1 2
Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork
3/13/17 3:42 p.m.

In reply to DaveEstey:

Thanks Dave! I won't be at the shop until the weekend, I will see if I can google one tonight and steal a pic to send you.

BBC

ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual)
ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual) Reader
3/13/17 3:49 p.m.

Great pickup, still looks like a fresh shape in white. From the pictures it seems like you have a couple of 924s/944s lurking around, and decided to add the Sony version!

In reply to Billy_Bottle_Caps:

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork
3/13/17 9:16 p.m.

In reply to ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual):

Yeah I have been messing with 944's for a few years, curious how the RX7 will compare

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
3/14/17 10:06 a.m.

checked the stash - no dice. you should be able to wire in any comparably sized relay though, they aren't scary.

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork
3/14/17 12:26 p.m.

In reply to DaveEstey:

Thanks for checking, I appreciate it. Hopefully will make some more progress on the car this weekend

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork
3/14/17 8:12 p.m.

Stopped by junkyard today and got a good used battery for the RX7, so I don't have to steal one out of my other cars to try and start it. Also picked up a good used fuel pump relay off of another forum tonight, so if it isn't my problem, I will at least have a good spare on hand.  photo IMG_7072_zpsj8gdadbm.jpg  photo s-l1600-2_zpso4qj5y55.jpg

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
3/14/17 10:00 p.m.

If you decide to keep the car for awhile, I recommend wiring a relay into the headlight circuit so that all the load isn't going through the switch. This will prevent the common headlight switch melting problem these cars tend to have at higher mileages. Also clean all your marker bulb sockets and put dielectric grease in them to keep the resistance down.

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork
3/15/17 3:14 p.m.

In reply to JamesMcD:

Thanks for the tip.

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork
3/15/17 7:19 p.m.

Just got these today, hopefully will get to get car started this weekend.  photo IMG_7083_zpssnorpk83.jpg

Skervey
Skervey HalfDork
3/15/17 7:20 p.m.

Post some pic of the pump swap. Id like to see how its done in case I ever have to.

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork
3/15/17 7:33 p.m.

I can do that. Just looked through the Haynes manual looks pretty straight forward. I am hoping it is just the fuel pump relay, but I doubt if I will get that lucky!

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork
3/17/17 3:38 p.m.

I spent n hour today trying to get it started, with no luck Looked at Haynes manual, and went through fuel system troubleshooting. EGI fuse is good, as are all the rest of the fuses. The main fuel pump relay is good too, as I heard clicking. My new one isn't here yet to replace it and try, but I am sure it is good now. Did the jumper wire trick to prime the system. Could hear the fuel pump run no problem. I don't have a fuel pressure gauge so no way to check and see if it is getting enough pressure or not. That is when I tried the starting fluid, so I could at least hear it run again. No Dice. Not even a pop.Maybe more than one problem now, I am not sure. Hate to change the fuel pump since I can hear it run, but since I already have a new one, may try that in the morning. Will check back in with any updates.  photo IMG_7092_zps8gjb83pf.jpg photo IMG_7093_zpsoxkwl031.jpg photo IMG_7094_zpsyi6t3zcb.jpg photo IMG_7095_zpsjmn1fens.jpg

Skervey
Skervey HalfDork
3/17/17 3:54 p.m.

Check to see if you have spark before you do the fuel pump. Once the fuel pump gets wet yuo can't return it.

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork
3/17/17 5:22 p.m.

In reply to Skervey:

Will do. only have $17 in fuel pump, so I will keep that either way. Will check for spark tomorrow when I am back at the shop. Just had a bit of time today to work on it that I wasn't counting on, so that is cool. Will do a little google fu tonight to come up with a new plan of attack.

Fred_B
Fred_B New Reader
3/18/17 9:35 p.m.

Is the engine getting spark and fuel? Trouble shooting is the same as on a piston engine. It would be a real shame to part out your car, much too nice looking. At the very worst these cars are great candidates for engine transplants, light cars - 2800 lbs. and large engine bays. You can find almost any part for your RX7 on EBAY.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Reader
3/19/17 1:36 a.m.

A clicking relay does not mean a working relay - only that it is getting power. The contacts inside can and do wear out.

But if the pump is running, then it is probably working. A simple multimeter should be on your Christmas list. You would quickly know a lot more if you tested power at the relay and at the pump.

But it sounds like you should be checking for spark right now. That new multimeter is going to likely get pulled out again for this too :)

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork
3/19/17 12:12 p.m.

In reply to jfryjfry:

I think you are right. Need to check some voltage and start from there. Will try to tackle this next weekend, as I have some honey do projects to deal with now

BBC

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
3/20/17 9:58 a.m.

Always start with spark on a hard-starting or non-starting rotary. Spark plugs are a wear item in these things and need far more frequent replacement than one would normally expect.

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork
3/21/17 9:27 a.m.

In reply to DaveEstey:

Thanks for the input, greatly appreciate your wisdom in all things rotary

Ricky Spanish
Ricky Spanish Reader
3/21/17 9:39 a.m.

I know one guy with a GTUs and I offer to buy his car at least annually.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
3/21/17 9:46 a.m.

In reply to Billy_Bottle_Caps:

I wish I knew less about trouble-shooting them. I once spent half a day at a race chasing carb issues that were actually spark plug issues. Lesson learned and learned well.

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork
3/25/17 3:49 p.m.

Well it runs! Actually, it starts and dies, but that is a step in the right direction at least. Had a buddy come over for a bit and we went through the manual step by step. I have spark, and I have air, so it was either a compression or fuel issue. Had him spray a steady stream of starting fluid in it while I tried to start it, and it fired!. Guess me trying to spray fluid, get inside the car and start it just wasn't enough. We unhooked the fuel line and let the pump run and nothing came out of hose. Either a block fuel line or the pump, even though it pumps, doesn't pump enough. Will tackle it again next weekend. Will try to blow air through the entire fuel line after removing the new fuel filter I installed to make sure line is clear before changing pump. I am stoked! Thanks again for all the tips, greatly appreciated.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pCagKkNxFfyopIs6GXLPcD2xKqScjWv8KTrTlDntL5tYRAcYOZrXcs2G5yMGMvUI