1 2
akylekoz
akylekoz UberDork
10/1/24 10:22 a.m.

Now I want to save one myself, maybe a future project.

untchabl
untchabl HalfDork
10/2/24 10:43 a.m.

Just won this 2005 Prius today. $754 all in after fees. Claims front end damage, guess I'll find out more when I pick it up tomorrow or Friday. Has 260k miles.

This is my first Prius, so I'm sure I'll have questions for IndyGuy and John Welsh.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
10/2/24 11:16 a.m.

In reply to untchabl :

Congrats !  The exterior of that car looks really clean.  The interior will need some work, but as John has pointed out, the materials are generally robust and respond well to a deep scrub. 

Any questions, just ask away.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/2/24 12:21 p.m.

In reply to untchabl :

So cool.  Looks good!

I found the listing for yours.

It is a previously rebuilt car (but that's okay.)  I can see that the lower grill is missing one piece where the optional fog light would be.  I also see that this lower grill which should be black had been Earl Shieb'ed and painted blue. 

Being previously rebuilt the insurance company only valued the car in pre accident condition as $2,812.  A front bumper cover alone at shop rates would exceed the half value of the car.  I'll bet the car ran fine right up until the parking lot bump. 

The run video is on electric only so can't tell from that if the cat converter has been harvested off it??

Fresh plastic to rewrap the electronics of your current clickers are cheap. $10 each

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
10/2/24 12:36 p.m.

OOOOPS!

I did it again.  Won another one, I was only casually going after.  It's a Prius V model.  Got this one with a bid amount of $525.  I'll have to evaluate it once it arrives, but this one might become my personal vehicle (which means I'd sell my current DD Prius).

This one has 223k on the clock.

Ooops.  Looks like I've got get busy and turn over some inventory.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
10/2/24 12:56 p.m.

Man, when these were new, I LOATHED them. But as cheap flips and/or daily driver fodder, I sort of have a new appreciation for them. It's amazing how cheap you guys that fix/flip them are snagging them for, and by all accounts, they make great road sofas for commuting. It's fascinating to watch! 

bbbbRASS
bbbbRASS Reader
10/2/24 1:11 p.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

I covet a V with a sturdy roof rack for kayaking trips! Nice score.

untchabl
untchabl HalfDork
10/2/24 1:52 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Are the cheap aftermarket cat converters still working ok as replacements for the factory one, if it is missing? I thought I remember you or IndyGuy using them before. 

I'm hoping this car will be fine with a good clean up and some basically minor fixes to become my new beater car. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/2/24 2:12 p.m.

In reply to untchabl :

I have not had to buy a cat but Mr Indy bought the cheapest new one available anywhere and I think it was fine.  

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
10/2/24 2:57 p.m.
John Welsh said:

In reply to untchabl :

I have not had to buy a cat but Mr Indy bought the cheapest new one available anywhere and I think it was fine.  

Disclaimer: I live in a state that does NOT require inspections or emissions tailpipe sniffing.

Having said that, the absolute cheapest aftermarket converter available from eBay (or was Amazon?) is what I installed on the last one I bought that was missing the OEM cat.  It worked perfectly for what I needed it to do.  If you need to pass any tests, send me a PM, but the cliff notes version is: buy a GOOD quality o2 sensor.  (if the cat was stolen, they most likely stole the good OEM o2 sensor at the same time).

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
f1c7UoQKJCQLry9Jp3J9aMQnO6BaKTgJ6nZnxBYNgyyurttuxqKw5VtXpXakLPoR