Bmsluite
Bmsluite New Reader
1/8/22 9:02 p.m.

I noticed while doing some suspension work that all my exhaust gaskets are blown out.  There are six on the car.  The two nearest the cats had literally no material between the two metal sandwich plates. I believe this was graphite material

My question is what are the temperature ranges for the different gasket materials? I know copper conforms well to uneven exhaust fittings.  My exhaust does not for perfectly as it is custom.  Will this handle the after catalytic converter heat on track? 

I could go graphite again but that seems foolish.  Mcmaster carr sells a vermiculite material good to 1820F. I could cut some gaskets out of that. 

OEM is multilayered steel.  Is that my beat bet? Will that conform to a non perfect exhaust flange mating? 

Thanks for any help.  

TED_fiestaHP
TED_fiestaHP HalfDork
1/9/22 9:31 a.m.

One option, look at McMaster Carr and see what high temp gasket material they have.   They might have something that could work, but you would have to cut gaskets.  I often find interesting stuff on their web site.

Bmsluite
Bmsluite New Reader
1/9/22 9:48 a.m.

In reply to TED_fiestaHP :

Yeah, I was thinking that. I also get whatever I want from there for free from work. So that's a plus

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
1/9/22 10:15 a.m.

Google Remflex and then buy some from your FLAPS.

We use it on questionable exhaust surfaces and have never had a blowout.

Bmsluite
Bmsluite New Reader
1/9/22 4:40 p.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

Thanks.  Those look like a good fit. Hopefully they hold up to track abuse. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ysQJRPBibWA0cc1lg5oVtPlteigyiZHrTv8OoQJU0WWDWL193Q58d9l7PelSnuAU