1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 13
DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
7/23/24 9:33 p.m.

FWIW - It's not a cheap upgrade, but I'm a big fan of the Wilwood bolt on replacement calipers.  It basically gives you completely modern braking technology that is a 100% bolt on and will still fit under the original wheels.  I knew I didn't want to do constant battle with the original calipers, so when one of the fronts started leaking I replaced the front pair, and when the rears start acting up, I'll do the same there.  

a_florida_man
a_florida_man GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/23/24 9:39 p.m.
DILYSI Dave said:

FWIW - It's not a cheap upgrade, but I'm a big fan of the Wilwood bolt on replacement calipers.  It basically gives you completely modern braking technology that is a 100% bolt on and will still fit under the original wheels.  I knew I didn't want to do constant battle with the original calipers, so when one of the fronts started leaking I replaced the front pair, and when the rears start acting up, I'll do the same there.  

Yeah, I looked at those... and I would use them if I hadn't gotten a ton of brake stuff in the deal when I bought this car. Supposedly the included replacement calipers were stainless steel sleeved AND o-ringed. So for the time being Im going to use what came with the car, and spend money on items I don't have (like sidepipe headers :) ). But as soon as I have an issue, I expect ill switch over to them. They are considerably lighter ...lol.

a_florida_man
7/23/24 11:12 p.m.

Another line

Prebuilt the gas tank.... soon....

a_florida_man
7/24/24 7:45 p.m.

DOT approved 68-82 Corvette braided brake lines. Cost about the same as stock rubber.

Evidently the DOT approval stems mainly from the fact that the braided hose is encased in clear plastic, which makes the hose resistant to damage from contamination. Making it better suited to long term regular passenger car use.

a_florida_man
7/24/24 7:47 p.m.

a_florida_man
7/25/24 10:24 p.m.

People can be hard on cars...and do strange things to them.

My best guess is that this car has been sitting in various states of disassembly for a long time.

Possibly since the late 80's

The tires are dated 2002 and are "new", they have never seen a mile.

The newest money that I've found was a dime from 1986.

I'm going to check the date codes on the two low beam headlights.. they have been replaced.

But here's the thing about the headlights... they are standard sealed beams, not halogens.

So I won't be surprised if they have early or mid eighties date codes.

So few things appear to have been changed... so consider if you will that the car was possibly last used circa 1989.

That's 20 years on the road, and 35 off. The title says 106,000 ish which matches the speedometer.

Add to this that since Ive removed the old calipers, I can feel detent's in the front wheel bearings. Probably from corrosion. I can also tell you the rear half shafts had set into a similar state, not frozen, but clearly gummy stiff with  a preferred position.

The car is 55, and I'm 53. We share a feeling for having both moved too much over the years and then again recently, not enough. In that way we are good for each other. Getting her moving, keeps me moving.

In those short 20 years, she was yellow from the factory, then blue, and then yellow again. When she was blue I think she was a bit more on the custom side. Im just guessing at that... and that guess is based on this:

Remeber how the drivers mirror was in the wrong place, close to but not quite in the location for a '68? Well kids, there's more.

All of the emblems are in the wrong place. Possibly the blue paint job was a custom look, and the emblems were removed and the holes sealed?

The hood ornament, it just looks wrong.

Annnd yep! The OEM holes were filled. you can see the OEM holes about a cm closer to the bumper and a few mm to the left.

Same with both of the Stingray emblems. Bondo pigtails show the OEM holes.

The emblem is about an inch low on both sides.

And I saved the worst for last...

Check out how crooked the CORVETTE letters are...

Yeah its bad...

So I'm guessing that when it went back to yellow... they just guessed at where the trim should go... lol.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/25/24 11:00 p.m.

I'm loving your level of perception regarding these details.

I can feel it. I suffer from the same curse.

a_florida_man
7/27/24 3:02 p.m.

I've been busy....

Lets start off singing the song...

A little less Corvette...

a_florida_man
7/27/24 3:06 p.m.

I would also like no note that I truly thought I was done finding these nests.

Nope.

Behind the lower drivers fender next to the cowl.

I ve also got the body up 3 to 4 inches now...

Does this count as a body off restoration?

lol...jk

a_florida_man
7/27/24 3:10 p.m.

Driver side shock 1971 Monroe

Pass side 1973 AC Delco.

So it's 1973 and you don't have the $$ or sense to keep matching shocks on your $45k car ? (Todays $$).

Things like this pain me.

a_florida_man
7/27/24 3:12 p.m.

And this... this is probably why the rear spring was shimmed with nuts on the end link. Someone broke an ear off of the rear spring mount.

And they left a big fat bead... without any compensation for the rest of the spring mount. There is a reason this surface is machined.

(cop voice) What were you boys tryin to do?

(scared kid) Um we were trying to fix the rear spring, sir..

(cop voice) Almost made it.

IYKYK lol

a_florida_man
7/27/24 3:19 p.m.

When I find these things... I try to compensate by putting a new part on somewhere. Anywhere...

It helps...

a_florida_man
7/27/24 5:37 p.m.

More nests.

It's like I'm some sort of older Donald Duck and I've just simply outlived Chip and Dale.

a_florida_man
7/27/24 7:04 p.m.

Air Shocks too?

a_florida_man
7/27/24 7:08 p.m.

The passenger side mounts were in about the same shape.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
7/31/24 11:39 a.m.

It's been 3 days.  Has anyone checked to see if Florida Man is trapped under an old Corvette?

akylekoz
akylekoz UberDork
7/31/24 12:09 p.m.

Or under water?

Recon1342
Recon1342 UltraDork
7/31/24 12:58 p.m.

Or eaten by an angry mouse?

a_florida_man
7/31/24 1:09 p.m.
DILYSI Dave said:

It's been 3 days.  Has anyone checked to see if Florida Man is trapped under an old Corvette?

Funny you say that.... I was home alone this weekend.

a_florida_man
7/31/24 1:19 p.m.

Big posts coming soon.. the entire rear suspension is out and about to go back this weekend. Should be the largest pile of new stuff to go back onto the car yet.

Hopefully this will hold you over....

New battery and jack hold downs rivited in.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
7/31/24 4:55 p.m.

FWIW, I don't think there's any real magic in the rear suspension, but it does seem like there's some stuff that involves some specialty tools and knowing how to use them.  There's a dude on one of the C3 FB groups, and I believe he's in Florida, that sells nicely rebuilt trailing arm assemblies that have been restored, freshened up, new bearings, hubs, bushings, etc., for a fair price.  If that's useful, say the word and I'll figure out some contact info.

a_florida_man
7/31/24 5:29 p.m.

Yeah, I know the guy you are talking about... he is east of Orlando I think. 

Karsten Neuhaeuser ?

I'm getting geared to take a shot at it myself:

Last thing before I removed the arms, I checked the spindle run out with the new rotors on to make sure the spindles weren't bent.

The new HD differential cover arrived:

Two springs, one set is supposedly VERY early F-41 OEM, the other aftermarket.

Also got a set of close to F41 spec new front springs.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/31/24 6:51 p.m.

I rebuilt the trailing arms on my 75 myself. I rented the removal and set up tools from Duntov I think. That was maybe ten or 15 years ago though.

madmrak351
madmrak351 HalfDork
8/1/24 7:50 a.m.

Around 77 I had Tampa brake and spring build me a F41 rear spring that was 1 inch shorter overall for better tire clearance along with notched trailing arms that I copied from a Guldstrand design. 

a_florida_man
8/1/24 9:04 a.m.
madmrak351 said:

Around 77 I had Tampa brake and spring build me a F41 rear spring that was 1 inch shorter overall for better tire clearance along with notched trailing arms that I copied from a Guldstrand design. 

That's pretty cool!

1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 13

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xzl5quZNCWuY8a1hCLiPmE3IgK9rNak0TKgncjN33mqXMEvHdaHv1lpbxFxqYKim