1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 17
Warren v
Warren v Reader
7/19/13 3:02 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: I spoke to Warren today as the car was being loaded on the trailer. He was remarkably coherent. Giddy, but coherent. Pretty impressive considering the last week.

It's much easier to be in FSAE-mode when you don't have finals and term projects to worry about. Also, the guys from Reddit/r/Miata and MX5ATL made this possible! (I'm Dutchbag on both sites)

v8exocet
v8exocet New Reader
7/19/13 10:17 a.m.

1530 lbs is the official number

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs HalfDork
7/19/13 10:38 a.m.

Any idea how much weight the fm goodies would add over a completely stock set up?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/19/13 11:00 a.m.

Depends on how many of the goodies you use. I'd say the turbo would be 30-50 lbs, although it does contribute to a fairly decent power/weight increase. The brakes in this car are lighter than stock, the cooling system will be a bit heavier due to the greater capacity.

This isn't a typical Exocet. I think it's only got one seat right now, and of course it has the wings and mounts.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/19/13 1:07 p.m.

In reply to v8exocet:

Dang!

thestig
thestig New Reader
7/19/13 1:37 p.m.

It looks like ffr 818 has transmission issues. No third gear. That's too bad as I wanted to see the car put up some good numbers. I hope the exocet is running well without any mechanical issues. Especially since they didn't really get a good shakedown.

Keith Tanner
7/19/13 1:45 p.m.

I've spoken to Warren a couple of times today, but not for a long time. He says they've been out on track, but I'm guessing without a transponder as they're not showing up on the timing until now. They just triggered the lights, let's see...

Apparently the driver is really happy with the car. He was out at 9/10ths right out of the box. They've got a good Spec shop to help set up the car, which shows one of the big advantages of an Exocet: it's just a Miata with an eating disorder.

Keith Tanner
7/19/13 1:57 p.m.

Times! They didn't start showing up until halfway through the second session, and I've only seen two timed laps.

2:16.437
2:15.903

The 818 laid down a 2:09.491 and backed it up with a 2:14. That 2:09 is third fastest in the B group in the session. Next session starts at 4 pm local.

v8exocet
v8exocet New Reader
7/19/13 2:17 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Times! They didn't start showing up until halfway through the second session, and I've only seen two timed laps. 2:16.437 2:15.903 The 818 laid down a 2:09.491 and backed it up with a 2:14. That 2:09 is third fastest in the B group in the session. Next session starts at 4 pm local.

which is pretty respectable IMO given the amount of time THEY had vs Exomotive had. Im sure there is another 6 seconds to shave off after tuning, aero tuning, and other fun.

v8exocet
v8exocet New Reader
7/19/13 2:19 p.m.

this should be live streamed. I dont understand why more racetracks dont have the capability

Keith Tanner
7/19/13 2:21 p.m.

From a pile of tubes to 2:15 on your second timed lap in about a week? That's pretty darn impressive.

The times are live streamed. To stream the actual race would require a full camera crew. This IS still just amateur racing...

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
7/19/13 2:22 p.m.

Seems like both cars should be quite a bit faster. ITA Record is 2:16. ITR is 2:11.

EDIT - Not to take away from Keith's point above. That they aren't in a gravel trap due to a missing component or bolt left loose is a pretty huge victory in and of itself given the build pace and lack of testing. I'd just expect both cars to be closer to the 2 minute mark.

v8exocet
v8exocet New Reader
7/19/13 2:23 p.m.

nah it wouldnt. a few 100.00 videocameras into laptops, streamed onto multiple free youtube/justin.tv channels is almost a gimmie.

ive done it before lol

v8exocet
v8exocet New Reader
7/19/13 2:24 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: From a pile of tubes to 2:15 on your second timed lap in about a week? That's pretty darn impressive.

thats what im saying. granted the chassis has gone through TONS of revisions over the past year or so to make it this easy to put together from the old chassis, which paid off tons in the end.

these guys are gonna be a hit, im sure of it. the subaru kit car thing will be way overshadowed by it.

Warren v
Warren v Reader
7/19/13 2:27 p.m.

XP-3 Pulling out for First Session

6 seconds down from the 818, we're having ignition issues and our very experience driver says its only making 170hp. We have a hydra master checking the ignition tables. The driver (owner of spec Miata engine company race engineering) has crazy good things to say about the car.

It looks great on track, we just need to stop missing.

v8exocet
v8exocet New Reader
7/19/13 2:28 p.m.

that could very well put you neck and neck with the 818

Keith Tanner
7/19/13 2:31 p.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: Seems like both cars should be quite a bit faster. ITA Record is 2:16. ITR is 2:11. EDIT - Not to take away from Keith's point above. That they aren't in a gravel trap due to a missing component or bolt left loose is a pretty huge victory in and of itself given the build pace and lack of testing. I'd just expect both cars to be closer to the 2 minute mark.

There are only about 4-5 cars that have cracked 2:00 so far, and all but one of them are big dollar pro cars. FYI.

As for the live streaming, go ahead and do it.

Warren v
Warren v Reader
7/19/13 2:36 p.m.

Bob Thorton says he's got 6-7 seconds left with the power levels as they are now. Scott Seigel (sp?) is doing some cool stuff with my laptop.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
Warren v wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0oHwTF0DWc&feature=youtube_gdata_player 6 seconds down from the 818, we're having ignition issues and our very experience driver says its only making 170hp. We have a hydra master checking the ignition tables. The driver (owner of spec Miata engine company race engineering) has crazy good things to say about the car. It looks great on track, we just need to stop missing.

At VIR, with as much time as that thing should be at WOT, yeah - get all the horsies showing up and the time will drop a BUNCH I'm sure.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork

Tell Scott I said Hi.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/19/13 2:50 p.m.
thestig wrote: It looks like ffr 818 has transmission issues. No third gear.

Common problem when you put big power through a non-STi Impreza box. If I had one of those I'd put straight-cut gears in at least 3rd and 4th while doing the 2wd conversion.

Keith Tanner
7/19/13 3:30 p.m.

Looks like the 818 is sitting out the final session. The Exocet is taking time off in respectable amounts, but I'm guessing the misfire remains. Bummer, I'm pretty sure we put some high power race plugs in there too. Hmm, a 1999 model donor, I wonder how the coils are?

2:15.257 is the final unofficial time. Looks like a total of five timed laps - that's an impressive result.

Warren, I'm sure proper end plates for the rear wing are on the to-do list

unk577
unk577 Reader
7/19/13 3:31 p.m.

Is there a reason you can't flip that seat back brace over, to where it comes from under the harness bar

Also where are they streaming the times?

Keith Tanner
7/19/13 3:35 p.m.

I get them through the Race Monitor app on my iPad. The UTCC is done for the day now.

unk577
unk577 Reader
7/19/13 3:37 p.m.

Yeah I just found it through race monitor on my phone. Thanks

1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 17

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uh6v08KK9KTDhniMTa1t4xz9ebELknfwqfOVPFHdxa5uNQ2zK09NKjmjYhSJ8OPD