1 2 3 4
ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
2/17/23 6:53 p.m.

Looks like a good buy on the V8 kit!

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
2/17/23 7:01 p.m.

No kidding!   Nice job.  A good scrub and paint will make that thing look like new. 

I've been debating going through our bronco's c4.  Recommended? I've not pulled one apart but I'm not scared to

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
2/18/23 8:26 a.m.

I have the factory shop manual, and also bought the Haynes book. Between the two of them it actually isn't difficult. The ONLY thing that you really need to do is keep all the parts in order as you take them out. I left the various clutches/drums together until I was ready to deal with them individually. There are some clearance measurements they make a big deal out of but I didn't worry about more than one or two since the transmission worked fine before. It just leaked horribly. 

I bought a kit from Kentucky Mustang cheaper than I could find it elsewhere. I got the one with the big band in it as some only have the clutch packs. Lots of leftover seals and a few gaskets for 'other' versions of the trans. It was simple to match them up. No instructions in the kit.

If you can rebuild an engine, you can do a C4. The worst part was cleaning the old gasket off the valve body. I think I spent an hour doing that.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
10/18/23 7:39 a.m.

I'm pretty bad about updating the thread here. Once I upload a new YT video I kind of forget about what happened. Anyway, I bought a Pappy's Patina wipe on clearcoat kit and gave it a try. Figured I couldn't make it look worse. There was no bringing back the existing single stage metallic with polish.

Gave it a nice shine, and the color looks a bit deeper. Top surfaces are a little streaky, possibly from the weather conditions of the day, but the sides really look excellent. I'm pretty happy with the results for under $200 and not a lot of effort.

The 200 six has gotten better with use, but there is no hiding the 100-ish HP it has. Plus, it has reluctant oil pressure at cold start with very distinct rod knock, so the bearings are certainly down to the copper.

The 1968 302 has been waiting patiently.

It's a bit of a mystery engine. I took the timing cover off to see if I could find any numbers on the cam but no luck. I did find a gear drive setup. And it sucks. 

Not a 'rigid mount' version, so the gears just kind of mesh where they want to. Not cool. And, the dowel for the cam was actually bent. Ordered an Edelbrock chain kit to replace it. Another $300 of Summit Racing parts should get it ready to install. But, I still have to 'rebuild' the 5 lug rear that is a necessity for this swap. Probably won't actually pull the six until deep into the winter months.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
6/14/24 7:25 a.m.

It's taken far too long, but the 302 is in where the 200 six once resided.

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
6/14/24 9:15 a.m.

Upvoting old Ford content is how I roll.  

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kMY8Tq4HCE5ZYPVcPa3UHGFGlcGvoVS21TBu4Qi0yoWyLmdTGv3AR9pM66rVcHZk