transverse mid-engined sports cars, one of the ones you overlooked was the Ferrari 308/328. :)

XenaFordPrincess
XenaFordPrincess New Reader
2/18/23 9:55 a.m.

Audi V8's have the same bolt pattern as a Boxster transaxle.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/18/23 2:28 p.m.

The first few years of A8 could be had with a front wheel drive 3.7l V8.

I don't remember if all 3.7s were front drive or if all front drives were 3.7 or both.

Either way it is the same bellhousing pattern as the V6, which looks remarkably similar to the pattern on a Boxster trans, so there are a lot of mid engine trans options.  Not so much for rear engine.  I do not think the diff is flippable like in a ACVW trans.

paddygarcia
paddygarcia GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/18/23 6:28 p.m.

Do you have a plan or design yet? It seems very early to be buying a drivetrain.

Leviathan888
Leviathan888 New Reader
2/19/23 12:01 a.m.

Update! 

She runs and drives. Looks like it was my battery that was the issue, after going back there with a fresh battery the car started after 3 cranks. Turbo spools, oil pressure, all good. Blocked it up off the ground and put it into each gear to see all four rotors spinning fine. Need a few small things like rad hoses, intercooler hoses, an airbox, and the missing piece of exhaust, but other than that its all there. More in depth vin reports show the Audi is from Quebec in 2008, was driven for years then auctioned to a buyer in Vancouver around 2016. Floated around until it went to a dealership and was listed for sale for almost a year, finally bought in 2018ish, driven for two years then sold to Vancouver Island. Driven here for less then a year, last registration date was 02, 2022, same as the oil change sticker. Went off grid from then till now. Leaning towards a theft/impound car, seems like it was stolen and partied in then abandoned and later towed. After it wasn't claimed, it ended up in the scrapyard? Haven't found any indicating damages yet.

Leviathan888
Leviathan888 New Reader
2/19/23 12:08 a.m.

In reply to paddygarcia :

I have all sorts of 3D models and body designs, thats the first thing I worked on. 

In a perfect world, I'm trying to build a 1994 Mclaren F1 LM. My grandfather left me a 1/18 scale model of the car and ever since I've been addicted with the idea of having one. Still fetching upwards of 5 million dollars at auction though, I thought the best option would be put my time and skills to good use by building myself a replica. I know it certainly won't be perfect, but I'm an optimistic that by taking my time and doing it myself I might have a convincing replica supercar.  

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/19/23 12:36 p.m.

In reply to Leviathan888 :

Outstanding! 

Rigante
Rigante Reader
2/19/23 1:57 p.m.

it you want rear engine then a 911 trans would be the answer. Audi V8s and V6TT engines bolt up to 01E trans 0B3 trans etc for FWD applications. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZJluavulTk  Homebuilt By Jeff on youtube is building a 4.2 audi/boxster. probably an easy job after the ferarri engined Alfa

Leviathan888
Leviathan888 New Reader
2/20/23 11:29 p.m.

In reply to Rigante : 

I'll definitely go this route when upgrading  the power train which I intend to do in the future, but for now due to costs I'm gonna stick with the Audi engine and tranny as I think it will have more than enough power to kill me. You can never have enough though so that will come next.

Leviathan888
Leviathan888 New Reader
2/24/23 9:55 p.m.

Anyone know the ins and outs of insuring totaled/salvage cars? Working on buying the Audi but realized it might be a hassle to finish the build then realize insurance is an issue. If the car is totaled the insurance agency owns the title, do I call them and get it straight from there? Working with ICBC if that helps. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cDXAPO9RoABelE662V4dB7Rdqci5daOWysy1vzjHB9IPxJ4k26Mr0sVaCj6HSAwU